Opus 5
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    Hi,

I downloaded Directory Opus from from the sourceforge page to run it inside uae and now I ask myself: how can I start Directory Opus without WBReplacement mode.
    I try to combine Scalos with DirectoryOpus but since Directory Opus creates its own fake workbench, scalos is gone until I quit DirectoryOpus.

So how do I prevent DirectoryOpus from going Workbench replacement?

When you browse the internet it look like people only want directory opus as WB replacement, but it simply isn't there yet. MorphOs has a better WB replacement.

Unchecking Backdrop in the menu makes the new "Workbench replacement" run in a window that I can minimize, but I still want that window gone. All options related to WB emulation have been turned off. The display section is on Use WB. Clone WB doesn't solve my issue.

Thanks
    Roel

[ Edited by Roland 10.09.2014 - 13:34 ]
  • »10.09.14 - 13:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how can I start Directory Opus without WBReplacement mode. [...]
    > how do I prevent DirectoryOpus from going Workbench replacement?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55140

This thread describes the opposite objective but you should be able to determine from it what to do in order to switch behaviour.
  • »10.09.14 - 16:00
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Roland wrote:
    Hi,

I downloaded Directory Opus from from the sourceforge page to run it inside uae and now I ask myself: how can I start Directory Opus without WBReplacement mode.
    I try to combine Scalos with DirectoryOpus but since Directory Opus creates its own fake workbench, scalos is gone until I quit DirectoryOpus.

So how do I prevent DirectoryOpus from going Workbench replacement?

Unchecking Backdrop in the menu makes the new "Workbench replacement" run in a window that I can minimize, but I still want that window gone. All options related to WB emulation have been turned off. The display section is on Use WB. Clone WB doesn't solve my issue.

I think you're mixing terms here. WB replacement means that it completely loads instead of the WB.. so that loadwb is replaced with loaddb. I think you're just talking about its main window here, which contains device icons etc, but when dopus has started after WB has been loaded. It indeed is thought to be used more like wbreplacement or on its own screen together with wb.

If you run DOpus directly under MorphOS then there are two tools (D2A and Magellambient) which allow automatic hiding of the dopus main window, but leave other dopus stuff visible. That's a good way to run dopus and Ambient together on same screen. I guess there could be some way to hide the main window on AmigaOS too, but I have never tried to find such...

Quote:

When you browse the internet it look like people only want directory opus as WB replacement, but it simply isn't there yet. MorphOs has a better WB replacement.

Oh yes it is there absolutely :) At least if you compare it to WB or Scalos. Ambient is a different beast. You just have to get dopus configured for your taste and find the features it offers (manuals help here). I wouldn't use Magellan as anything else than wbreplacement on classic Amiga setups, so much it offers.
  • »10.09.14 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    Thanks for the replies. Since I am running this inside UAE, I suppose that means I will have to live with that.
  • »11.09.14 - 20:13
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Roland wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Since I am running this inside UAE, I suppose that means I will have to live with that.

I suppose you use HDF file (hard disk emulation) and that everything is saved. There is no difference to actual old Amiga, with except it is emulated.

No, refer back to http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55140
    and read it.

Best to my understanding you should:

Check S - startup sequence if it has LoadDB usually at the very end.
    edit it (replace) to old school loadwb command and that should be it.
    Other way around if you for any kinky reason need the workbench replacement.

I share the flavor - I prefer power of Dopus 5 as file manager. Surely, back in the old Workbench OS 3 days it was powerful replacement (offering ScalOS too), but nowadays with cute MorphOS or OS4, its unnecessary.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »14.10.14 - 21:09
    Cool_amigaN
    @jpv

I am using your guide as reference for installing DOpus 5 on MorphOS, however, I am stuck at the very beginning of it.
    How exactly I should use the magellambient.lha file? It comes without any readme :P
    I should copy the CxCommand to SYS:C or to Dopus5/C? What about the files inside the dopus drawer of Magellambient, where they should be copied to (lister and trapevent tools)?
    Finally I should use the MagellanUnderAmbient icon in my MorphOS wbstartup drawer or the newer which comes with DOpus 5 nightly builds?
    Regarding the screenscrabs of your Ambeint in the guide, how do you create the down panel? Sorry for lots of questions :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »15.02.15 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    How exactly I should use the magellambient.lha file? It comes without any readme :P

Hmm... I've been using D2A myself last years, but I first had that magellambient too.. I'll try to remember :)

Quote:

I should copy the CxCommand to SYS:C or to Dopus5/C? What about the files inside the dopus drawer of Magellambient, where they should be copied to (lister and trapevent tools)?

