Expose bounty proposal
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I've been thinking about this for a couple of years now, but after a recent discussion on ppa.pl, I'd finally like to propose a bounty for Expose-alike functionality on MorphOS.

What would be included:
    - A view in which all windows would be presented on a screen, zoomed out so that one could easily distinguish between them
    - A view that'd only present windows of the currently active application
    - The window previews would update live
    - Lucy-alike functionality built into system

Requirements/Limitations:
    - Would require at least a Radeon R200 (some functionality might need an R300)
    - Would only work on Enhanced Display, hi-color screens (no CLUT support)
    - Would only work on cards with accelerated 2D and 3D support
    - The Lucy-alike functionality would have the same requirements as Lucy

ETA:
    The project requires changes in layers.library, intuition.library as well as a standalone application to do the actual Expose-magic. That's quite a bit of work. I'd first need to do the layers/intuition changes, so that the app could be released later independent of an OS update.

I'm offering to do this work if you guys raise 1k eur.

Comments?
  • »02.01.17 - 00:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    For me, personally, on my Powerbook, Mac Mini and PowerMac G5 hardware I have Mac OSX boot as either as a dual-boot system with MorphOS or on its own, so I use the Mac OS sometimes, but I cannot remember using the Exposé feature at all.

For MorphOS I either use the top right corner screen/screenbar right-click option of changing from one screen to another - which is simple, or I use the LCmd + X (I changed it from LCmd + M via Prefs - as the X is right next to the LCmd key), and so it's just a quick press of each key simultaneously, in fact I can do it with just 1 finger - by flexing/bending the joint of usually my index finger, and I can go from one screen to the next, to the next, etc. in very rapid succession, or I could use SCube if I wanted to show that gimmick to anyone, but I prefer the simplicity, and super quick screen changing via LCmd+X to do that.

I don't use the Lucy commodity at all either, as I don't find it useful for me.

If everyone else was in favour of supporting Exposé features then if it worked out at about 10 Euros each registered user, then I'd be prepared to pay that amount to add it to the functionality, but do we really need it?

I'd much prefer to get JavaScript leaks fixed in OWB rather than anything else for now, unless that has already been done for v3.10?

After JavaScript being fixed in OWB, I'd next like to see Libre Office running on our OS, rather than some other Exposé 'gimmick'.

Hey, that's just my opinion, others may find your offer to be money well spent, but for me I don't really need that functionality/gimmick - especially when the overheads are as demanding as you've outlined on the hardware. Just my 2 cents / Euros. ;-)

[ Edited by NewSense 02.01.2017 - 00:42 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.01.17 - 01:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well, I can chip in cmd+tab window navigation into the package ;)

As for Office or JavaScript - this is not something I would look into myself.
  • »02.01.17 - 02:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Is the Cmd+Tab window navigation a feature you would be adding in with the Exposé package features? Rather than something that can be 'tweaked' now in the current system?

As I'm not sure I (me personally) need a 'Cmd+Tab' feature, as the swap screen feature (Cmd+x/m) works really well for me, and I don't think I need another key option that I would have to get used to that basically does the same as the system already allows.

I appreciate you are offering something new for MorphOS, but for me, at this stage, I don't see the major advantage for all the work, and cost that would be involved - but I am certainly not everyone, and maybe others will decide differently. 8-D

I certainly appreciate the offer to do something to add features to MorphOS, but I'll watch to see what others say about your kind offer.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.01.17 - 04:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I'm in. We have 1175 Polish Slutties left from Flac bounty so I think we can move them to this bounty.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »02.01.17 - 08:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'd rather see a good email client first, and would rather donate to that :)

For me personally Expose-like thing would only be eyecandy and would be more inefficient way to do the work, but I can see that many people would appreciate it today and have used to that kind of things on other platforms. So, maybe it would be a good thing to attract new people etc, but hardcore Amiga/MorphOS users know how to do their stuff more efficiently by other means :P
  • »02.01.17 - 08:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

hardcore Amiga/MorphOS users know how to do their stuff more efficiently by other means :P

I don't know if there's a "more efficient hardcode way" to do the things Expose does.
  • »02.01.17 - 09:33
  • Just looking around
    arti040
    Wow! As an everyday Mac/Linux user I'd love to have not only expose but also hot-corners and multiple desktops in MOS. This would be a great improvement and a huge step in MorphOS overall UX.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.png
  • »02.01.17 - 10:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    I'd love a feature like this aswell, exposé on OS X is one of my favourite features of OS X and I use it all the time. How hard would it be to implement a feature like this in ambient?
  • »02.01.17 - 12:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

fx wrote:
    I'd love a feature like this aswell, exposé on OS X is one of my favourite features of OS X and I use it all the time. How hard would it be to implement a feature like this in ambient?

