BeOS on Pegasos!
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    RockmanX
    Anche se non possiedo ancora un Pegasos, mi è venuto un colpo di genio e ho capito come si potrebbe installarci BeOS: basterà farlo sotto MacOS 9 emulato! Il cd di installazione di BeOS ha infatti una partizione Mac con tutti i tools necessari (un estensione del sistema che blocca il boot di MacOS per bootare BeOS) per installarlo e farlo partire...
    Me piacerebbe sapere se qualcuno ci potesse provare!

-- Same in English --

While I still haven't purchased a Pegasos, I've got a great idea and understood how to run BeOS on it: it just needs an emulated MacOS 9! Infact, BeOS installation's cd has a Mac partition with all the needed tools (a system extension that stops the MacOS booting process to start BeOS' one) to install and run it...
    I would really like to know if someone could try it!

[ Edited by RockmanX on 2004/8/25 23:49 ]
  • »25.08.04 - 22:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Why not maked two post? This is messy...

I think that MOL must support BeoS first, as you said, stops MacOS 9 and runs BeOS, so... But you has Haiku (was OpenBeOS) that will be a clone of BeOS and seems be better in some aspects... But why not try first MorphOS? MorphOS 1.5 looks promising! ;-)
  • »26.08.04 - 02:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Promising? Not too much people are really aware about what is coming for MOS1.5.

Getting really upset of waiting...

Maybe Santa Clauss will bring us a nice gift... :)

It would be nice to have Haiku ported to Pegasos mobo.
  • »26.08.04 - 08:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    RockmanX
    I'm sure MorphOS is the best OS option for Pegasos, but I'm also a long-time BeOS user and I'm sure it's a great OS for PPC...
    However, I'm sure it will be simpler to have Haiku on Pegasos than an actual version of BeOS, because it's obviuos that they will be trying to reach as many platforms as they can.
    Hope Genesi will continue (or start?) the dialogue with the Haiku team as soon as possible...

@BeOS users in here: give your opinion! (And if you tried BeOS on PegXMac, let us know the results!)
  • »26.08.04 - 12:04
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I personally always thought of BeOS as having what the AmigaOS never really had (browsers, video-editing etc.) and lacking what AmigaOS had (great gfx-tools, DTP etc.)

I am currently running BeOS on my laptop, but I sadly had to sell my Pegasos a few months ago, so I cannot really say if it would work to run BeOS under MOL. As soon as I get the finances to buy a new Pegasos(II) I will for sure give it a try...

As I know some ppl in the BeOS community I think I can say for sure that the only commercial BeOS developer, YellowTAB, will not support the PPC platform. It is just too small.
    Now, I don´t want to sound negative, though I might already have passed that point... But the PPC-code for BeOS is still under copyright AFAIK. The versions of BeOS that are freely available are all based on BeOS Personal Edition, and is only available for x86.

So, Haiku seems to be the best shot we have at getting BeOS up and running on Pegasos in a legal way. But it seems like they still have a long way to go.... :-?

Can anyone who knows someone from the Haiku-community comment?!

---

As far as MorphOS is concerned, I am a fan! A big fan!
    8-)
  • »26.08.04 - 12:56
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    I have always wanted to try BeOS but have never had the opportunity.

I'm still amazed by what the BeOS community has achieved, such as pro audio/music apps, and having BeOS running on the Pegasos would be awesome.

I also liked thisBeBox case design:

BeBox-blue+red.jpg

What would be cool is to find case designers who can clone this case, improve on it, and stuff a pegasos running BeOS inside! :-D

Bounty anyone? :-D
  • »26.08.04 - 13:55
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    gary_c
    The BeBox is a standard ATX case but has a custom front panel. I thought it was neat at the time but it looks kind of dated now, don't you think?

One major attraction was the two LED "pulse" columns that showed (dual) cpu activity level as well as power-on and HD activity.

As far as I know, custom case parts are quite expensive to produce in low volumes. Maybe there's some off-the-shelf solutions for a BeBox-looking case. But I think a better idea would be not to try to duplicate the case, but make a new one maybe "inspired" by it, with some design echoes, the LEDs, and so on, but using new, available parts.

