24bit screens on e-uae
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Recently I started using Korni's e-uae which forces 24bit screens.

I'd like to know if it actually has any visible effect on classic amiga games. I mean OCS/ECS/AGA games all have a nominal limit on the color pallette, right?

So, changing the emulation from 16bit to 24bit (on games, I repeat), does it have any effect on the end result (does it make it color crispier for example or does the black color looks deep black like the old effect on televisions compared to new ones, does it enchance the colors)?

I checked with Tiny Bobble and some swos games. I think that it actually might have an effect to some extent but then again I might be a placebo gamer so I 'd like to know what's the truth from a developers point of view :D
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »18.08.20 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    It doesn't force 24bit screen, it makes it default. In 16bit screenmodes gfx artifacts were appearing (only in lores modes afair).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »18.08.20 - 19:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Thanks for poping up :)

Didn't knew about the artifacts since I always used gfx_lores=no.

Anyway, does it enchance the visual of a said OCS/ECS/AGA game by making it at 24bit instead of 16bit despite the game's limited color pallete or not?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »18.08.20 - 23:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Although AGA has a 256 color palette depth, each entry can be a 24-bit definition. Adding to that, the fact that the Copper coprocessor can change palette entries mid-screen means there are more than 256 colors on screen typically. Only ECS can render to 12 bits or more correctly.

[ Edited by Samurai_Crow 18.08.2020 - 21:28 ]
  • »19.08.20 - 03:27