How to get Arexx running on Morphos?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hello,

I got E-UAE running and there is a script (arexx) that should kind of "auto-start" the emulation with a given config. this script will not work, because I need to install "Arexx librarys" to my MorphOS system.

The only time, I saw something "Arexx" was on Amiga systems 3.2 and 4.1 for example - can I just copy some of this libs over to MorphOS? (guess not) ;)

Can somebody explain, how to make Arexx scripts work/executable on MorphOS, please?

There is also another programm (TV-Paint) that complains about missing Arexx on startup - but after
    clicking "Ooooops -OK" it fires up and works normally.

Any help would be appreciated!

Elo
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »30.08.22 - 22:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    In mossys:libs rename rexxsyslib.library to rexxsyslib.library_disabled and copy the 68k version of os 3.2 rexxsyslib.library to sys:libs.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 31.08.2022 - 00:00 ]
  • »30.08.22 - 22:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Hmmm, I am not sure:

I have "System Disk" Libs folder. this is, where I put the 68k versions.

What is the difference between "mossys:" and "sys:libs" ?? Where can I find this folders?

I got just plain standard install of MorphOS

I got System:Libs and System:MorphOS:Libs

In the first one, I got my copied librarys (and some SDL librarays from a UAE-SDL installation)
    , in the 2nd one are many other files (already existing rexx.libs)

So I think, I need to rename the existing ones and that´s it?

cheers!

[ Editiert durch Elowan 31.08.2022 - 11:58 ]
  • »31.08.22 - 10:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    ok, I figured out ;)

Now I can run the script, but it kind of fails:

13 *_* pragma('D', uaedir)
    ++++ Command returned 10

UAE: Failed to load kickstart image kick.rom
    After clicking "OK":

32 *_* UAEEXE 'wbrun ' resolvedpath:
    ++++ Command returned 10

I did the config with rhLaunch and I start it from within the script:

uaedir = "Work:E-UAE_1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae"
    uaepath = "Work:E-UAE_1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae"
    uaeconfig = "Work:E-UAE_1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae/Conf/A1200-020-688881HR.conf"

(this three lines are the only ones, I modified to match my E-UAE installation)

In my config file "A1200-020-688881HR.conf" under "Work:E-UAE:1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae/Conf"
    the path to kick.rom is set:

kickstart_rom_file="Work:E-UAE_1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae/Roms/kick.rom"

If I start this config from rhLaunch, the emulation starts as expected.
    Can somebody tell, what´s wrong with Arexx Script?

Cheers

[ Editiert durch Elowan 31.08.2022 - 14:46 ]
  • »31.08.22 - 11:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    nice, this helps with Naming conventions ;)

Now - any ideas, why the script does not work?
    This is the Arexx-script from the E-UAE 1.0. Jit install - I think some people may use this and got it running?!

I really would like to start my Emulation, without having to start rhLaunch first, then choose config, then hit start. Should be possible to do this with a one-click solution, I believe?
  • »31.08.22 - 12:30
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    I don't know if you copy and pasted, but this seems not correct
    uaedir = "Work:E-UAE:1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae"
    uaepath = "Work:E-UAE:1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae"
    uaeconfig = "Work:E-UAE:1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae/Conf/A1200-020-688881HR.conf"

kickstart_rom_file="Work:E-UAE:1.0.0.0-JIT/e-uae/Roms/kick.rom"

Shouldn't the second ":" in the paths be "/"?

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 31.08.2022 - 14:24 ]
  • »31.08.22 - 12:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    sorry, it must be "/" instead of ":" - I mistyped it in my posting
  • »31.08.22 - 13:44
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    What is the difference between "mossys:" and "sys:libs" ?? Where can I find this folders?

I got just plain standard install of MorphOS

I got System:Libs and System:MorphOS:Libs

In the first one, I got my copied librarys (and some SDL librarays from a UAE-SDL installation)
    , in the 2nd one are many other files (already existing rexx.libs)

So I think, I need to rename the existing ones and that´s it?

