Powerbook G4 Titanium 667 maybe not supported?
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Good morning brain trust, I was wondering if anyone has tried installing MOS on the Powerbook Ti 667mhz w/ATI Mobility Radeon ? Booting from CD produces the white screen. I've seen that issue before on a PM G5, it was related to the CD-ROM drive, I've had to switch from SATA to IDE (or the other way around, I don't remember now).

But more importantly, is is worth installing on a 667MHz machine or is that too slow now? I use the built-in UAE to run legacy apps and games, play music and dabble with paint apps (no internet browsing, no videos).

I will try booting from USB, but if you can tell me it's not worth it, I'd really appreciate that.
    Software engineer and systems architect
    4 x PowerMac G5 (main), 3 x iMac G5, Mac Mini, PowerBook G4 (w/o MorphOS)
  • »24.02.21 - 23:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    "But more importantly, is is worth installing on a 667MHz machine or is that too slow now? I use the built-in UAE to run legacy apps and games, play music and dabble with paint apps (no internet browsing, no videos)."

If you avoid web browsing or heavy sites (which are a pain on other, much faster Macs anyway), it should be ok. H264 in 360p should also be ok. The slowest Mac I was using MorphOS on was a 400 MHz Powermac G4, and the experience was quite okay. UAE is ok for ECS games, heavier stuff like AGA could be a problem.

But I can't tell you, if your Titanium Powerbook is supported by MorphOS, or if sound is supported.
  • »25.02.21 - 05:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > anyone has tried installing MOS on the Powerbook Ti 667mhz
    > w/ATI Mobility Radeon ?

This should be PowerBook3,3 or PowerBook3,4, whereas the oldest PowerBook model reported to work is PowerBook3,5 (without audio).

Discussion from 6 years ago on Titanium model support:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11060&forum=14&start=4

I'm not aware of any change in this regard.

> I use the built-in UAE

I don't think MorphOS contains any UAE.
  • »25.02.21 - 07:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

mac6six schrieb:
    Good morning brain trust, I was wondering if anyone has tried installing MOS on the Powerbook Ti 667mhz w/ATI Mobility Radeon ? Booting from CD produces the white screen. I've seen that issue before on a PM G5, it was related to the CD-ROM drive, I've had to switch from SATA to IDE (or the other way around, I don't remember now).

But more importantly, is is worth installing on a 667MHz machine or is that too slow now? I use the built-in UAE to run legacy apps and games, play music and dabble with paint apps (no internet browsing, no videos).

I will try booting from USB, but if you can tell me it's not worth it, I'd really appreciate that.

I once added some kind of experimental support for PowerBook 3,5 because I got a machine to toy around with it for a while. It never was fully supported, it had some issues with audio, I didn't really continue on it ... So probably a waste of time to try with an even older model there ...
  • »25.02.21 - 20:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > anyone has tried installing MOS on the Powerbook Ti 667mhz
    > w/ATI Mobility Radeon ?

This should be PowerBook3,3 or PowerBook3,4, whereas the oldest PowerBook model reported to work is PowerBook3,5 (without audio).

Discussion from 6 years ago on Titanium model support:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11060&forum=14&start=4

I'm not aware of any change in this regard.

> I use the built-in UAE

I don't think MorphOS contains any UAE.

Thank you. I guess I can use it as VNC terminal to my G5 tower. I meant the built-in 68k jit. And I'm sorry for not searching properly, I've used the search function on here but couldn't find anything relevant, I need to improve my google-fu.

[ Edited by mac6six 27.02.2021 - 23:19 ]
  • »27.02.21 - 16:18
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    I once added some kind of experimental support for PowerBook 3,5 because I got a machine to toy around with it for a while. It never was fully supported, it had some issues with audio, I didn't really continue on it ... So probably a waste of time to try with an even older model there ...

Thanks, makes sense.
  • »27.02.21 - 16:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Well, audio is not essential but some video output would be fine ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »27.02.21 - 21:43
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Well, audio is not essential but some video output would be fine ;-)

There is video output, a white screen. Some people don't appreciate abstract art.
  • »01.03.21 - 23:13