MorphOS beginner
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    Hi everyone!

I'm not totally new to MorphOS (AROS either but that's another story) but every time I tried installing it, I could never get past the initial install.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I ould get an HP OfficeJet printer working with GhostScript 8.70? I'm trying to make a new system for Christmas with 3.17 and Dan Wood's advice for extras. I anticipate a 2GB PowerBook G4 with a 480GB SSD. Just need modern conveniences on it.
    Only Amiga makes it possible!
  • »23.11.22 - 05:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Office-jet (as most inkjets) don't understand postscript - you have to go over Turboprint. First you may check Turboprint-drivers. Maybe one of the older Deskjet-drivers will work (If not I suggest to buy a postscript capable Laserprinter)

To print postsciptfiles from a application, you have install Ghostscript correct and to prepare Turboprint (prefs/printer)

44752535fd.jpg

Now you can send your postcript-output to logical device PS: , which is created from Turboprint during runtime. TP (Ghostsript) converts it to bitmap and prints it out to your printer (hopefully).

A hint: MorphOS does'nt have much drivers for such printers, and even, they are not the newest. So it makes much more sense, to user printers, which understand PCL or better, Postscript directly. GDI-Printers won't work!
    A good coice are most of HP-Laserprinters. With .ppd-configfile (used by prefs/printers) and Webinterface they can adjusted fine. Even duplex will work.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.11.22 - 13:20
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Maybe this helps :

https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1588365

;-)
  • »23.11.22 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Welcome Stan!

The PowerBook is a great laptop for MorphOS. Dan is also a great resource for the community, enjoy his videos as well.

If you own TurboPrint from the Amiga days, all of those printer drivers are compatible with MorphsOS. I use an old Deskjet driver from TP and it works perfectly.
    To copy:
    1. Go to the printers directory in TP on your Amiga.
    2. Copy them into MOSSYS:TP/Printers. (Normally I don't touch the MOSSYS:, but I don't know how to do it otherwise.

Good luck! If you get the bug of MorphOS like I have, I just updated to a PowerMac 2.7 with a X1950 and it flies like crazy. I can watch HD content easily and everything is fast. So if you get a bug for more speed, that is one way to go...

Have fun!

Quote:

StantheMorphOSMan wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I'm not totally new to MorphOS (AROS either but that's another story) but every time I tried installing it, I could never get past the initial install.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I ould get an HP OfficeJet printer working with GhostScript 8.70? I'm trying to make a new system for Christmas with 3.17 and Dan Wood's advice for extras. I anticipate a 2GB PowerBook G4 with a 480GB SSD. Just need modern conveniences on it.

• »23.11.22 - 17:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Office-jet (as most inkjets) don't understand
    > postscript - you have to go over Turboprint.

Not necessarily:

"Drivers are represented using PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files, which support both Postscript and non-Postscript printers. [...] PPD files for Postscript printers will be added and they are ready to work. PPD files for other printers (PCL/SPL/ESCPR) contain reference to filter file (actual driver which translates data to printer binary format)." (emphasis mine)
    https://library.morph.zone/Print_System

"Added driver for HP PCL5 printer"
    https://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.12

So if his OfficeJet printer speaks PCL5, he should be able to cope without TurboPrint and use the new (since MorphOS 3.10) printing system instead.

> install Ghostscript

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=12813&start=7

> it makes much more sense, to user printers, which understand PCL [...]

There's a chance his OfficeJet printer does exactly that, I think.
  • »23.11.22 - 18:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've never seen a HP-Officejet-Printer, understanding Postscript or PCL till yet (maybe there is one in the proffessonal segment)
    I own a Officejet 7110 - A3 printer, and there is no PCL or Postscript-emulation - only bitmap.

The only way to run such a thing, is as I've described above.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 23.11.2022 - 19:35 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.11.22 - 19:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I've never seen a HP-Officejet-Printer, understanding Postscript or PCL till yet
    > (maybe there is one in the proffessonal segment)

Essentially all OfficeJet printers come with at least PCL3GUI support, but unlike PCL3 this is not supported by MorphOS, unfortunately. Some OfficeJet Pro models come with support for PCL5, PCL6, PostScript and PDF, for instance the OfficeJet Pro 8210 currently starting from about 120 EUR in the EU, which despite the "Pro" naming does not seem to be a "Pro" price. Going by these specs, this printer is likely to work with the new MorphOS printing system, both directly via PostScript and via the PCL5 driver.
    To discern the capability of the thread opener's OfficeJet printer, we'd need to know the exact model designation. With our current level of knowledge, we cannot completely rule out that he can use the new printing system, which is to be preferred I think.

> I own a Officejet 7110 - A3 printer, and there is no PCL

According to the official specs, "HP PCL 3" is the printer's language. You even promoted this printer mentioning PCL3 support two years ago:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=18&topic_id=13009
  • »23.11.22 - 21:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    According to the official specs, "HP PCL 3" is the printer's language. You even promoted this printer mentioning PCL3 support two years ago:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=18&topic_id=13009

Yeah, but that does'nt help for MorphOS, so it's not relevant.
    But interessting that there now cheap ones which does PCL5 or PCL6.

