Peg2 died
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Some weeks ago my Peg2 died. No startupscreen any more. I changed the power supply, but that didn't help. Is there anybody in the Netherlands that has a working G4 for a Pegasos? I'm not so really into computers, but I assume I can change the board myself.
    (I think that waiting for the intel-version will take still a (too) long time)
    I'm now working on a Linux computer, but I'm missing my Peg....

Regards, Tom
    Heesch, The Netherlands)
  • »08.01.18 - 15:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Does anything show signs of life? The power supply? The fans? From what I know It's possible to see the debug log through RS232 port (assuming there's some life left in your Peg2).
  • »08.01.18 - 16:50
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    naTmeg
    Hi Tom,

bPlan, the manufacturer of the Peg2, does still offer a repair service. My Peg died too last year, but got repaired by them. Price is 150-300€, depending on the problem. Just ask, they are very supportive.

http://www.bplan-gmbh.de/contact.html

Good luck.
  • »08.01.18 - 17:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    I heard some rumors that they stopped their services, but I can try. The board has already been repaired some years ago.
    And well, the lights are blinking,the fan is turning and I can open and close the DVD-drive. But no sound of the harddisks at all, and nothing on the screen.

Tom
  • »08.01.18 - 17:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

bPlan, the manufacturer of the Peg2, does still offer a repair service. My Peg died too last year, but got repaired by them. Price is 150-300€, depending on the problem.

Man, you've got to have a deep, sentimental attachment to this computer... For that money you could get yourself 3 working G5 PowerMacs, transfer your MorphOS licence to one of them and have two in spare. Unless you need a dual-boot with OS4, then it kind of makes sense.

@Tomo:

I'd try replacing the memory stick, then the debug mode through COM. The null-modem cable costs somewhat less than 150-300€ anyway, and you say you've got another computer at hand.

[ Edited by koszer 08.01.2018 - 17:20 ]
  • »08.01.18 - 17:17
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    I'd suggesting testing or replacing the battery rather than more expensive items. If the system is used infrequently the battery is more likely to be drained.
  • »08.01.18 - 17:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Can understand him: PEG2 is able to run MOS, OS4, Linux and Mac (MacOnLinux)......

Looks like your CPU-Card has died.....hope BPlan can repair it.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »08.01.18 - 17:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Hi Tom,

Quote:

bPlan, the manufacturer of the Peg2, does still offer a repair service. My Peg died too last year, but got repaired by them. Price is 150-300€, depending on the problem. Just ask, they are very supportive.

http://www.bplan-gmbh.de/contact.html

I recently contacted bPlan and they are not fixing Pegasos computers anymore. They used to, but not anymore, as least that is what they answered me, on a recent email. I asked because my Pegasos 2 also recently died. Of course anyone can contact them and get this info directly.

[ Edited by CountRaven 08.01.2018 - 17:38 ]
  • »08.01.18 - 18:34
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    You wil be lucky if it is the CPU board, cause with some luck you can find a replacement.
    The symptoms you described makes me think of a dead board OR CPU card.

In the case of a dead board, a common issue is the dead Marvell Discovery II MV64361 Northbridge.

At least this was the case on my case. Cause I had two dead Pegasos 2 in total.

Perhaps you could be lucky and the case is the CPU module. In that case, yes a replacement Module would do the trick. Try to find one and check with your existing board.
  • »08.01.18 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    I have opened a looking for... topic for a replacement motherboard https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12216&forum=38. A very kind gentleman here was offered to sell me replacement board so you can contact him about a CPU module for testing reasons.
  • »08.01.18 - 18:46
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    naTmeg
    Now i became curious and looked at the docs. My repair was 120€ and it was in August 2016, but I've also ordered five extra-coolers, that's why I had something over 200 in mind. I remember the discussion were we agreed, that the fix should cost the half of the price of the new board maximum.

So if the rumors are true, maybe my board was one of the last, which they fixed :/

Quote:

koszer:
    Man, you've got to have a deep, sentimental attachment to this computer... For that money you could get yourself 3 working G5 PowerMacs

I can say nothing against that :)
  • »08.01.18 - 19:08
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Man, you've got to have a deep, sentimental attachment to this computer... For that money you could get yourself 3 working G5 PowerMacs

PowerMacs are cool and MorphOS x86 would be cool, but it would be cool if could have a new, cheap board on the Amiga NG world, that could boot MorphOS, AmigaOS 4, PPC Linux and MOL -to run MacOSX-, just like Pegoaos 2 could. A board in which we do our hobby -alternative, Amiga oriented computing, focused on MorphOS-. a board that would not cost a fortune, and that it would be easy repairable in case of damage.

