X5000 with P5040 CPU?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Apparently there are a few of these in the wild. I've seen posts on Amiga sites from owners. Also, apparently support for them is already over. In general, is it fair to say that Aeon is done with the X5000 in general? No one seems to think that there will be any more made, limiting availability to the stock on hand at the resellers.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.08.22 - 15:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Only Aeonkit can answer that. They suddenly stopped selling anything and everything with a Hyperion connection. Ask them.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.08.22 - 15:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I like my X5000 and hope that they will stay available for Amiga fans that don’t mind paying for a higher end Amiga. It’s also one of the few ways to run MorphOS on a newer system.

[ Edited by discreetfx 09.08.2022 - 10:17 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »09.08.22 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Only Aeonkit can answer that. They suddenly stopped selling anything and everything with a Hyperion connection. Ask them.

That doesn't bode well for Tabor. Does anyone have any idea what Aeon's game plan for the future is?
    Or for those who shall not be mentioned (um...Hyperion).

I've been out of touch for awhile and missed whatever conclusions all the litigation came to.
  • »09.08.22 - 16:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    The legal entanglements between Hyperion and the current incarnation of Amiga Inc are still ongoing as far as I know.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »09.08.22 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > That doesn't bode well for Tabor.

Trevor's blog article from two weeks ago has some info on that:

"The world of electronics supply is highly volatile at the moment with component shortage and prices sky-rocketing. Other components are either very scarce or not available. Against this backdrop of rising prices and continuing supply uncertainty we agreed with ACube to double the initial production order in an attempt to secure a lower price per unit. Enrico's latest news is the factory that made the prototype A1222+ boards is tied up until next year and another company he approached quoted double the original price. Enrico is waiting for quotes from two other manufacturers but warned lead times are long."

(Btw, if you read further below in the article, don't get confused by Trevor quoting Ron van Herk that the "VideoMicrowave" exhibited at show events in 2002/2003 contained a Pegasos II board. Actually, it contained the predecessor board. The Pegasos II was yet to be developed at that point in time).
  • »09.08.22 - 19:16
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Totally messed up. Makes me glad the MorphOS developers decided to eventually switch ISAs.
    the price of PPC processors is rediculous considering their limitations.
  • »10.08.22 - 00:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

That doesn't bode well for Tabor.

The Tabor? :lol: The definition of insanity…

Quote:

Does anyone have any idea what Aeon's game plan for the future is?

Trevor claims the ownership of OS4’s kernel and has developers working on it and A-Eon (or Amigakit or whatever) is developing their “Enhancer” software package that replaces OS4 components one by one, so… ;-)

Quote:

Makes me glad the MorphOS developers decided to eventually switch ISAs.

Well, that remains to be seen. And also what it will mean in practice if it ever happens…

Quote:

the price of PPC processors is rediculous considering their limitations.

PPC? It’s dead, Jim…
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »10.08.22 - 01:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the price of PPC processors is rediculous considering their limitations.

The reported supply and price issues are a reality for electronic parts in general, not just processors, or even just Power(PC) processors (see also the related problems of the PowerPC notebook project).
    An additional issue for A-Eon might be NXP's March 2021 notification on last buy for P1022 and P5040 in September 2021, with last delivery in December 2023:

https://www.nxp.com/pcn/202102034DN
    https://www.nxp.com/pcn/202102034DNU01

We know A-Eon had secured one thousand P1022 CPUs years ago, but what about the P5040?

(Btw, P5020 was already last buy in March 2020 and last delivery in September 2020.)

Of course, as was the case with the PA6T, chip brokers usually stock quantities of discontinued parts for much longer time (but often at even higher prices).
  • »10.08.22 - 01:35
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I wasn't aware that so many processors had been eol'd. Are any new PPC processors in the pipeline?
  • »16.08.22 - 20:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are any new PPC processors in the pipeline?

Considering that PPC was superseded by Power in 2006, the OpenPOWER Foundation thread is where this is being discussed :-)
  • »16.08.22 - 22:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> apparently support for them is already over. In general, is it fair to say that
    >> Aeon is done with the X5000 in general? No one seems to think that there will
    >> be any more made, limiting availability to the stock on hand at the resellers.

> Only Aeonkit can answer that. They suddenly stopped selling
    > anything and everything with a Hyperion connection. Ask them.

Statement by A-Eon's Trevor (5:21:40) given at Amiga 37:

"We're almost out of 5020s, so any future X5000s sold will be 5040s."

Seems like the X5000/40 won't be handled as a higher tier compared to the X5000/20, as it was announced originally, but actually as its successor.