CxCommand goes to SYS:C. Stuff inside dopus drawer to Dopus's dir ( dopus5: ).

Quote:

Finally I should use the MagellanUnderAmbient icon in my MorphOS wbstartup drawer or the newer which comes with DOpus 5 nightly builds?

MagellanUnderAmbient, that new thing is something else. I haven't taken those nightly builds in daily use yet.. original 5.82 feels still more solid.

Anyway, these magellambient and d2a do basically work like this: you have them in wbstartup and they start the dopus itself, they hide its main window and do the tricks that dopus listers can be opened by clicking the Ambient desktop.

D2A might be a bit cleaner solution and it does have docs :) I originally went for it, because it can be configured to open dopus listers with single middle click, which I found more handy. It also doesn't require dopus main window to be in backdrop mode, so it can be small and unnoticeable -> doesn't flash full screen before it gets hidden.

Quote:

Regarding the screenscrabs of your Ambeint in the guide, how do you create the down panel? Sorry for lots of questions :)

It was combination of several programs: Statline, ClockToy, DOpus StartMenus, Ambient panel, and CPU Monitor.
  • »16.02.15 - 16:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Thanks for your prompt answers man :)

Did everything you described up above but I keep getting a wbrun assign requester for DOpus each time I boot (though I assign it). What could have been wrong?
    Btw, once I assign it, it opens Dopus on a custom screen (you know with 32 png icon support etc).
    Also, with Magellambient you cannot open standard Ambient listers whenever you want, similar to D2A behavior? Last but not least, I do find myself latest DOpus nightly build a bit unstable (keeps freezing in random times)... Should I revert to the 5.82 68 version?

Regarding D2A, I read from the readme that I should have arexx up and running. Do I need to copy anything from my OS3.9 CD on MorphOS to achieve that?

Btw, don't know if I ;ve told you that before, but your guides (along with Yasu's blog) are the most valuable pieces of information for achieving ordinary tasks and modifying MorphOS :)
  • »16.02.15 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:

Did everything you described up above but I keep getting a wbrun assign requester for DOpus each time I boot (though I assign it). What could have been wrong?

Do you have dopus5: assign in your s:user-startup (and pointing to correct dir)? I don't remember for sure, but it might have been that those new dopus builds didn't require assign before launching it...

Quote:

Btw, once I assign it, it opens Dopus on a custom screen (you know with 32 png icon support etc).

Oh yeah... you have to configure dopus to use WB screen instead of its own screen (Settings -> Environment -> Display -> Workbench:Use), otherwise you can't get the dopus stuff over Ambient, which is the point with these.

Quote:

Also, with Magellambient you cannot open standard Ambient listers whenever you want, similar to D2A behavior?

Wasn't Magellambient using double middle click to open dopus listers? Then you still can open Ambient listers with double left click on desktop. With D2A you can either use double left click or single middle click to open dopus listers... I'm using it so that I can still double left click Ambient listers up and single middle click to open dopus listers.. so I can easily open whichever lister I want depending the situation.

Quote:

Last but not least, I do find myself latest DOpus nightly build a bit unstable (keeps freezing in random times)... Should I revert to the 5.82 68 version?

I think it could be the easiest to set everything up with the original 5.82, and after you have it running correctly, then you may test with newer builds if you need the newer features and if it will be stable and fast enough for your use.

I admit that I haven't had time/motivation to try those latest builds recently, but last time I tested them it felt that there's still a long road ahead to make them stable, and I'd be surprised if they'd be there yet. As a personal opinion if original features are enough, why to rush to use newer ones? Original is stable as rock and feels even quicker than those new GCC versions. I still have much better trust to original version... and I use dopus listers in name mode only, so it doesn't matter that much if it doesn't show PNG icons etc. But if those new versions are confirmed to be mature enough some day, no problem to change to it either :)

Quote:

Regarding D2A, I read from the readme that I should have arexx up and running. Do I need to copy anything from my OS3.9 CD on MorphOS to achieve that?