[ Edited by CountRaven 09.01.2018 - 00:24 ]
  • »09.01.18 - 01:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Thank you all for your answers. I think the best option for me is to go for a Mac. I like programs like Showgirls, Mplayer (works better than SMPlayer on Linux), Transfer, MLDonkey (don't get it working on my Linux) etc. They are simpel en not overloaded with options...
    And I need to read my SFS-partitions for a lot of data. (Is there a possibillity to read them on a linux-machien?)

Again, thank you all, Tom
  • »09.01.18 - 21:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Hi,

is this a good Powermac:
    Power Mac G5
    Model: A1177 EMC No. 2023
    Assembled in Ireland

Price 50 Euro

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/desktops-apple/m1247591346-apple-power-mac-g5-13-stuks-op-voorraad.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

Regards, tom
  • »24.01.18 - 17:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is this a good Powermac:
    > Power Mac G5
    > Model: A1177 EMC No. 2023

No, this is unsupported PowerMac11,2.
  • »24.01.18 - 18:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > is this a good Powermac:
    > Power Mac G5
    > Model: A1177 EMC No. 2023

No, this is unsupported PowerMac11,2.

But the guy seems to have the earlier PowerMac supported by MorphOS (the one without plastic Airport/Bluetooth antenna in the back - see the photo here). He's got 13 pieces, so probably at least one is MorphOS compatible.
  • »24.01.18 - 19:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Hi Koszer,

I have to look for model A1047 PowerMac?
    That is the only supported type?

regards, Tom
  • »25.01.18 - 13:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Tomo wrote:
    Hi Koszer,

I have to look for model A1047 PowerMac?
    That is the only supported type?

regards, Tom

Precisely. The "cost reduced" and dual/quad core versions aren't supported. And if you're getting A1047 it would be nice if it had Radeon gfx card.
  • »25.01.18 - 13:40
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Hi Koszer,

I bought the G5 and solved the first problem: De DVD-player was broken.
    I took out the NVidia A146 and replaced it with an ATI-card from my old Peg, but the screen stays grey.
    I tried another Video-card (I think it is a Voodoo, but I'm not sure, can't find a name on the card).
    Is there something else I forgot?
    If I start up in Apple-mode I can now find the DVD-player and can read the content of the Morphos-CD.

regards Tom
  • »06.02.18 - 16:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > replaced it with an ATI-card from my old Peg, but the screen stays grey.

PPC Macs need dedicated (or flashed) graphics cards with PPC-compatible ROM. With MorphOS and Linux this can be circumvented by using an AtomBIOS-based Radeon (R500+) card*.

> I tried another Video-card (I think it is a Voodoo, but I'm not sure, can't find a name on the card).

What happened?

Edit: * While early AtomBIOS versions came already somewhen during R400 series, the MorphOS AtomBIOS parser seems to require the newer AtomBIOS versions that started with the R500 series.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 19.01.2021 - 00:57 ]
  • »06.02.18 - 17:46
    CountRaven
    Quote:

I bought the G5 and solved the first problem: De DVD-player was broken.
    I took out the NVidia A146 and replaced it with an ATI-card from my old Peg, but the screen stays grey.
    I tried another Video-card (I think it is a Voodoo, but I'm not sure, can't find a name on the card).

Hello. I do not think all those old cards used on Peg2 would work on the G5 anyway.
  • »06.02.18 - 19:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    @ Andreas:

The screen stays gray. Just the same as with the Radeon.

What card will work?

Regards Tom
  • »06.02.18 - 20:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I doubt a Voodoo video card would work correctly.
    PCI cards have been problematic in G5s, and a Voodoo AGP card does not work at AGP 8X voltage.
    And even if that wasn't an issue, if it is a Voodoo 4 or 5 (instead of a Voodoo 3), the colors wouldn't be displayed correctly anyway.

For the system mentioned, a Radeon 9200/9250, 9600, 9800, or X800XT with an Apple rom would be the best choice.

Alternately an X1950Pro or X1600 AGP PC video card could be used.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.02.18 - 21:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I seem to remember fitting a Radeon 9200 PCI Gfx card in my PowerMac G5 to check if it would be useful, and it did at least work, though it obviously wasn't in the AGP slot, so a lot slower, but useful if you've nothing else. That worked for MorphOS as well as for Mac OS X I seem to remember, but as I said, it wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

I later got a Radeon 9600 PowerMac G5 Mac Apple standard 128MB Gfx card for £1 which is in my system now, and is more straightforward to use.

Quote:

Andreas Wolf: With MorphOS and Linux this can be circumvented by using an AtomBIOS-based Radeon (R500+) card.

Which specific cards are these - specifically by model number, if you know? :-? (haha/huhu - Andreas NOT know something about what he quoted?!)
    Quote:

Jim: Alternately an X1950Pro or X1600 AGP PC video card could be used

They still seem to sell for quite a lot, and they don't seem to be that easy to source, or are they?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.02.18 - 01:52