serial console support?
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    if there is no keyboard plugged does the console redirect out the serial port automagically, ala Sun/Alpha?

been reading about the P2 the last couple of months, ever since original post on deadly.org. Platform looks like an interesting embedded system, if you can run serial only console. For remote systems, video and keyboards just get in the way.
  • »03.11.03 - 14:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    No, for the firmware and MorphOS, the serial port at the moment is simply a place to spew debug text, and doesn't accept input as far as I can tell. There may be an option to enable this somewhere, but I didn't look very hard. I'll ask one of our system guys.

If in fact it doesn't, and it is greatly important to you, however, I'm sure we can at least try to make such features available in future firmware updates.

There is no reason why you can't boot Linux or OpenBSD - or any other supported or available operating system - into a serial terminal, however. A keyboard would only be required for initial setup, which is a 5 minute task in many cases ;)
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »03.11.03 - 14:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Yes, if either a grahics card or the keyboard is missing, of will be redirected to the serial port.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »03.11.03 - 14:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    thanks for the quick replies

automagic serial redirection is important 'cause systems have been known to go back to default settings when there are power glitches. If I have a system 12km away, with the only access via a serial line, I won't be able to re-configure to a keyboard if a fault occurs.
  • »03.11.03 - 14:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bigfoot: that would be nice feature for making Pegasos based server/router using either Linux or OpenBSD..

EDIT..
    If you don't need to see console messages.. for login/remote access you only need to remove one comment from etc/inittab . (ttyS1 is pegasos Serial port)

Quote:

Pegasos/Linux PegXLin debian ttyS1

debian login: pegasos
    Password:
    Last login: Mon Nov 3 21:08:39 2003 on ttyS1
    Linux debian 2.4.21-ben2 #5 Sun Aug 3 10:26:49 BST 2003 ppc GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    pegasos@debian:~$

Edit2: And yes.. Above was capruted on PC-terminal proggie. At the moment my Pegasos is runnin Linux without any Gfx-card installed.
    http://somequicknotes.blogspot.com/index.html
  • »03.11.03 - 18:23