To get ARexx working fully you need to install 68k version of rexxsyslib.library. You can do it with Grunch or manually.

MorphOS comes with "dummy" version of it and that dummy one should be renamed away from the use (rename MOSSYS:Libs/rexxsyslib.library to MOSSYS:Libs/rexxsyslib.library_disabled) and then you can copy 68k version (from your OS3.9 CD for example) to SYS:Libs/

Quote:

Btw, don't know if I ;ve told you that before, but your guides (along with Yasu's blog) are the most valuable pieces of information for achieving ordinary tasks and modifying MorphOS :)

Thanks :) I love MorphOS and I want to do my share to help others to love it too ;)
  • »17.02.15 - 11:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @jpv

Ok I assigned it, rebooted and I had a complete freeze on half way once Dopus was loading. Manual reboot did the trick, however Dopus takes complete control of my Ambient after each boot if I have MagellanUnderAmbient enabled on WBstartUp (resulting to the usual gray background without 32bit icon support etc). If I disable it and manually click it each time after boot it works ok. Perhaps there is some sort of incompatibility with Magellambient and latest dopus?

Still, as a general remark, latest nightly build is far from usable and freezes even when navigating to Enviroment options :(

Do you happen to have a stock 5.82 version available to share? Because I can't seem to locate a ready to unpack lha file of it..

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 17.02.2015 - 21:59 ]
  • »17.02.15 - 18:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    @jpv

Ok I assigned it, rebooted and I had a complete freeze on half way once Dopus was loading. Manual reboot did the trick, however Dopus takes complete control of my Ambient after each boot if I have MagellanUnderAmbient enabled on WBstartUp (resulting to the usual gray background without 32bit icon support etc). If I disable it and manually click it each time after boot it works ok. Perhaps there is some sort of incompatibility with Magellambient and latest dopus?

Yeah, it sounds like MagellanUnderAmbient doesn't succeed to hide the DOpus main window. It should hide it and leave Ambient visible as a last step. I now begin to remember, that those new open source versions have different task name for main dopus executable and I had to configure task name with D2A (you can do it from its tooltypes), but maybe it's the problem with MagellanUnderAmbient too... and maybe it's hardcoded into it and you can't configure it. At least with a quick look I don't see anything to configure for that...

I guess I could try if I can achieve it, but on some other day...

Quote:

Do you happen to have a stock 5.82 version available to share? Because I can't seem to locate a ready to unpack lha file of it..

My version is too messed up to be shared.. installed in 1998 or so on A1200, first install with cracked version, then updated with legal bought version over it, tuned over the years, and finally copied to MorphOS :)

Hmmm... was there some ready to unpack archive somewhere after the open sourcing? I can't remember for sure... but feels like there might have been. Would need more googling... quickly I can't find anything than original disk images. Or did AmiKit have their version of dopus downloadable somewhere before open sourcing? They had some kind of deal and there were at least some contributions downloadable separately.

[ Edited by jPV 18.02.2015 - 18:15 ]
  • »18.02.15 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do you happen to have a stock 5.82 version available to share?
    > Because I can't seem to locate a ready to unpack lha file of it..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dopus5allamigas/files/Dopus5.82/release/
  • »22.02.15 - 22:13
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Do you happen to have a stock 5.82 version available to share?
    > Because I can't seem to locate a ready to unpack lha file of it..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dopus5allamigas/files/Dopus5.82/release/

Those all are installation floppy disk images/contents and I understood he wants one lha pack which can be unpacked and used without further installation.

