Wipeout2097 cd tracks and dark textures
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Wipeout is always one of my favourite games beginning from first ps1 game release.
    On Amiga I played Wipeout2097 with my last classic, a4k+cybertormppc+cvisionppc many many years ago.
    Today under MorphOS it runs much better on a Pegasos2 and on a Macmini (silent upgrade version).

Anyway I have few questions to make it perfect.
    I wonder how to play intro correctly (I skip it due a totally black screen, tried in both 16/24 bit screens), how to play music (cd tracks present on disk but not played in game) and if is correct that in some race circuits textures are too dark and I can't see the borders causing me hit the walls.
    As last question I'd like to know if is correct to set 16bit screens or is better use 24bit ones under MorphOS.

Anyway great game, extremely smooth! You have to set max fps between 30-40 or it is insanely fast.
  • »15.05.22 - 00:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    ... how to play music (cd tracks present on disk but not played in game)
    Anyway great game, extremely smooth! You have to set max fps between 30-40 or it is insanely fast.

For wipeout2097 you need the morphos version of cdplayer.library.
    I use version 52.7 (cdplayer.library.elf)
    Obviously this needs the cdrom of wipeout 2097. I haven't found a way to play the music from hd.
  • »16.05.22 - 14:54
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Oh great! Play music issue just solved, thanks!
    With cd tracks enabled it's another game, still better :-D

..What about play intro issue? On OS4 intro works with 24bit screens on MOS I'm not able to enable it in any screen's depth/resolution.
    Anyway under MOS Wipeout2097 game it's nearly perfect, plays surely better than OS4 at this moment.
    Also joypads are better supported.
  • »16.05.22 - 19:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    ...and if is correct that in some race circuits textures are too dark and I can't see the borders causing me hit the walls.

You can change the color brightness of the game with the F8 key. Just keep pressing F8 during the race until you're satisfied with the brightness level.

Sadly I don't know how to play the intro either.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 17.05.2022 - 14:22 ]
  • »17.05.22 - 10:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    AFAIR, the intro requires a specific 15bit pixel format.

[ Edited by Henes 17.05.2022 - 16:35 ]
  • »17.05.22 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Sadly I tried 15 bit screens on different resolutions nothing to do (MOS 3.17)

Anyway pressing F1/F10 keys I was able to to set different Gamma curve, Max drawing distance, fog/sky/line trails effects.. game is very funny and fast (fog does not work).

I was trying to use an old PS2 gamepad via different USB adaptors, some buttons aren't recognized or are mapped in a not usual different way.
    How to remap some buttons under MOS? I noticed something useful inside USB preferences but it's not very intuitive.. Is there some external program I can download to remap gamepads?
  • »20.05.22 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    In Window mode intro is ok but choosing screens (any depth/resolution) it stops working.

..how to remap gamepad buttons? Is there any guide or 3rd party app?
  • »22.05.22 - 06:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    If you can get FPSE to work, you could try running the Playstation version. It's limited to 320x240 and lacks perspective mapping though.
  • »23.05.22 - 18:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    If you can get FPSE to work, you could try running the Playstation version. It's limited to 320x240 and lacks perspective mapping though.

This actually works quite well. I used that on Efika a while ago utilizing my PSX dumps.
  • »23.05.22 - 19:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    Sadly I tried 15 bit screens on different resolutions nothing to do (MOS 3.17)

Anyway pressing F1/F10 keys I was able to to set different Gamma curve, Max drawing distance, fog/sky/line trails effects.. game is very funny and fast (fog does not work).

I was trying to use an old PS2 gamepad via different USB adaptors, some buttons aren't recognized or are mapped in a not usual different way.
    How to remap some buttons under MOS? I noticed something useful inside USB preferences but it's not very intuitive.. Is there some external program I can download to remap gamepads?

As far as I remember, WO2097 on Amiga/MorphOS uses lowlevel.library, so unless you can find a tool for that, the buttons can't be reconfigured.
  • »28.05.22 - 21:05