Hyperion's assets
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    when's MorphOS 3.10 coming?

Well, if you ask again tomorrow, I will tell you that the release is one day closer than today!
  • »30.05.17 - 19:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    when's MorphOS 3.10 coming?

Well, if you ask again tomorrow, I will tell you that the release is one day closer than today!

So it won't be today? Damn!
  • »30.05.17 - 20:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Both trying to license what they don't think they already have the rights to.

What are Hyperion and Cloanto trying to license from whom?

> And they both have filed for the copyrights (as has Matt @ AmigaKit).

Which copyrights have Hyperion, Cloanto and AmigaKit filed for?

I think he meant trademarks.

8 pages for those interested

• »30.05.17 - 20:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

There is currently a war going on between Hyperion and Cloanto. When that is over, and when the dust settles, a new situation will become visible.

Gee, I was right once again. I said that was happening as soon as HYPErion started selling OS3.1 and a few high profile members here mocked the idea. It was pretty obvious though. Hopefully Cloanto takes HYPE to court and puts them out of business. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I should being Commodore Amiga Iran out of retirement just for the lolz seeing as the sanctions are over. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.05.17 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> And they both have filed for the copyrights (as has Matt @ AmigaKit).

>> Which copyrights have Hyperion, Cloanto and AmigaKit filed for?

> I think he meant trademarks.

Which trademarks has AmigaKit filed for?
  • »30.05.17 - 21:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

No new ones. But...

He added this legal page right before the trademark thread that I referred to got extremely active:

That's Matthew

• »30.05.17 - 21:58
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

No new ones. But...

He added this legal page right before the trademark thread that I referred to got extremely active:

That's Matthew

Doesn't sound particularly menacing.
    And the trademark fights are not really an issue for us, are they?

And when the time comes that I can order an X5000/40 motherboard, I can get that shipped fairly securely from Great Britain (I would want to do that to a desktop system though).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.05.17 - 17:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Simon schrieb:
    Considering Amigakit suddenly became a reseller for APollo accelerators I wouldn't be suprised that at some point A-eon is going to produce 68k compatible fpga hardware at some point in cooperation with them pushing OS4 ( and MorphOS ) to the background. 68k fpga is THE hype for the moment in Amigaland and does hurt both PPC nextgen amiga flavors imho. Like it or not, interest is shifting away from both OS4 and MorphOS these days. They are in the same boat for now.

So I kind of wonder where A-eon is going to be in let us say 5 years. Still producing hardware that only insane Amigans with either deep pockets buy ( or those that spend their last penny on it ) or go with the 68k flow or not bother anymore with OS4 or MorphOS.

+1
  • »01.06.17 - 10:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    @Jim

Who will port the software to the new X64 MorphOS platform, expecially if no sources are available and developers have left?

Finally people use a system because of software (or Apps how it is called today), not hardware or OS features or to move nice looking windows around. MorphOS is not flooded with 3rd party software today...
  • »01.06.17 - 10:53
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    At least I don't have a slightest interest to go back to 68k/OS3 system... raw power and some 3rd party development (is there that much afterall?) doesn't still make it a pleasant experience after you have used to MorphOS and all the nice things it has over the old AmigaOS. OS still matters (as well as other software) if you're going to actually use it, or even think to use it as your daily main system. It would need miracles on the OS front to get me interested again of new 68k systems.

I think the problem with the 68k FPGA buzz is that those users, and people hyping after it, are still using some other platform for their daily computing, they just make noise and jump around, but do they really use their systems after they have finally got it? For other than benchmarking, occasional tests/tuning, or classic gaming? I feel not. I think these projects are left as a curiosity for many of them, until they get another new gadget to fuss around. It's a shame it's dragging attention from the systems which have been really progressing somewhere (in comparison) and aren't just left for nostalgia and "because you can" systems.

If there would be complete 68k systems without bottlenecks and with all the modern features, and getting more powerful than PPC options, maybe MorphOS could be ported to such a system then :) But it really would need the new HW outperforming the current options...

[ Edited by jPV 01.06.2017 - 17:53 ]
  • »01.06.17 - 14:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

OlafSch schrieb:
    @Jim

Who will port the software to the new X64 MorphOS platform, expecially if no sources are available and developers have left?

