Keyboard shortcut conflict
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    From a fresh MOS 3.10 install I noticed that the keyboard shortcut for opening a new shell windows did not work. This is "lcommand N".
    In the IControl Hotkeys settings, the desktop screen to front is also set to "lcommand n" by default.
    Also other programs (eg. Skecth) use the same shortcut command.

This is on a Powerbook keyboard, set to norwegian language. Not sure if it would act differently if I used a windows keyboard.

Anyway, I changed the IControl setting into "lcommand shift n" to resolve this, and the New shell shortcut worked after this.

I wonder if this affects other users, and if this default setting is made deliberately?
  • »03.06.18 - 17:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Try "rcommand n" to open a new shell, usually menu hotkeys are invoked with "rcommand".
  • »03.06.18 - 21:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I had always expected with MorphOS that there would be a shortcut key to create a "New Drawer", but there isn't, and I cannot see a way to implement such an option - anyone else know how to do so, as it seems to be an oversight that a New Shell Window has taken prcedence over creating a New Drawer, which would surely be more useful for most users. :-?

Also, I ran Snoopium and after about 20 seconds the whole of my system "froze", no mouse, no keyboard, no clock, etc., and I wasn't running anything else apart from opening a drive volume, so there was nothing contentious going on on my system that would cause such a crash, AFAIK. So then I tried SnoopDOS - same issue - total warm reebot required with both instances, so anyone else experienced such a "freeze" by running these tools? :-?

[ Edited by NewSense 03.06.2018 - 23:59 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.06.18 - 23:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    You can add a hotkey (for example "control n") in Ambient-Prefs/Keyboard, as command you use "Intern" and "MakeDir %S".
  • »04.06.18 - 14:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    From a fresh MOS 3.10 install I noticed that the keyboard shortcut for opening a new shell windows did not work. This is "lcommand N".
    In the IControl Hotkeys settings, the desktop screen to front is also set to "lcommand n" by default.

On my Powerbook (5,9) if I press "rcommand n" I get a new shell window, and if I press "lcommand n" it brings the Ambient screen to front. This is the same on Mac mini with PC keyboard etc and is the expected behaviour generally.

Quote:

This is on a Powerbook keyboard, set to norwegian language. Not sure if it would act differently if I used a windows keyboard.

Anyway, I changed the IControl setting into "lcommand shift n" to resolve this, and the New shell shortcut worked after this.

I wonder if this affects other users, and if this default setting is made deliberately?

Maybe you have some older Powerbook which has an ADB controlled internal keyboard? Those ADB keyboards don't make difference between left and right command keys and that brings some issues to usage. If you define a keyboard shortcut by using the "Sample" feature in IControl, do you get the same command key as a result from both sides?

With ADB keyboards you have to make your own configurations for what you need, because defaults don't work that well or get overlapped functionality. We can't do anything else for it, because it's a hardware issue caused by Apple :)
  • »04.06.18 - 16:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

igracki wrote: You can add a hotkey (for example "control n") in Ambient-Prefs/Keyboard, as command you use "Intern" and "MakeDir %S".

I have added that BRILLIANTLY simple addition to my shortcuts,so many thanks for that time-saving tip, Thomas 8-D

I've only been waiting for approx 6 years for someone to supply this simple yet highly useful option, so YIPPEE !! :bloons:

So, just in case others need to know more simply, with greater explanation how to do this. You just need to open the Ambient Settings > Keyboard, and below the preselected keyboard customisation options there is an area that has the wording Custom Commands Hotkeys that has a button at the very bottom of that area with the text on it "Add a Hotkey" so left-click on that, which allows a NEW set of fields/gadgets to enter a New Custom Commands Hotkey in it. So, then enter some text in the left field to identify to yourself what the key command is for "New Directory/Folder/Drawer" and then left-click on the mini-magnifying glass to allow the system to sample the key combination you want to use, and press the "LCommand" and "d" [d - for Directory/Drawer] keys, or whatever key combination you want to use, though I suppose you could type it all into the field, if you know for sure what the correct wording is. Then, input the Command as an "Internal" rather than AmigaDOS or Workbench, and the wording in the input field to read "MakeDir %S" press "Return/Enter/Send" and save the Ambient Prefs for it to work each time you startup your system. 8-)

My only other question(s) related to this "Create New Drawer" topic is, why isn't there a specific keyboard option setup by MorphOS to be able to do just that, as standard, or why didn't the Shell option get setup as the Control+n option (as it's more of a system command) and have the Right or Left Cmd+n as the Create New Drawer keyboard shortcut as that's more of a everyday general use command? :-?

