Partitioning a dual boot disk
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi,

Got a doubt with a dual boot disk for a Mac Mini.I'd like to make some changes, but MacOS can't deal with Morphos partitions.
    I have a first small partition to boot MorphOS, then a second small 4 GB partition HFS, then a third 40 GB Tiger partition HFS+, the an unknow 128 MB which I expected ahead...
    Then there was a Morphos partition which I deleted and Work: as well. I made another FFS partition at the end. Before I had some empty 20+ GB that I want to restore Sorbet Leopard.
    My idea is to delete the useless second 4 GB partition to install Morphos and create a partition for another MacOSX: Sorbet.

Morphos CD does not boot, it try I got grey screen. I selected it after pressing alt button...

Disk Utility can delete only the HFS partition, but can't deal with the rest.

So I'm stuck, but I would avoid Gparted, I'm not sure...

What about the 128 MB ??? Was it created for Tiger? What's happened if I delete it?

How is it to use FFS today? Is it still much slower than PFS3?

PS I tried a firewire CF reader and MorphOS can see it automatically. The CF is useful to make backup.
    PPS I was about to use a 160 GB PATA instead, but after installing Leopard it failed miserably. Cristal Disk gave me red flag on reallocated sector count. What I found weird was always telling me Power on Hours 0 which was impossible with Power On Counts 32. It was an almost new disk for real.
  • »02.08.22 - 12:35
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    cip060
    use disk utility by loading from tiger's cd and make as many partitions as you want !!

[ Edited by cip060 02.08.2022 - 15:18 ]
  • »02.08.22 - 13:17
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    working link ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.08.22 - 19:16
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

cip060 wrote:
    use disk utility by loading from tiger's cd and make as many partitions as you want !!

GParted worked but I had to use Ubuntu 20.04 from x86 cause Ubuntu 16.04 PPC had crashed after boot.
    I could resize Tiger and then boot successfully, but Disk Utility still crash.
    Before Disk Utility couldn't delete FFS o PFS3 partitions. Only GParted can.

I 'd like to clone my Tiger partition with Carbon Copy Cleaner or CCC or save in a way I can restore it, but I still don't understand it, too many options. I get I have to format my Compact Flash to HFS+ from FAT32.
  • »02.08.22 - 20:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > What about the 128 MB ??? Was it created for Tiger? What's happened if I delete it?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6496&forum=3&start=12

Edit: link corrected (thanks polluks)

I guess I should have 128MB partition ahead each partition created by MacOSX installation. I don't know what I did years ago to have 128MB only behind the OSX partition.
    I couldn't back up with CCC which crash as well as Disk Utility.
    Now I'm installing 10.5 from DVD. Hopefully...
  • »03.08.22 - 11:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    OSX 10.5 failed at the end of installation. A message say I need to prepare disk with Disk Utility, but you know that if disk is not organized and verified by Disk Utility, OSX installation can't even start. This is a mess.
  • »03.08.22 - 12:06
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    GParted says there a damage partition table whatsoever. GParted repaired, but Leopard installation at the end says I need to use Disk Utility. But it doesn't matter it doesn't work. I really don't know what's going on.

PS I had other two PATA disks which I had left for years inside a closet. After few hours both died. One still make a "beep beep" when I connect to a USB-PATA adaptor and any software can't check it anymore. I've never heard a disk beeping. I guess disks fail more for age than for use. And the other one looks going to fail soon.
  • »03.08.22 - 15:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    To be clear when I try to install Leopard I have a red question mark for each partition. If I select one it formatted, installation take almost one hour, then fail. I tried many times.
    Even I erase the whole disk creating only one partition I get red question mark.

If I should to change disk, in my case is it better an ide-msata adaptor or a ide-CF adaptor?
  • »03.08.22 - 18:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Before installation with only 1 partition made I typed from shell: fsck_hfs -r -d /dev/disk0s2
    and I got:

Using cacheBlockSize=32k cacheTotalBlock=1024
    Verifying volume when it is mounted with write access
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Cannot repair volume when it is mounted with write access.
    The volume Untitled could not be repaired.
    volume type is pure HFS+
    primary MDB is at block 0 0x00
    alternate MDB is at block 0 0x00
    primary VHB is at block 2 0x02
    alternate VHB is at block 155629662 0x946b85e
    sector size = 512 0x200
    Volume Object flags = 0x07
    total sectors for volume = 155629664 0x946b860
    total sectors for embedded volume = 0 0x00

Any idea?

[ Edited by Goodman 03.08.2022 - 23:19 ]
  • »03.08.22 - 21:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    I've found maybe... cause I'm not a Mac user I thought "old Mac" meant MacOS 9 computer... no it meant all Mac with PPC. Mac PPC can't boot from GUID disk! GUID is just for Mac Intel, Windows and GParted.

I didn't notice in Disk Utility there a button: Option... APM.
  • »03.08.22 - 21:39