suggestions welcome
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    We have been spending most of our time lately supporting the LimePC release. The LimePC uses the Freescale 5121e SoC. The 5121e features a 200MHz co-processor (AXE engine) and the MBX Lite core for graphics. The CPU is a 400MHz e300 PowerPC. Hopefully, millions of LimePC units will be produced, but at this point the number is still less than 100,000.

Currently, our software development is focused on GNU Linux, but we seek more OS options. This is one reason we have decided to support AROS *and* MorphOS once both operating systems are released for the 5200B based EFIKA. We would be pleased to support OS4 too if legal situation was more clear. In any case, a stronger MorphOS community and a stronger AROS community can't be bad for OS4 or Amiga Application Developers and Users. A rising tide lifts all boats...

If you have some thoughts on how we might best restore Amiga-like OS environments to the mass market, please do not hesitate to post the information here or send us an email. Thanks!

Best regards,
    R&B :-)
  • »15.05.08 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    And to pull off what SixK is saying, it would likely involve hitting some kind of verticle market to get a sustainable cash flow that is reliable enough to support development.

@SixK I hate to say it, but it is no longer just "missing feature X," it's that any, and all, Amiga-like OS's are just out of the mainstream development cycle. Even implementing some missing features is no longer enough, our beloved platform(s) have got to somehow be moved back into the development cycle of third parties. Not impossible, just difficult.

Using Efika and MorphOS as an example: develop a shoutcast blade-server. This could, in effect, generate a revenue stream and a demand for a RealMedia(tm) blade server. Such an event could address that lack of support. The same could be repeated for VoIP, Efika w/MorphOS used as an internet phone-base. These sorts of things could put the whole kit-n-kabootle back into a few development cycles that pay for themselves. By the way, don't take my examples as the winning recipe--it is just a example for an idea ;-)

It is exactly what Apple did with the iPod, without which--the Macs would be a historical footnote by now.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »29.08.08 - 15:01
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    I think you are both (Targhan and SixK) right. In fact you need some cash to start those development cycles, that will sustain themselves after.
    Anyway, I think that SixK in the first place when told about mass market, thought about the desktop market, and we all know that MorphOS cannot dominate the desktop environment right now. At the moment there are some niches that can be targeted, like those suggested by Targhan.
    Although we, more educated users, appreciate MorphOS also as a desktop system (at least I do, it's by far my main machine). And about web surfing, that I saw many times among the things we need, I think Sputnik is shaping up nicely. I'd like that more than a coder worked on it, though, to speed up the development.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »29.08.08 - 20:54