Lets wait for a statement which printer it really is...
  • »23.11.22 - 22:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > interessting that there now cheap ones which does PCL5 or PCL6.

...and PostScript/PDF most notably. The OfficeJet Pro 8210 came to market 6½ years ago for about the same price it is now. Median of best price over the years is about 85 EUR, so current price is relatively high.

> Lets wait for a statement which printer it really is...

Yes.
  • »23.11.22 - 22:52
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    Hi again everyone!
    I've enjoyed reading the posts, and I've actually taken time to print off some of the manuals/PDF files posted.

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8035, and our network printer is an Epson Workforce 4833. I plan on dedicating the HP to my morphOS system when i finish assembling it.

If the HP won't work, I'll buy one of the Turbo print compatible printers :)
  • »24.11.22 - 13:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have an OfficeJet Pro 8035

According to specs, this is a PCL3GUI-only printer, so chances to make it work with MorphOS are slim, even with TurboPrint.

> our network printer is an Epson Workforce 4833.

This one has a good chance to work with the new MorphOS printing system as MorphOS 3.12 "Added driver for Epson ESC/P-R printers", with ESC/P-R happening to be the native language of this model.

> If the HP won't work, I'll buy one of the Turbo print compatible printers :)

I suggest using a printer that's compatible with the new MorphOS printing system (which means PostScript, PCL5, ESC/P-R, SPL2/SPLc) and not take ancient TurboPrint into account.
  • »24.11.22 - 15:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Pro 8035 understands PCL3 GUI (which is not compatible to other PCL3). I'm afraid that won't work with MorphOS new printing system and not with the old one (Turboprint) too. You may try an old HP-Deskjet-driver in Turboprint and test. And if it even works, it will print only in low resolution.

Workforce 4833: Don't find any information about his print language - I assume EPSON has its own language. But there seems to be a way to print PDF-files directly.
    So create an logical network-device for that printer (let say named PRTN: ) with netprinter.device and print a pdf direct to the device. (for help: https://library.morph.zone/Print_System)

copy <file.pdf> >PRTN:

If it works, there may be a chance that this printer can also understands postscript.

Edit: Oh, Andreas was quicker.....!!

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 24.11.2022 - 15:36 ]
  • »24.11.22 - 15:35
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    That is a genuine surprise! I'll try it when my system gets here and I have it set up, and let you know. :)

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

According to specs, this is a PCL3GUI-only printer, so chances to make it work with MorphOS are slim, even with TurboPrint.

This one has a good chance to work with the new MorphOS printing system as MorphOS 3.12 "Added driver for Epson ESC/P-R printers", with ESC/P-R happening to be the native language of this model.

I suggest using a printer that's compatible with the new MorphOS printing system (which means PostScript, PCL5, ESC/P-R, SPL2/SPLc) and not take ancient TurboPrint into account.
  • »30.11.22 - 20:35
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Could you be so kind as to walk me through setting up an Epson ESC/P-R printer with the new print system? I can't find anything on it on the MorphOS CD. Nor for any printer or new print system. What am I missing?
  • »17.12.22 - 04:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ StantheMorphOSMan - The Epson file you need for that printer seems it should be in - System> MorphOS> Data> Printers> epson-escpr-wrapper, and in that printers folder there is an additional PPD folder (no icon) that has an epson.ppd.lha - not sure if you need to add that to System> Devs> Printers as I am not sure which model you actually have :-?, and I don't own such a printer, so I don't know if the epson.ppd file is required - maybe worthwhile unarchiving it and putting it in Devs> Printers anyway, if you don't need it nothing adverse will happen anyway. 8-)

However, for a PostScript printer like my HP2500 you need to use the "Printers" system printer mechanism ... NOT "Printer" (no 's' on the end). You need to physically add your PPD file (mine is "HP2500_6.PPD") into the System> Devs> Printers folder, and then using the MorphOS (System Settings) Preferences> Printers - link to it via the Drivers tab using the "Add..." button, and then select it within the Printer profile tab and also select the other methods you want to use, such as the "Output path" (printer device i.e. USBPAR, NETPAR, etc.), Options. ;-)

With a bit of luck that should be about it . . . I can't guarantee it as I don't have the printer type you have acquired for use with MorphOS, but it would be nice to know if you are successful in getting it to function correctly. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »17.12.22 - 05:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Could you be so kind as to walk me through setting up an Epson ESC/P-R
    > printer with the new print system? I can't find anything on it on the
    > MorphOS CD. Nor for any printer or new print system. What am I missing?

Comments #5 and #12 have a link to the article on the MorphOS Library that describes setting up a printer with the new printing system. Did you follow the steps there? If you did, at which step did it fail for you?
  • »17.12.22 - 14:46