[ Edited by NewSense 06.06.2018 - 01:14 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »04.06.18 - 20:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I've only been waiting for approx 6 years for someone to supply this
    > simple yet highly useful option,

Fab told you about this solution 5 years ago, to which you answered you would try it out :-)
  • »04.06.18 - 20:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Yes, but he didn't seem to make it so clear, or maybe I wasn't as "au-fait "with MorphOS at the time, but whatever the case was .......................

WHY, must you pick up on such insignificant things, let it go, relax, take a day off or a chill-pill, no-one will probably notice. ;-) I probably won't 8-)

AND, you're missing the important thing there, as to why there isn't a keyboard shortcut for "New Drawer" as there is on the original Amiga OS, and OS 4 - it's a system keyboard shortcut, or it should be, but hey, that's the insignificant point here isn't it .... I was told by FAB some time ago to try out something I asked about ........ and I need to be told that I was told already ........ but I didn't realise what he meant, or how to do it then, as Internal Command was sort of lost on me at that early stage in my MorphOS learning curve, so it didn't make sense to me at the time, but now it's easy to understand, but I wanted to make sure others got the benefit from my learning curve, by explaining it in detail, ................

BUT don't take a moment to say that might be helpful to someone else in the future, at an early stage in their MorphOS migration, like I have found it now to be for me .... no don't bother ..... just pass me those cryptic unnecessary comments as usual.

And hurry up about it ....... I'm getting "withdrawal symptoms already" .... please send me some more unnecessary comments to calm my poor nerves down. :-P
  • »04.06.18 - 21:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > he didn't seem to make it so clear, or maybe I wasn't as "au-fait "with
    > MorphOS at the time [...]. [...] I didn't realise what he meant, or how
    > to do it then, [...] so it didn't make sense to me at the time

I'm pretty sure Fab would have happily gone into more detail if asked to do so accordingly, so you wouldn't have had to suffer so badly for "approx 6 years" :-)

> you're missing the important thing there, as to why there isn't a keyboard
    > shortcut for "New Drawer" [...], that's the insignificant point here isn't it

No, I've not missed it and neither do I deem it insignificant. It's just that I don't know as I'm not a MorphOS team member. It's that simple, really.

> I was told by FAB some time ago to try out something I asked about

Not quite. He just explained how to go about this issue. It was you who said he would try it out.

> I need to be told that I was told already

I'm not sure you need to but thought you might *want* to know.

> just pass me those cryptic [...] comments as usual.

Are you mistaking me for someone else maybe?

> please send me some more unnecessary comments

Let's not forget about "cryptic", shall we? :-)
  • »04.06.18 - 22:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Ooooooh . . . . . it seems you've missed the target this time, and my stress levels are falling out of control ....... Aaarrgh !

Oooh . . . . . ahh . . . . a soft landing . . . back in MorphOS heaven again, luverly, just blue skies and bright sunshine . . . with just a brief interlude of time for some shade. 8-)

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wake me up gently when it's Wulf time again. :-P

Though I would prefer to stay focused on improving MorphOS for the future, for everyone. 8-D
  • »05.06.18 - 00:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    On my Powerbook (5,9) if I press "rcommand n" I get a new shell window, and if I press "lcommand n" it brings the Ambient screen to front. This is the same on Mac mini with PC keyboard etc and is the expected behaviour generally.

Maybe you have some older Powerbook which has an ADB controlled internal keyboard? Those ADB keyboards don't make difference between left and right command keys and that brings some issues to usage. If you define a keyboard shortcut by using the "Sample" feature in IControl, do you get the same command key as a result from both sides?

With ADB keyboards you have to make your own configurations for what you need, because defaults don't work that well or get overlapped functionality. We can't do anything else for it, because it's a hardware issue caused by Apple :)

You are right, it was just me drawing hasty conclusions here. rcommand does indeed work for me as well.
    I just asumed lcommand was the one to use, since all the other menu items did work with lcommand, expect for the New Shell.
  • »05.06.18 - 21:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I have already customised/changed my "Screen to Back" key from "LCommand m" to "LCommand x" - for 2 reasons: -

1. it's easier to use 'x' as it's closer to the 'LCommand' key
    2. it's easier to remember that the "x" changes the screen, which 'm' doesn't seem to remind me of

I also added the Custom Keyboard Command - to create a New Drawer, with the keyboard, instead of having to use the right hand mouse menu, with the 2 key option LCmd+d - as explained in comment 6 of this thread, above, so I can create a directory in a partition or sub-directory simply at the press of 2 keys that are easy to use, and easy to remember.

I also realised that the MorphOS default keys for using system option "Find" which is marked as using RCommand+f - also, and without any logical reason has highjacked the LCommand+f keypress to do the same thing - even though it is not shown assigned as those keys.

Anyone know why that anomaly happens to be the situation? :-?
  • »06.06.18 - 01:29