Just to make it clear:

The MOSSYS: assign points to the SYS:MorphOS/ directory, and SYS: points to the system boot partition, which is by default named as System:, so MOSSYS: usually points to the System:MorphOS/ directory :)

The whole SYS:MorphOS directory is replaced in an operating system upgrade, so any modifications you make there is lost at the upgrade, so better not to copy or modify anything there. But with one exception, the installer knows to keep the MOSSYS:Libs/rexxsyslib.library_disabled file named like that and doesn't bring a new dummy rexxsyslib.library file into the system.

If you copy a 68k version of the rexxsyslib.library file into the SYS:Libs/ directory, it will be loaded from there if the original dummy file is renamed as _disabled in the MOSSYS:. Files in the SYS:Libs/ are preserved in a system upgrade, so everything works as supposed after the upgrade. If you'd have copied the library into MOSSYS:Libs/, it would be needed to copy it again after each upgrade.
  • »31.08.22 - 15:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:

Just to make it clear:

The MOSSYS: assign points to the SYS:MorphOS/ directory, and SYS: points to the system boot partition, which is by default named as System:, so MOSSYS: usually points to the System:MorphOS/ directory :)

The whole SYS:MorphOS directory is replaced in an operating system upgrade, so any modifications you make there is lost at the upgrade, so better not to copy or modify anything there. But with one exception, the installer knows to keep the MOSSYS:Libs/rexxsyslib.library_disabled file named like that and doesn't bring a new dummy rexxsyslib.library file into the system.

If you copy a 68k version of the rexxsyslib.library file into the SYS:Libs/ directory, it will be loaded from there if the original dummy file is renamed as _disabled in the MOSSYS:. Files in the SYS:Libs/ are preserved in a system upgrade, so everything works as supposed after the upgrade. If you'd have copied the library into MOSSYS:Libs/, it would be needed to copy it again after each upgrade.

Very good explained - thank you so much :)
  • »31.08.22 - 15:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Any clues on the script?
  • »31.08.22 - 16:48
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    Any clues on the script?

I just checked the script. If I deliberately make an error in uaedir, the script ends with
    an error: 13 *_* pragma('D', uaedir)
    ++++ Command returned 10

So I suggest you doublecheck what you entered in uaedir etc.
    Copy the uaedir path and paste it in a shell in combination with the cd command. (for example)
    If that goes wrong, you made a mistake in the uaedir path.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 31.08.2022 - 19:21 ]
  • »31.08.22 - 18:15
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    For the record, I noticed an error in you uaedir path.
    If uae is in the drawer Work:e-uae then uaedir = "Work:e-uae" (so without the executeable file) and uaepath = "Work:e-uae/e-uae"
  • »31.08.22 - 18:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    By the way you can always use Snoopium.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.09.22 - 15:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

Mozzerfan schrieb:
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    Any clues on the script?

I just checked the script. If I deliberately make an error in uaedir, the script ends with
    an error: 13 *_* pragma('D', uaedir)
    ++++ Command returned 10

So I suggest you doublecheck what you entered in uaedir etc.
    Copy the uaedir path and paste it in a shell in combination with the cd command. (for example)
    If that goes wrong, you made a mistake in the uaedir path.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 31.08.2022 - 19:21 ]

Ahhh, man !
    It was just too late, I made mistakes in the path´s (one "/e-uae" was too much) ;)
    Now the scripts runs as expected.

Ok - so there is one more thing: to run this script, I do a right-click on the uaeexe.rexx script and choose "Execute with Rx..." to start.

Question: is there a way to run the script with double-click? Would be cool :)

Thanks to all so far - looks like the MorphOS community is allive and very willing to help-

Cheers!
  • »01.09.22 - 19:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is there a way to run the script with double-click?

