PegxLin
  • Just looking around
    How I can install pegxlin from Super Bundle collection or does it work at all in Pegasos II.
    I have made two partition (linux & swap),i have copyed install and pegxlin to my boot partition (where boot.img is). I wrote "boot install video=radeon hdc=ide-scsi" like readme file told me to do, then it stuck and last line is "returning 0x00010000 from prom_init", after five minute it's boot to MorphOs.

Could someone tell me what to do?
  • »28.03.04 - 21:29
  • Targhan
    I've been told that it doesn't work on the peg2, but I haven't tried it myself. If you get it to work somehow, please let the rest of us know :-D
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »28.03.04 - 21:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Pegxlin doesn't work on the Pegasos II. You have to get the installer form Sven Luther (Debian Installer).

Then boot with this installer: boot di-2004.03.15 devfs=mount mem=256M video=radeon:1024x768@60 (if you've got a radeon videocard)

This Debian installer doesn"t work with the Debian cd's, it's a netinstaller. You must use testing install.
    The 'mem=256M' option is only needed if you have more than 256MB in
    your Peg.
  • »28.03.04 - 21:39
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Success!! Oh, wait...not just yet. Thanks to stumbling across this thread, I was able to finally boot the Linux installer for my Peg II. I had to use a variation on the string that omitted the mem=256 (stuck on the prom_init if left in). Makes sense that this could be left out if you have recently flashed your OpenFirmware to the latest which fixes the no greater than 256MB RAM in Linux bug. I obviously left out the video=radeon since I have a Voodoo3.

Sure, enough, I see the screen asking for my language and I continue to advance to each of the following screens and was sure to finally select the "testing" install as indicated.

Unforunately, the install bombed when trying to "retrieve anna". I received a red background screen with a "Failed to retrieve installer component" "failed for unknown reasons. Aborting".

Shall I select something other than "testing" next time?!?

Any help appreciated.
  • »16.04.04 - 06:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    UPDATE: I managed to somehow trigger a connection to the files online...I believe I simply went back a step or two and reenabled DHCP again. Surprisingly, the installer components started to download. Following that, I proceeded to configure and format my partitions successfully. All was well until the end and the warning I received about not having a boot loader installed. I was further advised to use the manual boot method with the inclusion of "root=/dev/hda(x)"

Well, I tried to make sense out of the partition data. I believe my linux partition would actually be at hda3. I did an ls at the OF prompt and I do appear to see the linux stuff there. What is the name of the kernal should I be booting for this install, though? I believe it is later than 2.4.22. I did not catch the actual name, though.

If someone could volunteer the correct boot command string, that would be great.

Jeff
  • »16.04.04 - 07:07
  • Targhan
    boot /pci/ide/disk@X,X:X boot di-2004.03.15 root=/dev/hdYY

where:
    X,X:X would be the same as booting MorphOS
    and
    YY would be disk - partition (hda1, or hdb1, etc)

add video=radeon blah if needed.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »16.04.04 - 07:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Sven
    Hello.

The pegxlin kernel doesn't know about the pegasos II, which is quite normal, since it was released in august 2003.

There are 3 solutions :

1) install pegxlin on a pegasos 1, upgrade the kernel with a pegasos 2 aware kernel, and move the disk to the pegasos 2 box.

2) use one of the pegxlin/debian images of the image installer team (you need to buy their CD/DVD though, i especially recomend the DVD with all 5 images on it).

3) use Debian-installer to do a real installation of Debian GNU/Linux. This would need you to go through the hassles of the installation and setup though. But at least the initial setup is easy enough. I will post more info in the PLC user-forum on monday.

Notice also that the canonical place to ask for such questions is the PLC user-forum, which is both a web based and email based forum, and i respond on most those issues, without needing to be pointed to them.

The PLC can be found at : http://linux.pegasosppc.com Register, and then once accepted go to the MyPLc tab to chose the mailing lists which interest you (user-forum and news are the main ones).

Friendly,

Sven Luther
  • »16.04.04 - 08:27
  • Just looking around
    Sven
    I need to improve this part and give the complete pegasos command line.

if your root partition is /dev/hda3, and you have no separate /boot partition, you have to :

boot ide:2 /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-powerpc root=/dev/hda3

If you have a separate /boot partition as /dev/hda4 (for example), you can simply do :

boot ide:3 vmlinuz-2.4.25-powerpc root=/dev/hda3

Friendly,

Sven Luther
  • »16.04.04 - 08:30
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

boot /pci/ide/disk@X,X:X boot di-2004.03.15 root=/dev/hdYY

My first instinct was to try this as well. It hung up on me, though. The string is nearly identical to the one for the install except that "devfs=mount" is left out. I assume that was needed for the network connection to the install files.

Makes perfect sense to use the same kernal that successfully booted for the installation, but is that the most current Peg II compatible version? I was thinking that if I was able to get through the install, I may be able to use vmlinuz again. Perhaps not, though.

I will try variations on the root=/dev/hdYY part to see if that helps.

(ooopps...just realized the string you gave me has an extra "boot" in there prior to "di-2004.03.15". Was that intentional? Perhaps that was my problem.)

Sven, I haven't ignored your suggestions. I am exploring all options.

Thanks!!
  • »16.04.04 - 16:30
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Here is the string that finally worked for me:

boot /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0 di-2004.03.15 root=/dev/hda4

Makes more sense that hda(4) was the correct choice since it is the 4th partition that was selected for the linix system.

BLAM! Things started to really happen after that. More configuration screens appeared for Time Zone and then my preferred package installation method. I stuck with ftp since that is how the install was started. I chose a modest package set, nothing fancy. It is in the process of retrieving the files now. Looking good so far.

My chosen ftp site is ftp.debian.org.
  • »17.04.04 - 05:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    D'oh!! Still more configuration, unpacking and loads of "Setting up..." scrolling across the screen. At one point I was asked to select a video card type for X Windows. I couldn't locate a match for my Voodoo3 3000. I chose the closest thing-- tdfx.

Darn! When starting X Windows, I receive an error message about no devices being detected and "no screens found"

Is there an appropriate selection for the Voodoo3 and can it be repaired from the command prompt?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • »17.04.04 - 07:20
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Welp, I swapped my video card out for a Radeon 7000 (and was sure to select "ati" at the prompt) and I'm still having trouble starting X Windows. Is this particular release of Debian in need on an XFree86 update (shows a build that is almost a year old), or is there something else I need to be looking at? Is X Windows support even working with Debian on the Pegasos II?

Jeff
  • »20.04.04 - 01:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ultraspec
    Yes it is :)

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file may require some manual editing.
  • »20.04.04 - 17:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Thanks for the tip. Any suggestions as to what I should be making the edits to?!? I haven't seen the file yet. Hopefully, it is obvious.
  • »20.04.04 - 18:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    jdryyz, it is quite difficult to install real time anything with only a help of a forum.

I would suggest you to find us in the irc channel!

It makes it easier ;-)

#morphos
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »20.04.04 - 18:17
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Sounds reasonable. I'll join in later today.
  • »20.04.04 - 21:03