Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

Looks like I may need to resort to Thunderbird or some other bloated E-Mail client on Linux after all. Claws is nice, slim & fast but Oauth2 support in it's current state is a mess. :-(

I also had problems authenticating to Yahoo mail and Gmail with Claws, but after setting an app password for Claws with both services it is working fine in my pi.

Of course, Iris works out of the box :)
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »04.06.22 - 17:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    With improvement of Iris Mail and Wayfarer I can again use my Pegasos 2 and now also Mac Mini like main home computers for browsing and messaging.

In past I am using Pegasos 2 with Yam for many years, but during the time Yam stayed for me unusable due to missing IMAP. So last several years I used Mozilla + Thunderbird ( or web client ).

Today I wrote again my first email over the last few years on Pegasos 2. And this post is written also on Pegasos.

So many thanks @jacadcaps! And thanks to all involved.
    That is very nice.

I have only little request - please, is it possible to show on message list which messages have attachment?
    I am absolutely not sure, how complex this addition is for coder, but I'm very used to it.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »07.06.22 - 21:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @sailor:

IMAP doesn't actually pass this information in the mail headers - you need to download the whole mime message structure to know whether there are attachments in a mail or not. I've chosen not to do this for one simple reason - speed. Fetching the whole message structure would have made index synchronization at least 5-6 times slower.

That said, I'll have to see if I can obtain this info asynchronously once the index is downloaded.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 09.06.2022 - 15:34 ]
  • »09.06.22 - 14:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @jacadcaps
    thank you!
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »10.06.22 - 08:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Haven't written much here for a while. Iris is mostly complete from my POV, even if I still have a TODO list for it. One notable thing missing is Exchange - that one might never happen. The other, though, is about to change:

While this is a separate application, this will integrate into Iris, creating a suite of apps. Once you have carddav, the next logical step is caldav, of course.
  • »07.12.22 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Oh wow, caldav would be great! :)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »07.12.22 - 22:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    IRIS V1.6 is out:

History:

- Fixed a crash if a new folder was added as an INBOX subfolder on the server
    - Settings UI improvements, missing help bubbles, etc
    - External image viewer option for image attachments in mail reader
    - Autoconfiguration disabled for POP3 entirely. While POP3 accounts may still be
    manually added, they are eventually going to be deprecated in Iris entirely
    - Updated all localizable strings to use safe formatting tokens since some of the
    translations would cause Iris to crash
    - Updated WebKit, cURL and other libraries

Thank you, Jacad!

Manually config of POP3 is not a big issue. Automatic config never works properly (in my case).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »18.01.23 - 17:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

POP3 accounts … are eventually going to be deprecated in Iris entirely

Why? :-(
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.01.23 - 00:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote: Why? :-(

in response to . . .
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: POP3 accounts … are eventually going to be deprecated in Iris entirely

I too wonder . . . why? :-?

POP3 is still highly useable, and worthy of support, my email is generally accessed via POP3 so to see it no longer supported, or at the very least placed on 'the back burner' would be a retrograde situation for me. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.01.23 - 02:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> POP3 accounts … are eventually going to be deprecated in Iris entirely

> Why? :-(

Comments #228, #281 and #413 contain some reasoning.
  • »19.01.23 - 09:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    POP3 currently barely works in Iris and most operations are not possible at all. It's slow. It's unsupported. I never test POP3. This isn't going to change because I'm involved in so many MorphOS project, that there's no way I'd find the time to get the support to where I'd like it to be. Therefore, it's getting cut.
  • »19.01.23 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    To reiterate:

- You can replace POP3 access by making a paid or free IMAP mail account and have it download your POP3 mails
    - If you're using POP3 because you want your emails on your HDD - Iris can download all emails to your drive too, it's in the Account settings...
    - And if you're using POP3 because you don't want your emails in the cloud to prevent Google and others from scanning you, take a minute to think whether your interlocutors share the same concerns
  • »19.01.23 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Thank you jacadcaps, however after installing I got few surprices, I lost main menu, menu context, I cannot use search and if I try to install Iris form the scrach can't find optins in the window to select prowider (I can see buttons without fonts). I quess, I miss some library. Could you help me please?
  • »19.01.23 - 19:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @zbysiuk

Sorry for that. Please delete Catalogs/polski entirely and try again. As for empty buttons in the provider window - my guess is you have not copied all of the files from the Iris archive and so the images are missing.
  • »19.01.23 - 20:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    1.7 is now out to address the polski.catalog issue. It also fixes 2 crashes I've spotted while testing.
  • »19.01.23 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Thank you again, it works!
    And 1.7 installed too :)
    Have a good night guys!
  • »19.01.23 - 21:47
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    1.7 is now out to address the polski.catalog issue. It also fixes 2 crashes I've spotted while testing.

After update 1.5 to 1.6 I noticed one inconsistency in list of emails. However when I used "Reload index" function, everything back to perfect state. Now everything works well (version 1.7 too).
    I still can't believe that we have really modern e-mail client with IMAP. Thank you!
  • »21.01.23 - 18:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris 1.8 is now out!

- Use the dedicated image viewer when editing mail attachments
    - Implemented sorting by address & subject using ICU collation
    - Bugfixes
    - Updated libcURL and related libs
  • »27.02.23 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    (nevermind :) )

[ Edited by jacadcaps 27.02.2023 - 21:50 ]
  • »27.02.23 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    1.9 now out to fix a minor regression.
  • »01.03.23 - 17:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Version 1.11 now out!

- Faster message refresh when viewing a folder - instead of checking the status of all messages, Iris will now check small batches as you scroll
    - Faster refreshes of large folders when switching between folders
    - Additional message list optimizations and fixes
    - Improved scaling of images embedded in email contents in the message writer
    - Updated WebKit
  • »09.04.23 - 23:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    1.12 now available for download!

- Improved message previews, added loading animation
    - Improved HTML message sanitization
    - Fixed handling of deleted messages in the reader
    - Undo/Redo buttons in text editor get enabled/disabled as undo status changes
    - Display more information on errors when loading a message into the reader view
    - Added an additional check and requester before sending an email with an empty To field
  • »13.04.23 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website