1000 euros hard :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »02.01.17 - 12:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    As I'm not sure I (me personally) need a 'Cmd+Tab' feature, as the swap screen feature (Cmd+x/m) works really well for me, and I don't think I need another key option that I would have to get used to that basically does the same as the system already allows.

If think you're a bit confused here. This feature isn't for screens, it's to arrange windows on the same screen. This is aimed at people that do not use multiple screens, but stick to one and have a ton of windows on it.
  • »02.01.17 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'd rather see a good email client first, and would rather donate to that :)

I've been working on the tech for an email client for the past 2 years already. A client is on my regular TODO list, with an ETA sometime this year. But if you feel like donating to an email client, I'm certainly not going to argue :)
  • »02.01.17 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'd love to have [...] hot-corners

http://tcheko.binaryriot.org

> and multiple desktops in MOS.

"Desktops" as in "screens"?
  • »02.01.17 - 13:25
  • Just looking around
    arti040
    Go to Youtube and text "expose osx" or "expose linux". This feature on modern OSes has at least 12 years. I can't believe some of you have never seen that before #wow

[ Edited by arti040 02.01.2017 - 12:41 ]
  • »02.01.17 - 13:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

arti040 wrote:
    [...]I can't believe some of you have never seen that before #wow

Never seen an OS X computer on my entire life. :)

Anyway, being used to multiple screens since Amiga ages, this Exposé feature looks quite useless to me.
    That said, I can understand the benefit for guys which are not taking advantage of the Intuition screens facilities.

[ Edited by Jeckel 02.01.2017 - 13:55 ]
  • »02.01.17 - 13:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I guess I am faster with alt-tab on Windows than with Expose on OS X to navigate to the window I want. Not sure if a working Alt-tab solution would be the more useful solution. But something like Expose would bring additional nice eyecandy which is always good to attract/impress new users. If something like alt-tab will be included, great.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.01.17 - 14:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

hardcore Amiga/MorphOS users know how to do their stuff more efficiently by other means :P

I don't know if there's a "more efficient hardcode way" to do the things Expose does.

First.. I think you're using a computer in wrong/inefficient way in the first place, if you end up in the messy situation where you should need expose's features :) With good arrangement/balance of windows and screens, and with keys with immediate switching of them, it's much faster to use a system than using your time to look clickable windows from a big view showing them all...
  • »02.01.17 - 14:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    I just watched a video on youtube describing Exposé, and the window "sorting" when moving the mouse to a corner or by a hotkey, could be quite handy sometimes!
    And if its well done, which I think jaca is able to;), this could be a nice feature!

The problem I have with the "right-click-over-windows-depth-gadget" is that the images are quite small and the window titles escpecially for Ambient lister windows are sometimes not very "meaningful".

I don't really need it, but I think the needed requirements for this feature in intuition.library and layers.library could be usefull for other programs.

So I will put in 10€ for this bounty.
  • »02.01.17 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    i would like to see this feature on MorphOS
    I'm in!
  • »02.01.17 - 21:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If it works out at 10€ for each registered user then I've no problem offering (and contributing) that amount, now there's a bounty setup to accept it, but for me I doubt if I'll really use it.

However, if it will increase visibility/looks of the platform for any new users and ease of use adapting for any new user, specifically ones that have never used an Amiga OS system before, then it may be beneficial for them to see the benefits of MorphOS visually, as it might be like an OS they are migrating or at least combining with their everyday system, and if they seriously consider MorphOS they may become longterm, serious followers of MorphOS, Amiga systems. 8-D
  • »03.01.17 - 01:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    donated 20 Euros :)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »03.01.17 - 06:07