As for the OS, something like 4 Haiku guys, including the kernel person, have Pegs and work is under way on a PPC port. I don't know what the current status is; seems like BBRV mentioned earlier this year that the port is still in progress. It seems like, earlier, Genesi was promoting as many OS ports as possible, but now seems to be focussed on Linux. I guess this is due to the income crunch for one thing. But I hope all the initiatives begun earlier aren't just left hanging. A little communication to the people doing the ports now and then would be very good, I imagine. I hope this is happening.

A bigger problem may not be the initial port, but growing the platform even after the kernel and other OS components are ported. When 98% (or whatever) of Haiku developers and users are on x86, PPC activity might lag. It all depends on how active the Pegasos Haiku users and devs are, and how many end users get on board.

The BeOS experience could provide a lesson: once the x86 port was introduced, PPC support (apps) dropped way down. But this was partly (or maybe mostly) because supported PPC hardware gradually aged as more recent Macs didn't run BeOS. It'll be up to Genesi and Peg users (and other users if the Haiku port can be run on non-Peg PPC platforms) to make PPC Haiku viable.

(Sorry for no Italian version of this post. :-) )

-- gary_c
  • »27.08.04 - 02:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

The BeBox is a standard ATX case but has a custom front panel. I thought it was neat at the time but it looks kind of dated now, don't you think?

Not at all. Just as you can buy retro looking cars here in North America like the PT Cruiser why not to bring back one of the nicer retro case designs? :-D

Show me a 'retro' PC case that looks nicer!

Most case designs I have seen lately I consider to be ugly, except for designs from SONY VAIO or Apple (except maybe that ugly lampy imac)

One thing I would change are the I/O ports. USB, Firewire, but also classic MIDI ports would be a requirement. However, most people do not like to have to reach to the back to plug in or unplug cables. A breakout box makes sense! :-D

Quote:

As far as I know, custom case parts are quite expensive to produce in low volumes. Maybe there's some off-the-shelf solutions for a BeBox-looking case. But I think a better idea would be not to try to duplicate the case, but make a new one maybe "inspired" by it, with some design echoes, the LEDs, and so on, but using new, available parts.

Did I forget to put "inspired by" in my original post? That's what I meant.

Quote:

The BeOS experience could provide a lesson: once the x86 port was introduced, PPC support (apps) dropped way down. But this was partly (or maybe mostly) because supported PPC hardware gradually aged as more recent Macs didn't run BeOS. It'll be up to Genesi and Peg users (and other users if the Haiku port can be run on non-Peg PPC platforms) to make PPC Haiku viable.

Does life reflect Art?

BeOS by itself is just another operating system in an x86 world. Pegasos is just a PowerPC motherboard.

But combine them all together: A Cool retro-looking "inspired by" BeBox case, BeOS operating system (with MorphOS and linux along for the ride), and a Pegasos G4 motherboard at the heart of it...

Now we are talking! :-D

[ Edited by Darth_X on 2004/8/27 2:35 ]
  • »27.08.04 - 10:21
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    artickfox
    Forse si potrebbe fare con Bochs (versione linux o MOS) con la versione "Max" di BeOS per 86x. Altrimenti dovrebbe esserci Qemu per Linux che permette di impiegare gli OS per PPC, e forse si può far andare "l'originale BeOS" delle BeBox se supporta il processore.

Altrimenti bisognerebbe cercare sulla rete se c'è un Emulatore per "BeBox" per Linux (per ora MOS ha pochi emu). La cosa poi si ridurrebbe a far partire Linux e poi l'emu.

Immagino che non sia la stessa cosa usarlo con un emu invece che da originale, però meglio di niente...
    ... comunque la cosa migliore è sperare che le nuove versioni di BeOS possano diventare usabili e vengano portate anche sui PPC, includendo il supporto per Peggy. O fare qualcosa per convincerli a farlo... :hammer: :roll:

[ Edited by artickfox on 2004/10/30 13:26 ]
  • »30.10.04 - 12:25
    Profile Visit Website