But maybe I should do a little tutorial how to install it from the scratch on MorphOS...
  • »23.02.15 - 07:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:

I knew it was somewhere... you could try this, although I didn't check how it is configured, but at least it's one archive of original MagII installation and probably only needs assign. But I might try it on next days too and see if it needs anything...
  • »25.02.15 - 16:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @jPV & @Andreas_Wolf

It took me a while to figure out how I am supposed to install DOpus from the dms on the sourceforge but finally I used xdms, mount the extracted adfs via FileImageCtrl and used the new Installer from Aminet to launch the scripts. The Installer of MagellanII worked ok but the 5.81-82 lha updates could not locate my Dopus drawer. Manually copying the files after extraction did the trick. Perhaps a reboot between the installation process was required, I dunno. Still, a 5 lines installation readme would be helpful :P

Anyway, I downloaded also kas1e file and it seems to be what I was originally looking for. So now I have them both. 68k DOpus uses the old black and white icons and suffers from the shitty icon (I know jPV's mentions how to get rid of it though) from what I could see after a first glance. Does it worth to mess around with DOpus plus CD? Does it have themes and newer icons (so as to look at least partially coherent with Ambient)? Also, which add - ons would you recommend? Is it possible to have add-on incompatibility?

Btw, Magellambient doesn't work when put inside WBStartUp (it loads DOpus on its own screen etc). If clicked manually it works ok after Ambient loads it's ok. I will further investigate it though.
  • »26.02.15 - 18:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    @jPV & @Andreas_Wolf

It took me a while to figure out how I am supposed to install DOpus from the dms on the sourceforge but finally I used xdms, mount the extracted adfs via FileImageCtrl and used the new Installer from Aminet to launch the scripts. The Installer of MagellanII worked ok but the 5.81-82 lha updates could not locate my Dopus drawer. Manually copying the files after extraction did the trick. Perhaps a reboot between the installation process was required, I dunno. Still, a 5 lines installation readme would be helpful :P

Well, the updates need DOpus5: assign and if you didn't have even that... reboot would have set it at least :)

Do you mean you copied those 5.81 and 5.82 files from kas1e's archive or where? Because those actual updates can't be copied directly... unless you manually patched each file (which isn't just copying).

Quote:

Anyway, I downloaded also kas1e file and it seems to be what I was originally looking for. So now I have them both. 68k DOpus uses the old black and white icons and suffers from the shitty icon (I know jPV's mentions how to get rid of it though) from what I could see after a first glance. Does it worth to mess around with DOpus plus CD? Does it have themes and newer icons (so as to look at least partially coherent with Ambient)? Also, which add - ons would you recommend? Is it possible to have add-on incompatibility?

I don't think plus CD had that much more modern looking stuff. I actually haven't used much stuff from it. Try to look Aminet for newer icons etc.

I'm using OpusGIbar icons for toolbars (GlowIcon style).

And for Startmenus I ripped & scaled down standard MorphOS icons and tidyed them pixel by pixel in PPaint :)

If you mean by "shitty icon" that iconify gadget, my guide seems to have dead link for the patch for it, but the same patch can be found inside the D2A archive too.

Quote:

Btw, Magellambient doesn't work when put inside WBStartUp (it loads DOpus on its own screen etc). If clicked manually it works ok after Ambient loads it's ok. I will further investigate it though.

When Magellambient has opened it on its own screen, look at the "Backdrop" setting from the main Opus menu. Disable it if it was enabled and select Settings -> Save Layout. Then open Settings -> Environment -> Display and select "Workbench: Use" and click Save. Maybe it would work after that.
  • »27.02.15 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Oh about those addons... original ArcDir probably hits still, so it's better to replace it with XADopus as I said on my guide too. Other modules which I remember I have in use... CycleMode to use keyboard to cycle between view modes, RootParent to go to device list when going enough up in directory structure, Cut'n'Paste to get standard copy/cut/paste functions for files... well, at least those.

Basically all stuff should work, but of course they might have bugs. You should check MorphOS's debug log when trying new stuff, those bugs are easier to spot on MorphOS than it was on Amiga :) And of course stuff that uses Amiga chipsets directly don't work in this case either (like some audio player add-ons etc).

[ Edited by jPV 27.02.2015 - 15:34 ]
  • »27.02.15 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Oh about those addons... original ArcDir probably hits still, so it's better to replace it with XADopus as I said on my guide too. Other modules which I remember I have in use... CycleMode to use keyboard to cycle between view modes, RootParent to go to device list when going enough up in directory structure, Cut'n'Paste to get standard copy/cut/paste functions for files... well, at least those.

Basically all stuff should work, but of course they might have bugs. You should check MorphOS's debug log when trying new stuff, those bugs are easier to spot on MorphOS than it was on Amiga :) And of course stuff that uses Amiga chipsets directly don't work in this case either (like some audio player add-ons etc).