Also stated at AmiWest 2022 by Matthew Leaman (27:01):

"We've got to the end of the P5020 boards now. We've almost exhausted our stock. I want to keep a couple of boards back, but for the last couple of months we've been shipping out to our distributors the P5040 itself. And that's out in the wild. You might have seen on some of the forums people very happy to receive P5040s and there're a lot of new happy owners of those out there. It's out and it's shipping and people are are very content with their purchases."

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 29.10.2022 - 22:35 ]
  • »17.10.22 - 18:12
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Seems like the X5000/40 won't be handled as a higher tier compared to the X5000/20, as it was announced originally, but actually as its successor.

Maybe CPU price has dropped out, but 4 quad has no significance on MOS and OS4, only on Linux.
    It was rumoured it will be presented at Amiga 37, but I havent noticed.

Trevor speech was classic, except his faith in new multicore kernel, but I am sure it will be some heavy compromise with some incompatibilities. He did not seem to claim AEON is building replacement OS, he claims you need to have OS4.

I remnember beta testers of 040 X5000 who tested it was slower then dual core G5 under linux.

A bit higher single cPU clock of 040 might boost some 10% speed, thats all.
    If price is same, Kudos, esp. under Linux, if its only more expensive x5000, it will distance users more.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »17.10.22 - 19:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Maybe CPU price has dropped out

Surely not. See comment #10.

> It was rumoured it will be presented at Amiga 37

Not just rumoured, but actually announced by the MorphOS Team and by AAA Technology* (A-Eon + AmigaKit + Amedia Computer), each with an X5000/40 running MorphOS at their respective booth.

> Trevor speech was classic

That's where he spoke of the X5000/40 being presented at the booth, btw.

> He did not seem to claim AEON is building replacement OS

Even more so, he was outright refuting this notion.

* AAA Technology is apparently not just some fantasy entity created for the Amiga 37 booth, but a SARL created in Luxembourg in late 2020 with a physical shop opened in May 2021. Own website not yet established**. It was already mentioned by Trevor Dickinson at AmiWest 2021 (57:40).

** Website meanwhile established under another URL: http://www.amigakit.fr/?lang=en

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 12.10.2023 - 01:55 ]
  • »17.10.22 - 19:48
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

* AAA Technology is apparently not just some fantasy entity created for the Amiga 37 booth, but a SARL created in Luxembourg in late 2020 with a physical shop opened in May 2021. Own website not yet established.

Thank you for informative update. Laurent took a bite to be their EU dealer? OK 040 might appear in his shop. I prefer him to UK Amikit, for kindness, expertise and human relations. I am not sure is this alliance right for him, but can understand Amiga dealers perspective.

AAA Tech - how yes no, we would say in Serbia :) Nice name that should Advamnce, but so are Hyperion and A-EON nice names. Nice deeds needed.

P.S. Is AEON planning to release 2nd batch of Prisma Megamix with SPDIF and CDDA header? :) Too bad we could not ask Trevor directly. Watched A37. 37th event and they dont have official stream and English translators. So many speakers incl Gunnar were pure German, that I jumped of joy when Awesome! Cool! Awesome! AmigaBill entered, or Trevor with his polite old school UK stylee.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »18.10.22 - 21:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Too bad we could not ask Trevor directly.

You can send him a PM and see if he replies ;-)

> Watched A37. 37th event

Please don't be silly. How could Amiga 37 be the 37th event? It is the 4th event in the series, after Amiga 30 in 2015, Amiga 32 in 2017 and Amiga 34 in 2019. Hint: The number is not a sequential counter. Subtract the number from the respective year and you will be enlightened about its meaning.
  • »19.10.22 - 00:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Trevor speech was classic, except his faith in new multicore kernel

From AmiWest 2022:

"a version of the kernel with multi-core support already exists. The operating system always runs on the first core, while other tasks are currently randomly assigned to one of the available cores - in later versions, a scheduler will of course always select the currently least utilized core. However, the multi-core variant of the kernel is still very prone to crashing and is difficult to debug. A demonstration of the multi-core kernel can be seen at A-EON's AmiWest booth, but Solie describes it as "not very exciting because it keeps crashing"."
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2022-10-00104-EN.html
  • »24.10.22 - 18:55
  • vox
    vox
    Thanks. I see 5040 x5k will be more expensive, as well as theat Libre beta starts (and it started in 2011 for 3.x version, I wonder what version it is). Even for OS4 users it remains mostly the same board, minus a bit higher clock if I remember 040 specs right.

Quote:

Dickinson has now received a video showing the current state of the LibreOffice port from the responsible programmer Hans-Jörg Frieden, which he will publish as part of his next blog entry. The AmigaOS 4 implementation has been "completely revised" again, the betatesting will start "soon".

So few more months, quartals, years until some buy-able release.

[ Edited by vox 25.10.2022 - 08:27 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »25.10.22 - 07:26