A good share of MorphOS software is still maintained, the devs are still around. They will probably port their titles to MorphOS x64. Another good share is open source/ports which will find their way to x64, too. If MorphOS x64 will have a not too different API porting will be quick.
    And what's the alternative - sticking with the dead ISA?
    I guess most MorphOS users/devs will make the jump once MorphOS x64 is there. At least I am ready and willing to contribute.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.06.17 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    @Jim

Name these programs.

Quote:

Finally people use a system because of software (or Apps how it is called today), not hardware or OS features or to move nice looking windows around. MorphOS is not flooded with 3rd party software today...

Who are these "people" you speak of?

You can only speak for yourself, everything else is just conjecture.

Though I'd be willing to wager that the majority, if not all, the registered users of MorphOS use it because it's MorphOS and not because of any particular application. Same goes for OS4, same for Linux distros too probably.

A lot probably also use MorphOS because it runs on exotic hardware too.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »01.06.17 - 16:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes Nik,
    I think migration to an actively developed ISA is a good idea myself.
    Also, 68K will always have its limitations.

And even if they could push the performance higher than I think they might, they're never going to be able to create hardware that can compete with modern AMD gpus.

But these two approaches are not interchangeable anyway, and the only people suggesting they might be are the fpga fanatics.
  • »02.06.17 - 01:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they're never going to be able to create hardware that can compete with
    > modern AMD gpus.

Not that they would ever want to do that, but theoretically, they could provide a PCIe slot or an onboard AMD GPU. Of course, they would also have to provide a PCIe controller for that (in the FPGA or elsewhere).
  • »02.06.17 - 08:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > modern AMD gpus.

Not that they would ever want to do that, but theoretically, they could provide a PCIe slot or an onboard AMD GPU. Of course, they would also have to provide a PCIe controller for that (in the FPGA or elsewhere).

When stated like that is sounds simple.
    I used to sell 68K systems that had an ISA bus, and that isn't that hard to design, as older expansion bus slots like ISA (XT or AT) or Zorro are pretty much just an extension of the processor bus.
    When I looked at PCI, I realized how much more complicated that structure is.
    PCIe, being serial, is one step more difficult.

AND, we are talking about a team that hasn't managed to finish their fpu yet. ;-)

So, can Gunnar build a 68K to PCIe interface, AND then find someone to create the drivers from the OS' that need to use it (and the drivers for the new video cards that don't have existing 68K drivers).

Not impossible, but I won't hold my breath.

[ Edited by Jim 02.06.2017 - 11:55 ]
  • »02.06.17 - 15:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I'd make the jump to MorphOS X64 in a heartbeat. I'd buy as compact of a PC as I could for it and also a laptop.
  • »03.06.17 - 00:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I think the problem with the 68k FPGA buzz is that those users, and people hyping after it, are still using some other platform for their daily computing, they just make noise and jump around, but do they really use their systems after they have finally got it? For other than benchmarking, occasional tests/tuning, or classic gaming? I feel not. I think these projects are left as a curiosity for many of them, until they get another new gadget to fuss around. It's a shame it's dragging attention from the systems which have been really progressing somewhere (in comparison) and aren't just left for nostalgia and "because you can" systems.
    If there would be complete 68k systems without bottlenecks and with all the modern features, and getting more powerful than PPC options, maybe MorphOS could be ported to such a system then :) But it really would need the new HW outperforming the current options...

I dont see it as "Google Watch" or "Google Glasses" type of useless gadgets.
    First, currently it brings life and usability to Classics, and with standalone
    might offer kind of "new Classic better" (MIST and FPGA Arcade had only 00/020 cores).

But, Vampire is really going that way you are describing, its just not as fast as desired
    for a small team. But is also a showcase willing people can do much.

Surely it faces some obstacles when going back to last OS 3.x software,
    that is often in worse shape then some MOS and OS4 developments that went on over time. At same time,
    some real productivity software works out of box (everything chipset bond) and you finally get ... what was really Amigan dream - faster CPU, 16-bit sound and having improved native chipset, no real need for 3rd party solutions and keeping compatibility.

Surely, its laughable from G4+ perspective at the moment, by even on Aminet you can see more games coming
    and OS 3.x software slowly getting updated and AROS 68k progressing like no time before.
    "Weak knee" is Amiga state of affairs where no companies survived to exploit
    a new 68k world.

Vampire standalone will have all your wishes except MOS and faster then PPC (yes, per clock and mem transfers) but once they put it on a 1Ghz ASIC it can "kill" a G3, who knows maybe G4 and my PA Semi single-core.
    That is a long route that requires A1200 and standalone to sell well and finding investors
    to do a silicon chip and real boards. Mainly, all to that point is gaining experience
    and tweaking core.