Is there anyone willing to step out to help Dopus 5.9x and onward development?

Message from Kas1e http://amigaworld.net/userinfo.php?uid=2213 that maintains it

Quote:

Currently there is no MOS developers willing to fix few morphos-only bugs in dopus5. Generaly everything compiles for morphos already, only few little bits needs fixing , whih happens on morphos only. But , no developers willing to step in with that. For os4 version we with xenic worry about, for aros version it was BSzili, for 68k version xenic do some fixes from time to time as well.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »15.03.15 - 16:57
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Currently there is no MOS developers willing to fix few morphos-only bugs in dopus5. Generaly everything compiles for morphos already, only few little bits needs fixing , whih happens on morphos only. But , no developers willing to step in with that. For os4 version we with xenic worry about, for aros version it was BSzili, for 68k version xenic do some fixes from time to time as well.

If anyone is interested Dopus 5.91 MorphOS debug version can be downloaded here
    http://dopus5.org/downloads/nightly/Dopus5_91_dev_mos_debug.lha
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »16.03.15 - 14:47
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    OK, I did it, better late than never I guess :)

Here is a tutorial how to install and tune the original 68k version of Directory Opus Magellan 2 on the MorphOS machine:
    http://library.morph.zone/How_to_Install_Directory_Opus_Magellan_II

We'll see if I add a section for the new open source version some day...
  • »21.03.15 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    OK, I did it, better late than never I guess :)

Here is a tutorial how to install and tune the original 68k version of Directory Opus Magellan 2 on the MorphOS machine:
    http://library.morph.zone/How_to_Install_Directory_Opus_Magellan_II

We'll see if I add a section for the new open source version some day...

Thanks!

But since further development means bugfixes and some new features,
    can anyone test
    http://dopus5.org/downloads/nightly/Dopus5_91_dev_os3_debug.lha
    if no one is willing to commit to fixing Dopus 5.91 for MorphOS
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »21.03.15 - 21:32
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'm drowning to all kinds of testing myself currently, not to talk about other projects in the pipeline, so I just haven't got the time to go into proper testing of new Opus versions... after the initial reports I made quite a while ago. I hope to start doing it better in the future, but I really don't know when. Currently I need to have the full trust to the version I'm using, so I've been sticking with the original version which I know throughout.

But yeah, it would be really great if any other would test and report any bugs they find to them. It would be good to have at least that new 68k version more stable/compatible at first.
  • »22.03.15 - 07:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Thank you very much for this guide!
    I will install it during this week. In the meantime, if you can please check the add-on freeware cd for dopus, how to install, which are compatible etc that would be awesome :)
  • »22.03.15 - 08:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    But yeah, it would be really great if any other would test and report any bugs they find to them. It would be good to have at least that new 68k version more stable/compatible at first.

Thanks anyway, I must say I have been able to use newer Dopus on OS 4.1 (which is a bit more tested and bugfixed) and ... as they say in porns "once you go black, you never go back" :-)

Several new features has been added, a LOT of old bugs has been fixed, and it is a great result of bounty - maybe one of the best I have seen so far. Its neat, working and beautiful continuation of best file manager ever. Surely, there are some new bugs added, as always.

I don`t use it as WB/Ambient replacement, but as pure file manager, but what I loved with Magellan was even more file windows and even better configurability then in past pre-Magellan versions.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »23.03.15 - 13:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    kas1e
    We release new stable verions (5.91) of dopus5 for os3/os4/aros(arm and i386) , but we still looking for capable morphos coder who want to spend 1-2 days of his life to fix 2-3 morphos-only bugs which are important and while they stay, we can't release morphos version together with all others. Anyone ?

Btw, jPV is right, that one: http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/misc/dopus5/opus_installed_original_582.lha , are pure 5.80 with applied patches till 5.82, without any changes. So for morphos it probably the best to get that one without needs to worry with 5.80 and manually adding patches. It also uploaded on dopus5.org with some simple readme (check at bottom of dopus5.org page)

[ Edited by kas1e 31.08.2015 - 09:41 ]
  • »31.08.15 - 09:34