Sputnik Bounty canceled
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    rebraist
    Odyssey is absolutely the best amiga browser ever been made on this earth!!!
    btw i mainly chose morphos for odyssey...
    someone used to call these "killer apps"

[ Edited by rebraist 30.01.2012 - 21:22 ]
    Mac Mini g4 1,5 mos 3.1 registered
    Powerbook g4 1,67 mos 3.1 unregistered
    Sam440 Os4.1.6
    Aros-Aros-Aros.
  • »30.01.12 - 21:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    +1 Fab
  • »30.01.12 - 23:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    thefab
    any news on this subject ?
  • »22.02.12 - 11:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Does not look like anyone connected to the bounty system has responded. It would be nice if they would and if they could describe what options are available and how, or if it is possible to have that money transferred to a bounty for Fab's work on Odyssey and OWB-MUI.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.02.12 - 22:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

IIRC a mail was sent out to the donors when the bounty was cancelled, asking what you would like to do with the money. A refund, another bounty, etc.

The mail was from 2010-05-23, this is how it looked like:

"Hi,

you receive this message because you contributed financially to the Sputnik Web Browser bounty effort.

After two years of what appears to be halted development, it is unlikely that the project will ever be finished. The author has confirmed that he has no plans to continue working on the existing Sputnik versions but may or may not release something based on a more recent Google Chrome engine in the future. As a result, the members of the Bounty Team at MorphZone.org and Pegasosforum.de have decided to close the current bounty project.

Since you donated to this bounty, we kindly request that you inform us what should happen to any funds you contributed.

We will gladly move money to any other MorphOS bounty projects. You can find an up-to-date list by visiting the following address:

http://bounties.morph.zone/

Alternatively, Sputnik donors also have an opportunity to move funds to Power2People. You can find a list of their currently open bounties, which are mostly targetted at AROS but might also benefit MorphOS because of their open source nature (see Wi-Fi bounty, for example), and information on how to open new ones at the following internet address:

http://www.power2people.org

Of course, we also offer refunds. Please note that there are fees associated with this that will have to be subtracted from the donated sum.

We would greatly appeciate if you could get back to us by July 1, 2010. If you do not, your donation will be moved to our General Fund and possibly reassigned to other bounties at some point in the future.

Thank you vey much for your past contributions and support.

Bounty Team / MorphZone.org / Pegasosforum.de"

I moved my money to the bounty aimed for creating a community owned open source desktop motherboard based on the 8610, designed by b-plan, but when that didn't happen either (IIRC all it would have taken was an amount corresponding to some twenty X1000's, but unfortunately "Amigan's" made their choice differently), then I simply traded it in for some Efika MX hardware.

I suppose donors could turn to André Siegel (like I did) or Sven Scheele (the sender of the above mail) with information about what should happen to their donated money...?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.02.12 - 12:40
    Simon
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

We would greatly appeciate if you could get back to us by July 1, 2010. If you do not, your donation will be moved to our General Fund and possibly reassigned to other bounties at some point in the future.

Isn't this happened by now then ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »23.02.12 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    I think the most transparent approach is to open up a new bounty project for Odyssey which will also allow new donations to be collected. Please note that a part of the Sputnik donations appear to have been paid out already as an advance. We are waiting for final confirmation from marcik.
  • »23.02.12 - 15:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Sort of a short time period to receive that email, make a decision, and send a reply back to the bounty administrators. I don't remember receiving that email, but then with my memory, I can't be 100% certain that I made a donation to that bounty, so I can't complain.

I agree with Andre that a new bounty should probably be set up and if there are any donations left over from the Sputnik bounty that have not already been reassigned, they should be moved into the new bounty. As the email stated, the people who made donations were supposed to reply with what they wanted to have done with their money over 1-1/2 years ago, or the funds could be reassigned.
  • »23.02.12 - 15:47
    Simon
    What I am concerned the money that is still there and not claimed or redirected to another bounty 1-1/2 years after the deadline can be used to maintain Morphzone. The original funders of this left-over money clearly don't care about MorphOS anymore.

That said ... bounty money is already paid out as an advance ? Easy money for Marcik then ... Isn't the meaning of a bounty that the programmer gets the money AFTER the results ?

• »23.02.12 - 16:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    Code:
    Please note that a part of the Sputnik donations appear to have been paid out already as an advance. We are waiting for final confirmation from marcik

I didn't get any mail with a question about it (or maybe it was lost in spam) - anyway - I'm still reading forums. So - yes, I've received $550,00 from Targhan on december 2006, a month after first beta was released.

@Oepabakkes

About easy money - just to clear some facts. I've got a part of money after I've delivered results (aka 1st beta). I didn't asked for them - they were offered to me.
    I've released 4 betas in total, and to be honest, feature-wise I think that I've fulfilled all the bounty requirements. But upstream vendor no longer developed khtml branch that sputnik was based on. And that branch wasn't very stable, so it made sputnik itself unstable - way to unstable in my opinion, to claim for a bounty. Changing branch basically meant writing all from scratch and by that time, for many reasons I've stopped my morphos dev activity.
    Anyhow - I've enjoyed working on sputnik, and don't feel like that $550 I got, was an "easy money".
  • »26.02.12 - 15:58
    hooligan
    Quote:

Easy money for Marcik then ... Isn't the meaning of a bounty that the programmer gets the money AFTER the results ?