Yes, those owners already have "other system" but none of NGs have gone to needed
    productivity software in terms of Office to really become "daily computer".

As Vampire flock grows, MorphOS 3.x 68k port would be interesting, I would buy that too
    as e.g. Turbo Print is included (which alone costs 80e), MUI is updated, love the Reggae etc.

Also backporting MOS drivers to 68k MOS would enable future Vampires to have some library of hardware.

If MOS 68k backport never happens (unlikely as OS4 backport) AROS will become its main OS very soon.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »04.06.17 - 10:15
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

A good share of MorphOS software is still maintained, the devs are still around. They will probably port their titles to MorphOS x64. Another good share is open source/ports which will find their way to x64, too. If MorphOS x64 will have a not too different API porting will be quick.
    And what's the alternative - sticking with the dead ISA?
    I guess most MorphOS users/devs will make the jump once MorphOS x64 is there. At least I am ready and willing to contribute.

Its likely there will be a new x64 board needed. While I understand voyage continues, as long as possible PPC updates will be good too. Buying new MOS 4.x licenses, new hardware and waiting for new software, for some time might be harder route then using what we have.

Once its really complete (software ports, drivers, SMP, whatever) I dont mind ditching PPC, but mind
    user perspective meanwhile.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »04.06.17 - 10:17
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > modern AMD gpus.

For Vampire, that is not goal. Goal is to improve SAGA to max.
    Standalone and beyond will have larger FPGAs so then we can see how they
    will solve PCI-E, other drivers etc. Currently that is not a goal,
    neither an issue.

Easiest route would be just to use old PCI bus and Warp3D 68k compatibile hardware
    as W3D is free. Problem is simple: for any further drivers then old
    Voodos and Virges you have to talk to AmigaKit/AEON/Hyperion entity.
    Also some 68k gems are also purchased by AAH too ...
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »04.06.17 - 10:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > faster then PPC (yes, per clock and mem transfers)

I'd say this depends on the particular PPC.

> Turbo Print is included (which alone costs 80e)

...but it's not the latest version and is missing components like GraphicsPublisher.
  • »05.06.17 - 10:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> they're never going to be able to create hardware that can compete with
    >>> modern AMD gpus.

>> Not that they would ever want to do that, but theoretically, they could [...]

> For Vampire, that is not goal. [...] Currently that is not a goal, neither an issue.

Yes, that's clearly what I wrote, isn't it? I was merely replying to Jim who said they couldn't ever do it even if it *was* their goal.
  • »05.06.17 - 10:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    After teen years of lies, teen years of cheating peoples, gunnar von boehn has something
    slower than ppc cards for amiga, slower than fast 68060 cards and even slower than some unreleased commodore prototypes.
    Half of price of new sam460 1 GHz and one get performance worse than 68060 80 MHz NO FPU AND MMMU?
    Buying vampire crap is stupid.
  • »11.06.17 - 04:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    After teen years of lies, teen years of cheating peoples, gunnar von boehn has something
    slower than ppc cards for amiga, slower than fast 68060 cards and even slower than some unreleased commodore prototypes.
    Half of price of new sam460 1 GHz and one get performance worse than 68060 80 MHz NO FPU AND MMMU?
    Buying vampire crap is stupid.

And you are soooo smart to only be promoting PPC and MorphOS hosted on top of Unix as the only sane choices???

Soon there will be more Vampire users than AmigaOS4, or MorphOS users, maybe soon even more than all PPC Amiga-Like users combined. But they are all stupid (and very happy) with their choice to use Vampire hardware.

You are lucky that everyone sees you as just a sad joke, and a person with no life, other than to bad mouth someone who is actually being productive and creating new code as well as hardware. Your accusations of cheating people and lies might be considered libelous and depending on the laws of the country you live in, you could probably be prosecuted, but since everyone knows what an idiot you are, why bother.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.06.17 - 19:10
    Kronos
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Soon there will be more Vampire users than ....

Soon we all gonna die, and noone will give a s##t.
  • »11.06.17 - 19:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Soon there will be more Vampire users than ....

Soon we all gonna die, and noone will give a s##t.

Well, hell if the world is being taken over by vampires? ;-)
  • »11.06.17 - 21:14