You can go to "Ambient Settings" > "Mime" to edit the MIME type handling for .rexx files (which is what gives you the right-click execute option currently) to execute with Rx upon double-click, or you can create a project icon for the .rexx file and enter Rx as default tool. There may be more ways.
  • »01.09.22 - 20:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:

Cheers!

This is possible for adf files. In mimesettings for x-adf choose "Doubleclick" for event type.
    For whdload files it isn't possible, because the mime settings are global, so they are for every file.
    You may have noticed the script shows up in the menu with all files.
    So it's not possible this way to set doubleclick as your default action.
    Maybe it would be possible if you rename the whdload file to a filename with for example whd as filestype.
    So for example aladdin.whd. And then define the correct mime settings for the filetype whd.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 01.09.2022 - 21:39 ]
  • »01.09.22 - 20:38
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

You can go to "Ambient Settings" > "Mime" to edit the MIME type handling for .rexx files (which is what gives you the right-click execute option currently) to execute with Rx upon double-click, or you can create a project icon for the .rexx file and enter Rx as default tool. There may be more ways.

Yeah, if you don't want to change the behaviour for _all_ arexx files, but just for this single file, just create an icon and set the default tool.

To create an icon, open the Icon Information window for the script, change the Type to Project, enter Rx as the default tool, and when clicking the Save button it creates a new "graphicless" icon. So, Ambient makes this easy and no need to copy/create actual icon files around like on Amiga...
  • »02.09.22 - 07:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

Mozzerfan wrote:
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:

Cheers!

This is possible for adf files. In mimesettings for x-adf choose "Doubleclick" for event type.
    For whdload files it isn't possible, because the mime settings are global, so they are for every file.
    You may have noticed the script shows up in the menu with all files.
    So it's not possible this way to set doubleclick as your default action.
    Maybe it would be possible if you rename the whdload file to a filename with for example whd as filestype.
    So for example aladdin.whd. And then define the correct mime settings for the filetype whd.

Just had a quick look:
    I renamed the whdloadfile to aladdin.whd
    I removed the x-morphos-globalaction-file
    and saved the following file to x-amigaos-whdload in sys:prefs/ambient/filetypes/application

AMTD
    Type application/x-amigaos-whdload
    Name WHDLoad file
    Priority 10
    Match
    PatternHint #?.whd
    Name #?.whd
    End
    Action
    Name Run in UAE WHDLOAD
    Event DoubleClick
    Command AMIGADOS run >nil: c:rx system:prefs/ambient/scripts/uaeexe.rexx "%sp"
    End
    End

Now the whdloadfile can be doubleclicked and the script is automatically executed.

Edit: don't know why, but doubleclick suddely doesn't work anymore. It is set as the default action, so...
    Anyway, it should work and it did.

Edit2: For some strange reason, the double click event picks the default tool (whdload) in stead of the rexx script.
    So I guess a doubleclick isn't possible with whdload files.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 02.09.2022 - 14:40 ]
  • »02.09.22 - 11:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Yeah, if you don't want to change the behaviour for _all_ arexx files, but just for this single file, just create an icon and set the default tool.

To create an icon, open the Icon Information window for the script, change the Type to Project, enter Rx as the default tool, and when clicking the Save button it creates a new "graphicless" icon. So, Ambient makes this easy and no need to copy/create actual icon files around like on Amiga...

When I do this, UAE starts up and load my WB 3.2 like expected- but when it´s loaded, UAE closed and I get an empty "Rx Output" Window.

edit: Ah, UAE runs on another screen, it seems. Did not know it would do this. Btw, is there a way to do a screen-drag in MorphOS or is directly switching only option?

[ Editiert durch Elowan 03.09.2022 - 14:12 ]
  • »03.09.22 - 13:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    There isn't screen dragging functionality by default, but the Dragon commodity implemented this... although I haven't tried it in ages if it still works or not.

Well, I just tried it and it still works!
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »06.09.22 - 18:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    SOLVED
  • »15.09.22 - 16:37