Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Thank you Jacadcaps - you are the best - HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • »30.12.18 - 10:57
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Iris sometimes 'hangs' at sending emails. Reading incoming email and check for new email still works then. The good thing is 'to be sent' emails remain in the 'Outgoing' folder when they can't be sent. After restarting Iris managed to send the two failed emails. Which is good for me, but bad for checking the logs what went wrong in the first place. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »14.01.19 - 22:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yes, well aware that the handling of connection issues is not ideal. It’ll improve in futue releases. Sending is done by contacting two servers (SMTP and IMAP) so if one connection gets stuck, the process will not complete.

I am currently busy with other stuff (but it’s stuff that will make me more efficient while programming Iris), but my current Iris build has OWBSlave integrated into main binary, and stable. 2 more weeks!

After giving this a lot of thought, I have decided to phase out POP3 support from Iris. This will happen in the next few versions. Due to time constraints, I’ll realistically be able to do either good POP3 support or things like calendar and contacts.

This is your chance to protest before the removal happens.
  • »22.01.19 - 09:26
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Dropping POP3 seems plausible to me. The other Amiga email clients handle POP3 quite well, not so IMAP. I vote for calendar & contacts.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »22.01.19 - 10:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Yes, well aware that the handling of connection issues is not ideal. It’ll improve in futue releases. Sending is done by contacting two servers (SMTP and IMAP) so if one connection gets stuck, the process will not complete.

I am currently busy with other stuff (but it’s stuff that will make me more efficient while programming Iris), but my current Iris build has OWBSlave integrated into main binary, and stable. 2 more weeks!

After giving this a lot of thought, I have decided to phase out POP3 support from Iris. This will happen in the next few versions. Due to time constraints, I’ll realistically be able to do either good POP3 support or things like calendar and contacts.

I vote for POP3 as I still do it the POP3 way (I prefer it locally) and YAM is okay, but I would welcome Iris as successor.
    Regarding a contact manager, I am working on my own (mailaddresses, web addresses, phone, addreses, birthdays, pictures, relation), hence no need, by me at least.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 22.01.2019 - 16:12 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »22.01.19 - 13:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    jarokuczi
    I prefer using IMAP so I vote for the calendar and contacts.
  • »23.01.19 - 09:26
    beworld
    I vote for all :-)

It's possible Exchange Support or ActiveSync ? For professional use ?
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »23.01.19 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Unfortunately support for Microsoft technologies is not planned. It is my understanding, however, that these days Microsoft provides IMAP support in Exchange servers so you should be able to use Iris via IMAP.
  • »23.01.19 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'd prefer to keep POP3, as well as the other IMAP, calendar & contacts benefits, as I predominantly use POP3, but if I have to choose, then IMAP & POP3. ;-)

Thanks for all your hard work for us all jacadcaps

[ Edited by NewSense 24.01.2019 - 20:30 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.01.19 - 17:44
    beworld
    Quote:

jacadcaps a écrit :
    Unfortunately support for Microsoft technologies is not planned. It is my understanding, however, that these days Microsoft provides IMAP support in Exchange servers so you should be able to use Iris via IMAP.

Indeed, thanks jacadcaps !
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »24.01.19 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

I vote for IMAP & good POP3, which IMO is the most necessary for a good e-mail client! Calendar and contacts are other programms, or add-ons to an e-mail client.

Regards

Christoph
  • »26.01.19 - 05:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

I would like to have an option to store and access old mails locally without network connection, also so that it wouldn't remove them if removed from the server (at least if server purges them for some reason without manual user deletion). If that can be done with IMAP, I'll be fine without POP3 too. Protocol per se isn't that important to me, but it's just been that traditionally POP3 has acted like that for sure.

I don't know if an email client should have a calendar, that can be done with separate programs. Or what kind of calendar that would be? Would it be able to sync with Google Calendar etc and that's why you'd like to implement it to an email client?

Contacts would of course be nice in an email client, but I think it could be very simplistic. Just store names and email addresses, and have easy access to them when writing new mails. Or are you planning to sync these with something external too?
  • »26.01.19 - 09:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You can already enable an offline mode where emails are cached locally. The option to archive server-deleted emails isn’t ready yet though.

As for calendar, the idea is to have something that can sync with the server calendar, which is why it has to be integrated. Same for contacts.
  • »26.01.19 - 09:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    You can already enable an offline mode where emails are cached locally. The option to archive server-deleted emails isn’t ready yet though.

But if it's coming, I think I'll be fine without POP3. I don't think there are any POP3 only servers either, they all do support IMAP too.

Quote:

As for calendar, the idea is to have something that can sync with the server calendar, which is why it has to be integrated. Same for contacts.

Ok, sounds like a good plan. Supporting POP3 just complicates things... I think many people would appreciate these additions more after all.
  • »26.01.19 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    A new beta is currently in internal testing. Will hopefully be released over the weekend.
  • »08.02.19 - 11:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Good job JacAdCapS! :D
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »08.02.19 - 11:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris beta 46 is now available.

- Integrated WebKit - OWBSlave is no more
    - Fixed a folder syncing error after emptying a folder
  • »08.02.19 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Looks like there is an issue with Iris’s main thread running out of signals (breaks saving attachments, etc). Fix tonight.
  • »09.02.19 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Beta 47 is now available!
  • »09.02.19 - 15:29
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks! Working fine since 10 min or so. ;-)
  • »09.02.19 - 15:43
    tolkien
    Thanks so much Jacadpads!
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »09.02.19 - 18:30
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Hmm, under some circumstances Iris grows memory until there's none left and has 100% CPU usage in that process. Lets see if I find a file or some situation which realiably triggers this...
  • »10.02.19 - 14:59