MorphOS x86 I want this badly
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Only Bigfoot and a part of the team knows what he want to do.

But for sure we need to have a new hardware with suitable hardware prices.
    X64 is the easiest way now, it may change in the future but who knows ?

Powermacs are dying and pegasos too, so an ISA change is a NEED in a not so long future.
    My powerbook in now dying and i don't want to invest in a X5000, i prefer laptops and 2000 euros is too expansive for me....i'am seriously wandering about an isa change even with an unfinished operarting system with a sandbox for the abox at start.

A personnal message from east of france:

We have antivirus for computers but for humans it's more diffuclt, so protect you and your family !

Regards
  • »12.03.20 - 20:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    1mouse
    I have MorphOS installed on numerous Macs: Power Macs, Power Books and iBooks.

MorphOS is one of my favourite OSs to use and I feel very comfortable using it, for me at the moment I could do with a version to run on an AMD laptop as my 2 Powerbooks I use are falling to pieces.

I have always preferred laptops to desktops when at home which is why none of my Amiga machines really get much use.

I occasionally emulate and have played around with AROS with not much luck.

I have many old PC laptops that are crying out for a MorphOS port.
  • »06.06.20 - 21:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have many old PC laptops that are crying out for a MorphOS port.

It's unlikely that MorphOS/x64 will support those.
  • »06.06.20 - 22:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I have many old PC laptops that are crying out for a MorphOS port.

It's unlikely that MorphOS/x64 will support those.

Andreas is right. MorphOS/X64 is likely to be tailored to specific hardware. There is no way the team can support all the different chipsets available for X64. My hope is that they will focus on something AMD based.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.06.20 - 02:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Are there any News about the MorphOS AMD64 Port?
    Will there be a generic Chipset Support like for the b3x0, b4x0 and b550? Or for one specific Chipset and vendor Like MSI, Asus, Biostar?
    Can we the User somehow speed the Development Up. With things Like Pizza, Beer or some Cash to a PayPal Account?
    Is it Possible to Beta Test?
    I have quit some Machines with different Ryzen CPUs and Chipsets, Like 3x0 and 4x0 Chipset and different Zen 1 and 2 CPUs.

[ Editiert durch ThePlayer 31.07.2020 - 14:54 ]
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »31.07.20 - 11:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    There are rumors that specific motherboards for MorphOS AMD64 port were sold out.
    So they have to start from scratch.
  • »31.07.20 - 16:17
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    It would be misfortune - really.
  • »31.07.20 - 19:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    There are rumors that specific motherboards for MorphOS AMD64 port were sold out.

I’d call that a nonsense “rumor”, did you make that up yourself? “Start from scratch”, LOL... I highly doubt there would be any “specific motherboard” at all at this point, what was shown earlier was rather at a quite generic level, not much more than a new kernel. When the OS is getting close they will probably just write necessary drivers for whatever chipset family (from either Intel or AMD or both) that is hot by then, that is, in the beginning of its life cycle...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »31.07.20 - 19:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I can't Imagine they have to write it from scratch. Because the 3x0 and the 4x0 Chipset are very similar. Only the 5x0 Chipset Supports PCIx 4.0 and some of the Controllers are different on the Mainbaords. Like the NIC or Soundchip or an extra Chip for I/O.
    But maybe pega1 or Bigfoot could shed some light on this topic.

[ Editiert durch ThePlayer 01.08.2020 - 00:12 ]
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »31.07.20 - 22:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    We all know ppcamiga1's agenda from numerous other threads. hence just draw your own conclusions on his claims. Mine is something like >NIL:.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.07.20 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    We all know ppcamiga1's agenda from numerous other threads. hence just draw your own conclusions on his claims. Mine is something like >NIL:.

Yup, a troll that doesn't eat his own dog food.
  • »01.08.20 - 00:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

Is there some other fantasy you dreamed of and want to share with us? :)

It is hot and I am bored. Keep us entertained.

[ Edited by geit 01.08.2020 - 03:53 ]
  • »01.08.20 - 01:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    These rumors about MOS AMD64 port are plausible.
    Sold out of motherboards is good explanation of delay of release MOS AMD64 port.
    Yes of course, I laugh at MOS AMD64.
    Further dependence on specific hardware after breaking compatybility with 68k is extremely studpid.
    Make MOS open source and let everybody use it on anything they want.

