The wait for 3.10 :(
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    I feel like there's been a significant downward trend in interest in MorphOS while we wait for 3.10 to be released. Software for MorphOS has also been infrequently released or updated. It's a shame, I don't feel as excited about using my MorphOS computers lately. Anyone else feel this way?
  • »24.07.17 - 19:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    I feel like there's been a significant downward trend in interest in MorphOS while we wait for 3.10 to be released. Software for MorphOS has also been infrequently released or updated. It's a shame, I don't feel as excited about using my MorphOS computers lately. Anyone else feel this way?

The silence is indeed deafening...

:-(
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.07.17 - 19:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

esc wrote:

The silence is indeed deafening...

:-(

Ah, its double edged sword there isn't it?
    I mean this is not a full time job for any of these guys, but at the same time the delays may costs us users.

Still, from what little I've heard about 3.10 it should be a pretty good release.
    So for us who are patient, the rewards will come.

And if you already own a licensed copy of MorphOS, you get this for free, so...
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.07.17 - 20:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    It just means the update is huge and not just eye candy and three bugfixes. :D
  • »24.07.17 - 21:27
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

geit wrote:

It just means the update is huge and not just eye candy and three bugfixes. :D

Do not underestimate the value of eye candy :-)
  • »24.07.17 - 22:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Will we have to pay for updated Radeon drivers?

....imagine ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »24.07.17 - 22:47
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    To put things into context a bit, MorphOS 1.3 was first released as a non-beta OS in 2003, fourteen years ago. Compare that to some historical cases:

Commodore 64 was released in 1982. Not many people were still using it in 1996.
    Windows 95 was released in 1995. People were certainly not using it in 2009.
    AmigaOS 1.3 was released in 1988, and not being used in 2002, at least not for its Workbench functionality.

...and so on.

So I think MorphOS is doing quite well, considering. It still gets updates, albeit slow ones, and still has users. Could be a lot worse. You could be getting screwed over for every tiny driver update like those poor OS4 guys, for instance.
  • »24.07.17 - 22:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS 1.3 was first released as a non-beta OS in 2003, fourteen years ago. [...]
    > Windows 95 was released in 1995. People were certainly not using it in 2009.
    > AmigaOS 1.3 was released in 1988, and not being used in 2002

I see what you did there :-)
    People were using Windows in 2009 and they're still using it. AmigaOS was being used in 2002 and still is. I can't imagine MorphOS 1.3 is still being used today, when even the most recent version for PowerUP is 1.4.5.
  • »25.07.17 - 00:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Will we have to pay for updated Radeon drivers?

....imagine ;-)

Very funny. No, Bigfoot loves busting his ass for free (that IS sarcasm, but he has worked really hard on the latest video drivers).
    I had originally thought that he'd only release updated R600 and R700 drivers (and those apparently are going to be damned good and they are supposed to feature composting), but its beginning to look like to HD 5000 and 6000 series cards will get accelerated drivers as well. ALTHOUGH, I'd caution, that is my impression and NOT an official announcement.
    What makes it into 3.10 will no doubt depend on what is ready when the team decides to release it.
    And all these guys have full time jobs, so I can handle a delay if it means more good stuff. ;-)
    Also, when have we ever not gotten more than we expected? ;-)

Further, I'd agree with Andre, eye candy is good!

BUT, I can't wait to see what everyone else has thrown into this update.
    I kind of LIKE surprises, so believe it or not, I refrain from asking questions.

Beside, every decision the development team has made while I've been using this OS has been damned good, so why question anything?

[ Edited by Jim 24.07.2017 - 21:34 ]
  • »25.07.17 - 02:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Patience, it's coming.
  • »25.07.17 - 12:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Patience, it's coming.

Well, we've been waiting for it for 802 days already. A dozen (or a few dozens) more doesn't make much difference, does it?
  • »25.07.17 - 12:57
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Patience, it's coming.

Hey Jacek,
    Do you know if anyone will have an X5000 to display the beta of 3.10 on at AmiWest this Fall?
    If I could manage free up the time to be there I'd arrange for one.
    Mark offered me beta drivers for a video card for that purpose, but unfortunately I recently changed positions and it doesn't look like I'll be able to arrange the time off.

Pity, I would liked to be there with you and David.

[ Edited by Jim 25.07.2017 - 08:24 ]
  • »25.07.17 - 13:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Jim,

unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the show.
  • »25.07.17 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Jim,

unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the show.

I guess that makes two of us.
    Pity you can't make it, any issues related to entry into my somewhat paranoid homeland?
    The last time I checked they were both requiring visas for people from some countries (while others had no such issues).
    It's a very uneven approach.

[ Edited by Jim 25.07.2017 - 09:03 ]
  • »25.07.17 - 14:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    No, it's unrelated to a visa - I already have one and I've been to US in 2017.
  • »25.07.17 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    No, it's unrelated to a visa - I already have one and I've been to US in 2017.

