Compiling a new kernel - What the @#$%!
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Madgun68
    So I've made several attempts to compile and boot a new kernel.. All of them are failing.

I run make menuconfig and select what I want. Next is make dep followed by make bzImage (then make modules and make modules_install.)

Everything is fine except the actual booting part. I copy the chrp kernel (not the rs6000) to the boot partition, reboot and fire it up. It loads and gunzips the kernel and sits at the point where it should be switching to the frame buffer. (I've checked to make sure it is supporting the correct series of processor. Heck, I even used the config from 2.4.21 from PegXlin to set the options for the newer kernel.)

Do I need some chicken bones and a voodoo doll to make this work? Is there something else I need to do that doesn't need to be done with the i386?

To put it another way... HELP! :-)
  • »22.12.03 - 13:34
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Madgun68
    Quote:

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge regarding this - but I guess you could find help easier over at the PLC.
    The only thing I can think of is that the kernel needs modifications to get it working with the Pegasos. (Which, I think, is supported by that link you provided.)
  • »23.12.03 - 14:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    You need to apply the pegasos patch which can be downloaded here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/linux.pegasos/2.4.23/linux-2.4.23-pegasos-2003.12.01.diff.gz

My kernel config that I use with ppc-sources-dev-2.4.22 in Gentoo can be found here: http://dev.gentoo.org/~dholm/files/pegasos.kconfig
    (note that the Gentoo kernel contains many more features than a vanilla kernel or debians ppc kernel so some of the config options I use will have no effect on your kernel)

To build the kernel you should run "make zImage" and not bzImage as the Pegasos uses a CHRP zImage for booting.
  • »23.12.03 - 15:18
    Profile Visit Website