[ Edited by ppcamiga1 01.08.2020 - 19:30 ]
  • »01.08.20 - 18:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

You make it for us, mate. Write it from scratch and GPL it for our benefit. It took the team only 20 years to get to this point. You're extremely talented so I guess 6 months will be OK to expect a full blown system made by you?
  • »01.08.20 - 19:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 schrieb:

Let's call it "AROS". Done.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.08.20 - 21:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    These rumors about MOS AMD64 port are plausible.
    Sold out of motherboards is good explanation of delay of release MOS AMD64 port.
    Yes of course, I laugh at MOS AMD64.
    Further dependence on specific hardware after breaking compatybility with 68k is extremely studpid.

The x64 demo shown at the Amiga event in Neuss was ported to the specific board the very same day and got finished during the event. It had ppc and 68k support.

So yeah. We are doomed.
  • »02.08.20 - 04:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    NVidia is trying to buy ARM and Apple is going to move from Intel to ARM. Even AMD made some ARM stuff. But the future is in the hands of TSMC. When they'll fail as Intel the progress is at the end.
  • »02.08.20 - 21:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    The x64 demo shown at the Amiga event in Neuss was ported to the specific board the very same day and got finished during the event. It had ppc and 68k support.

So yeah. We are doomed.

Users have not much clue about world outside PPC land, where ports from one PPC machine to other PPC machine takes ages and just replacing a Philips screw with a torx screw apparently requires a new driver or it stops running. If you have an OS running on x86/x64 motherboard XYZ then it is *much* faster and easier work to make it run on 100 other completely different x86/x64 boards with completely different chipsets than it is to have an OS running on PPC motherboard XYZ and make it run on one single other different PPC board with a different chipset.
  • »03.08.20 - 10:09
  • ASiegel
    @ Georg

Quote:

If you have an OS running on x86/x64 motherboard XYZ then it is *much* faster and easier work to make it run on 100 other completely different x86/x64 boards with completely different chipsets than it is to have an OS running on PPC motherboard XYZ and make it run on one single other different PPC board with a different chipset.

Bad day in the office?

It is worth differentiating between merely "making something run" and "making something run well." The devil is in the detail. Even minor deviations between mainboards and CPUs in terms of components or just firmware can create annoying technical problems.

Your comment is well beyond hyperbole.
  • »03.08.20 - 10:41
    connor
    Quote:

Georg wrote:
    Users have not much clue about world outside PPC land, where ports from one PPC machine to other PPC machine takes ages and just replacing a Philips screw with a torx screw apparently requires a new driver or it stops running.

It seems you have swapped PPC with "world outside". In this "world outside" (especially in Intel/AMD world) you often have the same board sold with one tiny thing changed and not mentioned. Sometimes not even a new revision of the board. And because of these little changes the developers or users have trouble.

Quote:

If you have an OS running on x86/x64 motherboard XYZ then it is *much* faster and easier work to make it run on 100 other completely different x86/x64 boards with completely different chipsets than it is to have an OS running on PPC motherboard XYZ and make it run on one single other different PPC board with a different chipset.

Is this the reason why AROS runs so perfectly on 100s of motherboards with very little changes? Because it is *much* faster to write 100 times new chipset drivers than only one time? Weird logic you have.
  • »03.08.20 - 12:43
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    There are not really any PC (motherboard) chipset (specific) drivers at all in AROS. Are there in other (better, more stable, running more perfectly?) hobby PC OSes? Haiku? Reactos?

If I'm so wrong, how would Bigfoot describe the effort/easiness/speed needed to port from one x64 PC motherboard to another completely different x64 motherboard. Compared to the effort/easiyness/speed of porting from one PPC machine to a different PPC machine. As he now has done both.

same
    a little bit easier
    easier
    much easier
    much much easier
    10 times easier
    ?
  • »03.08.20 - 15:43
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Quote:

There are not really any PC (motherboard) chipset (specific) drivers at all in AROS.

Ignoring onboard stuff like audio/network/gfx, as that is not required for the OS to run or run well and it is easy to use cheap external cards. MOS or AOS4 too not always supported immediately or supported "well" immediately (first public release) (or not even now years later) all onboard components.
  • »03.08.20 - 15:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

Is there some other fantasy you dreamed of and want to share with us? :)

It is hot and I am bored. Keep us entertained.

Says the man who would know.

Care to lay any surprises on us, Guido?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.08.20 - 00:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma

This is NGC 2899, a.k.a. ”MorphOS x64”. It’s 3000-6500 lightyears away...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.08.20 - 08:01
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma schrieb:
    This is NGC 2899, a.k.a. ”MorphOS x64”. It’s 3000-6500 lightyears away...

Which means it has already been completed 3000-6500 years ago, but in a different galaxy. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.08.20 - 11:03