That's cool.
    Seem rediculous to have to have one, but what can you do?
  • »25.07.17 - 17:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I dont even know what all will be in 3.10 so I have nothing to get excited about. LOL
  • »25.07.17 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    Yeah, circling back to some earlier comments, I understand the dev resources are constrained and that this is mostly just a hobby. That said, I always get excited when a new version is released, and that always energizes people to port more software over, so...I guess I'm saying that overall I'm very optimistic, it's just...been a while. :)
  • »25.07.17 - 20:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    Yeah, circling back to some earlier comments, I understand the dev resources are constrained and that this is mostly just a hobby. That said, I always get excited when a new version is released, and that always energizes people to port more software over, so...I guess I'm saying that overall I'm very optimistic, it's just...been a while. :)

I booted my PowerBook for the first time in months last week to create a MorphOS port of my friend's software.Git doesn't work with github due to certificate errors. Updated to the latest certificates from the curl website, still didn't work. Couldn't download a zip of the repo from the github website due to Odyssey not working correctly with github.

Ended up copying the source with a USB stick in the end and then I couldn't even email my changes to him via webmail nor simplemail, so had to upload an archive to a file hosting service.

Hopefully 3.10 will come soon and provide a better working environment.

[ Edited by Intuition 26.07.2017 - 01:01 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »26.07.17 - 00:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Any word that PowerMacs beyond 7.3 are supported?
  • »26.07.17 - 15:06
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    Any word that PowerMacs beyond 7.3 are supported?

Beyond 7,3...like maybe the PowerMac11,2? ;-)
    Nope nothing what so ever.

And the last time I talked to anyone they were doing their development work on older equipment or an AmigaOne X5000 or SAM460.

That doesn't mean someone hasn't tried it, it just mean they aren't talking.
    And we've seen surprise releases before.

But, since the next release should bring X5000 support, releasing PCIe G5 support might eat into the market for that (not that the development team necessarily has to worry about Aeon's marketing, but...).

Hey, it WOULD be nice to have PCIe G5 support, but I'm not sure that the G5 can be upgraded past the Radeon HD 6970.
    I haven't seen anyone running a GCN video card on these machines, and I get conflicting information as to whether or nor PCIe 3.0 cards will work in the G5's 1.0 slot.

Still, a Quad core G5 with a Radeon HD 6670 or 6750 would be nice.

I keep one around to run Linux on, and its still a very competitive machine, 12 years after its introduction.
  • »26.07.17 - 20:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    There is no real market for MorphOS on the X5000.

Most systems are bought by hardcore OS4 fans and most of them will never (at least officially) even try MorphOS on that system.

Why everyone wants a Quad-G5? It makes no sense. At least not for MorphOS.

We only support only one Core. Nothing will change that in the near future.

Better go for a 1.8 to 2.3 Ghz G5 with air cooling. It is cheap, fast and simply works.

[ Edited by geit 26.07.2017 - 21:58 ]
  • »26.07.17 - 20:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Better go for a 1.8 to 2.3 Ghz G5 with air cooling. It is cheap, fast and simply works.

Well, That's always 0,2 GHz more than the next fastest one. And if you plan to use it in dual/triple boot the extra cores really count.

Speaking about "1,8 to 2,3 GHz with air cooling" you mean the AGP Dual Processor ones, or PCIe Dual Core ones? Dual Core isn't clocked lower than 2,0 GHz anyway...
  • »26.07.17 - 21:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    There is no real market for MorphOS on the X5000.

Most systems are bought by hardcore OS4 fans and most of them will never (at least officially) even try MorphOS on that system.

We only support only one Core. Nothing will change that in the near future.

I have a Quad because I run Linux on it, and want the best performance I can get.
    As to the whole air cooling vs water cooling argument, I couldn't care less.
    The water cooled AGP G5s have served me flawlessly.
    And they perform better (although 2.3 vs 2.7 isn't that big a deal, but Quad 2.5 vs Dual 2.3 under Linux, THAT is significant).

SO, MorphOS is just one operating system I'd use on a PCIe G5 (if I could).

And as to the X5000, I'm considering one.
    Even if we had PCIe G5 support, I'm not sure we could get those systems to run GCN graphics cards (and Mark already has a few GCN cards that may lead to the eventual support of later Radeons).
    And, and I know this isn't a big selling point for most of us, that system can run both OS4 and MorphOS.

Further, if I purchase one, it would be new, not twelve years old.
    Frankly that, and the fact that its not an Apple are good selling points for me.

[ Edited by Jim 26.07.2017 - 16:22 ]
  • »26.07.17 - 21:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I just meant, there were some really nice ones (late 2005) PowerMac11,2 , Dual 2.3 GHz on eBay.
    But I remembered 7,3 is the last one supported (early 2005).

Manfred
  • »26.07.17 - 21:26