What open-source software do you like be ported to MOS?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    @tomjoad

Slow compared with native apps, dependency of the virtual machine (as someone said, some apps use things that are only on one VM, and this occour too with .NET and his VM), I prefer native code in C/C++
  • »29.08.04 - 18:40
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

Slow compared with native apps

Not necessarily - JIT are improving as well. Actually, a JIT could optimise code for the processor in the user's computer. If you're compiling natively, you'd have to build several version for several processors to achieve the same.

Quote:

dependency of the virtual machine (as someone said, some apps use things that are only on one VM, and this occour too with .NET and his VM),

Not a problem with VMs per se. I'm actually not quite sure if you mix up VM and APIs and completeness/compatibility of their implementation here. The VM itself should not be the problem. So I think the fault is not the principle of VMs.

Quote:

I prefer native code in C/C++

So do I - but I use to code it my own VM on top of which I can implement my stuff so I'm platform independent ;-)
  • »29.08.04 - 19:33
    OT: tonjoad, what about ScummVM for MorphOS? Do you will start coding in the ScummVM CVS anytime?

And yes, an API problem, due that windows has some own things that are used for the majority of apps, and microsoft has the estrategy on make wider the standard, and later the new apps will run only on the .NET microsoft implementation due to new things on it. And then all other implementations will be fucked.

[ Edited by timofonic on 2004/8/29 20:56 ]
  • »29.08.04 - 19:54
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Ronald wrote:
    Outlook is a great Microsoft app. IMO all Amigans would greatly benefit from having a similar groupware/emailer for MorphOS.

I agree, I actually NEED something like Outlook (not outlook express) for MorphOS to use it on a daily basis. In fact if I learn to code, maybe I'll write something like that.

Quote:

.NET is big. C# will crush Java like a worm. Go program in Java for 6 months. Then go take up C# for the next 6 months. You'll never go back to Java. The APIs are horrible in Java.

isn't .NET one big virus/trojan gateway? :-D

C# is a microsoft product, so why bother even coding for MorphOS if there's a better operating system like Windows to code for that has a huge installed base, great dev tools and lots of paying customers? :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »29.08.04 - 20:59
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    @timofonic

So when are you going to start porting these things? :-D
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »29.08.04 - 21:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

And yes, an API problem, due that windows has some own things that are used for the majority of apps, and microsoft has the estrategy on make wider the standard, and later the new apps will run only on the .NET microsoft implementation due to new things on it. And then all other implementations will be fucked.

Well that's correct, but that is just no explanation why **VMs** in general must suck (I was separating VM from the libraries implemented on top of it). If Mono would get ported, it wouldn't actually make remote sense to even *try* to make it compatible with the Microsoft APIs but rather build some for MorphOS - MUI# if you will (like Cocoa# or whatever they call it). So folks who are used to Java could program MorphOS in C# if they prefer this to C++. Something about choice. Personally I don't give a damn about C#, I have a strong interest in classless OO languages.

See ... I'm not denying that .NET crap people write for Windoze will never run on anything else than Windoze, despite "platform independence".
  • »29.08.04 - 21:54
    It seems stupid program a bytecode thing using native stuff of MorphOS, then why not do it in native code? Maybe better a C# compiler? And yes, accept .NET is equal to make Microsoft stronger. VMs are crap because are slower, trance is good because is heavily optimized and very well developed, so it gives vwery god results. But native stuff is faster than 68k emulated stuff...
  • »29.08.04 - 22:34
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
    isn't .NET one big virus/trojan gateway? :-D

C# is a microsoft product, so why bother even coding for MorphOS if there's a better operating system like Windows to code for that has a huge installed base, great dev tools and lots of paying customers? :-D

Isn't Microsoft one big virus? :-P

C# is also a standard and free. You're not tied to .NET or Mono. You can compile directly to native (like in DotGNU).

Why bother coding for MorphOS? You tell me, mister amiga user. :-D

Ain't coding and making stuff supposed to be fun? ;-)
    - Ronald
  • »29.08.04 - 23:50
    @Ronald

This is a MorphOS webpage with a MorphOS forum, so if you not interested on MorphOS, use other webpages like PPC Zone...

Mister Amiga user? What do you mean? Please stop flaming, this isn't ANN.lu...
  • »30.08.04 - 00:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    @timofonic
    You should read slower and try to understand other people's posts before getting all worked up. :-)
    - Ronald
  • »30.08.04 - 00:49
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    ** taps the applies to topic sign ** :-)

i'm all for discussing languages and their benefits, but if anyone wishes to continue, please start another topic <3
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »30.08.04 - 02:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Ronald wrote:

Isn't Microsoft one big virus? :-P

indeed.

Quote:

C# is also a standard and free. You're not tied to .NET or Mono. You can compile directly to native (like in DotGNU).

I'll have to see this to believe it.

Quote:

Why bother coding for MorphOS? You tell me, mister amiga user. :-D

Ain't coding and making stuff supposed to be fun? ;-)

formerly known as an amiga user, wouldn't want to be associated anything amigaTM now.

Less work = more fun! :-D
  • »30.08.04 - 20:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Sorry, Mr. Moderator, a last one then I'll shut up :)

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to see this to believe it.

Look: Here are the specifications for the CLI and C#. There is even some code if I see it correctly.

And here is an interview (interestingly on the Microsoft site) with the Mono lead developer. It's quite a good read, even if just to see some folks are more open to ideas from anywhere (even the dark side).

Quote: "We are doing this for selfish reasons: we want a better way of developing Linux and Unix applications ourselves and we see the CLI as such a thing."

And for the last time: the runtime, the C# language and the class library can be seen three separate things. One does not really have to be tied to the others.

Ok, I'm done now :)
  • »30.08.04 - 22:10
  • Just looking around
    grxmrx
    NAME: Direct Connect Text Client

DESCRIPTION: Direct Connect clone

OFFICIAL SITE: http://ac2i.homelinux.com/dctc/

NAME: MySQL

DESCRIPTION: Database.

OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.mysql.com
  • »30.08.04 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    NAME: Directory Opus4

DESCRIPTION: A very flexible file manager for Amiga computers.

OFFICIAL SITE: http://home.c2i.net/P_M_Iversen/DOpus/index.html

NAME: netatalk

DESCRIPTION: Software allowing to use AppleTalk protocol to connect to Apple Macintosh computers.

OFFICIAL SITE: netatalk.sourceforge.net

A little announce: perl v5.6.1 is finished. I need only to package it.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »31.08.04 - 11:48
    Profile Visit Website