Files > 4GB
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    Hello,
    yesterday I recieved some movie files >4GB in size,
    when copying them to my local partition(SFS), created years ago transfer stopped at the limit of 4GB.

Is there a way to deal with files > 4GB with MorphOS?
    What needs to be done?
  • »20.02.17 - 09:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Is there a way to deal with files > 4GB with MorphOS?
    What needs to be done?

Use a different filesystem than SFS. For example ext2 should handle >4GB files (but the files stored on ext2 partition wouldn't retain all AmigaOS attributes), so you could use it for some "storage" partition.
  • »20.02.17 - 11:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the files stored on ext2 partition wouldn't retain all AmigaOS attributes

IceFS does.
  • »20.02.17 - 11:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Although IceFS can handle large files and Amiga attributes I would prevent IceFS. It slows down the more files you copy to the drive and it has some serious bugs when you copy, move, delete files. I often got bugs where requesters popped up that the drive geometry was corrupted and needed some repair. The longer you use it the higher chances are that you run into trouble with that filesystem. Other people reported the same problems here on morphzone. You can search for that if you want. Sadly it seems that IceFS is not updated anymore for years although it contains these bugs. So you better use extfs or NTFS (there is a write driver which works better than IceFS) but both won’t give you Amiga file attributes.
  • »20.02.17 - 16:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    will see if Ice works,
    is there a chance to use ext* for storing large mediafiles?
  • »21.02.17 - 07:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is there a chance to use ext* for storing large mediafiles?

Yes, as proposed by koszer and connor.
  • »21.02.17 - 08:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    exfat with write enable
  • »21.02.17 - 10:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Cannot confirm Connor experiences in all cases! I use ICEFS since years without troubles - but I use it only for my video/data-partitions and do not copy thousands of small files. What I do from time to time: I check it with ICEFS-Doctor for hidden errors. In all the time I'm useing ISEFS I found only one error, which was repaired in a minute.
    Another thing is useing it as filesystem on System-partition - there you might get in troubles (as Connor wrote and this is ,at least after many tests, my experience too) - but this isn't necessary - we have the very stable SFS therefore.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 21.02.2017 - 10:27 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »21.02.17 - 10:26
    connor
    I never used ICEFS on the system partition because AFAIK MOS cannot boot that filesystem. I always used ICEFS for normal file storage. All kind of files: installed programs, music, text, pictures, mail postboxes, system backup etc. Maybe if you only use it for large files it works better. I never tried that because it should behave the same for all kind of files. And if you need to run the ICEFS doctor tool that often because the filesystem can make trouble then the filesystem is not really promising to give him my data.
  • »21.02.17 - 11:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I repeat: I had no troubles useing ICEFS since years on my video-partition(s). I used ICEFS-Doctor only for safety - influenced by some inputs (like yours) in some forums - and please listen to what I wrote: ICEFS-Doctor doesn't found errors.....(only in one case, but that is as often as SFS has errors....).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »21.02.17 - 15:44
    connor
    You are lucky that it did not report errors to you. I just want to avoid that other people run into the same trap as I did on MOS or others did on OS4 where JXFS is no more worked on and has been canceled. In the end I returned to SFS and have to stick with all its limitations. ICEFS was a dream but it pulverized. Yes, SFS also has at least one bug with disk layout. This often comes up when a program crashed and the machine has to be resetted. Just from my experience SFS is still much more stable than ICEFS. This is why I stick with it.
  • »21.02.17 - 17:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I just wrote my experience! It's on eyeryone to make his own experience......
  • »21.02.17 - 17:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    One issue I had with EXT filesystems, eventually there was some (minor) error, which resulted in the partition being mounted as read-only (good way to restrict potential damage), until it has been checked with fsck for ext.
    The problem is... afaik, there's no port for MorphOS.

Sure, you could boot to linux and do the check from there, as long as the partition is accessible in the first place! (not sure if kryptos encrypted partitions, like I had, are)

I just gave up, and used a different filesystem.

Oh, also have had some issues with IceFS, like others described here.

[ Edited by Jupp3 21.02.2017 - 20:14 ]
  • »21.02.17 - 19:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/e2fsck-1.39 works fine for me and saved my ext2 volume countless times...
  • »21.02.17 - 19:39
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    My IceFS partition is broken and IceDoctor couldn't fix it :-(
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »09.06.17 - 15:34
    connor
    Sorry for you. I had this a lot with my IceFS tests which is why I wrote that everyone should be aware fo this filesystem. If it worked stable it would be a dream because in the beginning it is really fast and appears stable. I would like to use it as standard filesystem. But so far I cannot recommend it. I hope you can copy your files to another disc which is not IceFS formatted. It would be great if someone could fix the bugs in IceFS and IceDoctor but the author seems to be not working on it anymore for years now. I would not count on any update. Better go baxck to SFS and be on the safe side.
  • »09.06.17 - 17:12
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I have some extra space on my drive and considering this situation, I'm not sure how to format it either.
    IceFS does not sound like a good option.
    Files greater than 4GB are certainly a possibility.
    But the majority I'd consider storing are video and Amiga attributes are not an issue.

I'm curious, what files this large would have Amiga attributes?

[ Edited by Jim 09.06.2017 - 12:59 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.17 - 17:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Only ICEFS has Amiga attributes >4GB. As I wrote, I use it for my videopartition since years....
  • »09.06.17 - 18:12