In my eyes bountyrules were met and the money donated were earned. And know what, Sputnik also boosted forum activity a lot, and I guess the overall moral also, and that is something money can't buy.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.02.12 - 16:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @marcik,

I enjoyed using Sputnik before other alternatives came out for MorphOS, so thank you very much for your work. I don't blame you at all for your decision. It seems to be very reasonable that you stopped for the reason you quoted. I am glad that you were paid a portion of the bounty money for the work that you completed. It was a good browser for it's time and it did increase the usefulness of MorphOS, until something better was released.

I wish there were some way to convince you to return to programming other projects for MorphOS. We need to keep all the programmers we can in this tiny community. I know that many programmers become too busy with their regular jobs and family responsibilities though, and that is why we lose some of them (though I don't know your reason(s) for stopping your programming of any MorphOS software projects).

With all of that said, I still think that the remaining money that was raised for the Sputnik bounty, should be given to Fab, as he gave us all what we needed, by completing and continuing to support and improve a great web browser for MorphOS users.

Nice to see you post here Marcik, because if you are still watching what is happening here on MorphZone.org, there is still hope that you might begin programming more MorphOS software projects in the future.

I see that some members on another forum site have started writing about creating a bounty for kas1e to pay him for his work to port Fab's work on OWB over to OS4.x. I don't have anything against kas1e getting paid for his work, but it would be tragic if they raised more money for kas1e to post Fab's work to OS4.x, than the MorphOS users have donated to Fab for his original work on Odyssey, which OWB-MUI for OS4.x is based on. This is another reason I am hoping that the remaining money from the Sputnik bounty can be donated to Fab for his work on Odyssey (OWB-MUI).

Just think what our MorphOS experience would be like without Fab's Odyssey?
  • »26.02.12 - 17:14
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

That said ... bounty money is already paid out as an advance ? Easy money for Marcik then ... Isn't the meaning of a bounty that the programmer gets the money AFTER the results ?

It wasn't paid out as an advance really, it was partially, as Marcik has now reminded us, paid out after public release of a working beta. When you consider it was the first browser for Amiga-like systems with CSS, and all the work that must've gone into it, it's unreasonable to say that's "easy money."
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »26.02.12 - 17:25
    Velcro_SP
    marcik,
    Quote:

I've released 4 betas in total, and to be honest, feature-wise I think that I've fulfilled all the bounty requirements. But upstream vendor no longer developed khtml branch that sputnik was based on. And that branch wasn't very stable, so it made sputnik itself unstable - way to unstable in my opinion, to claim for a bounty. Changing branch basically meant writing all from scratch and by that time, for many reasons I've stopped my morphos dev activity.

Marcik, although you have ceased MorphOS development now, did you do any work on it at all following the version dated 2 June 2008 on MorphOS 2.0 demo/installation CD? If so would you consider unpacking you Pegasos once more to compile and release that, and would you consider releasing the entirety of your Sputnik source to the public.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »26.02.12 - 17:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    @Velcro_SP:

IIRC, in morphos branch, there were some very minor changes, but nothing that could affect overall usability or stability. Anyhow, I hope someday to return to morphos developing (but with some minor projects, nothing even remotely close to sputnik size), so once I'll boot it, then sure - I think I can release sources, although don't think it'll be useful to anyone.
  • »26.02.12 - 20:53
    Simon
    Now I know it wasn't easy money, but that wasn't really what one could understand untill now. I came to MorphOS after the Sputnik era when OWB was already showing up. I hope you can understand my question about the easy money.

• »27.02.12 - 11:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Guys how about a compromise where Marcik gets more money and Fab gets some too. Marcik did a LOT of work on that project. And at the time was one of the more ambitious morphos projects. Now with OWB its a forgotten past. Anyway, Marcik showed the way and should be rewarded. And Fab naturally deserves a reward for all his hard work on OWB project.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.02.12 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Not sure Marcik is asking for more money than what he has already been paid. If he is, I did not get that impression from either of his posts in this thread.

I assumed that he was okay with what he has already been paid, since he appears to have never asked for any more of the bounty money that was collected. That is why I suggested that what ever is left from that bounty should be given to Fab, in addition to setting up another bounty for Fab, to pay him for his continuing work on Odyssey.

That is my 2 cents.
  • »29.02.12 - 01:40
  • Bounty Manager
    insane
    I agree with magnetic and amigadave.
    Like ASiegel said, we should make a new bounty for
    OWB and transfer the remaining money to it.
  • »29.02.12 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    Can Fab comment on this ?

• »29.02.12 - 19:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Fab already stated that he would not refuse any money offered to him for his work on OWB/Odyssey.

He just has never been active about asking for money that I have seen up to this date.

He has certainly earned what ever we can raise for his work and continuing efforts.
  • »01.03.12 - 00:00