Scalos Vs Ambient
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    I am experimenting with scalos lately and i think that it will become my standard MOS desktop. It`s far from been perfect: It doesn`t allow multiple menu items selection, it keeps messing up my pallete (don`t know why), the about requester produces hits, etc.
    BUT, Imho, it`s must better that the last official version of Ambient:
    Much more Workbench-like!
    Much more functional! (see previous comment ;-) )
    It feels faster and consumes less memory.
    It supports progressive icon display
    >> text window mode (like the latest unofficial Ambient)
    More configurable.

Having said all these, i haven`t tried the latest Ambient. My biggest hesitation is that it requires MUI 4.0 and i`ve heard many times that it`s a lot slower than 3.9 . How true is this? (Keep in mind that my gfx card is a BVision)

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2006/3/1 15:21 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »01.03.06 - 12:56
    hooligan
    Quote:

Having said all these, i haven`t tried the latest Ambient. My biggest hesitation is that it requires MUI 4.0 and i`ve heard many times that it`s a lot slower than 3.9 . How true is this? (Keep in mind that my gfx card is a BVision)

Easy to answer. MUI4 is not slow, your graphicscard is. And if you're using BVision, the rest of your system is slow aswell.. all in all everything is slow. Making something modern fast on a slow system is hardly ever possible.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »01.03.06 - 14:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Use MUI4 and a recent Ambient compile and stop whining.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »01.03.06 - 14:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    @AmigaMancer:
    Quote:

My biggest hesitation is that it requires MUI 4.0 and i`ve heard many times that it`s a lot slower than 3.9 . How true is this? (Keep in mind that my gfx card is a BVision)

Well, i'm using MUI4 and recent Ambient (built by myself) on my PowerUP system (it's a CSPPC 604e/180 + CVPPC), and it's not slower than MUI3.9 + original 1.4.5 Ambient. Well, MUI4 can be slower sometimes, because it has enabled debug. But it doesn't hurt the performance so much. It's not even noticeable normally. On the contrary Ambient needs to be built without debug to be useable with PowerUP systems. But then, it's even a bit faster than 1.4.5 Ambient, due to optimizations happenned in recent Ambient versions.

@All:
    Don't recommend him to use a recent Ambient build on his classic system, because daily downloadable Ambient builds are with debug enabled, which slows the thing down far below an useable level on PowerUP systems. Thank you for your attention.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »01.03.06 - 15:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • juergen
  • »01.03.06 - 19:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    @wishmaster
    I didn't whine at all.

@Chain-Q
    Thank you for the feedback. It was very useful to me as your setup is very similar to mine. :-)

@juergen
    Quote:

I would like to learn more about your trouble with Scalos!

Exactly what do you mean by "multiple menu items selection"?

Ok, i will try to give an example:
    While holding down the RMB, go to the window menu and select Show->All files with your LMB. Although you are still pressing the RMB the menu disappears. This forbids you to make another selection and it shouldn't happen.

Quote:

Additionally, I would appreciate very much to get details about your observed hits with the about requester.
    I have noticed no hit on any of my machines.

It's not that the About function is important at all right? :-) but i will send you the log in 5 minutes. Check you PMs.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the palette problems are well-known, but I haven't found a solution yet :/

I hope that you will find what causing it in the future, because it's a bit annoying bug. It happens in many occasions, like when you run the Scalos prefs and you press use or save for example. Iirc, it also occured when i was using AGA. (68k version)

Oh, i forgot to mention the most serious bug that i have discovered so far: When i try to "drag around" an icon or make a "lasso box", (is this how they call it?) for a few seconds while running SnoopDos, the whole system locks! It doesn't happen every time, but in many of my attempts.
    This problem manifests in both AmigaOS and MorphOS but not with Ambient. So, it can`t be a system configuration error.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »02.03.06 - 09:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    would a "strip Ambient" take out the debug info and make it faster?
  • »03.03.06 - 08:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    that's exactly why i don't use Scalos. It's workbench-like and i always thought that the original workbench was the weakest AmigaOS point. I'm glad that the ambient team is pushing the amiga desktop further, and i really like the way they do it.
    And scalos is way too unstable.
  • »03.03.06 - 09:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    I started using Scalos on AOS3 because WB (even in 3.9) was too limited for my taste.
    I re-started using scalos on MOS because Ambient (as in 1.4.2) was too limited for my taste.
    Now when an official MOS release comes out with the new shining Ambient, maybe I'll switch. I'll give it a try at any rate.
  • »03.03.06 - 12:44