Test of the new ibrowse 2.5.3
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello everyone,

I saw on amigaimpact as well as on the ibrowse site that a new version, 2.5.3, had just been released on June 10.

I told myself that I would try it well to see what it gives. I download it and then install it on my hard drive. Already there small problem, the archives or the installation directories unarchived in ram or elsewhere do not want to be erased, ambient indicates them to be always in use. Then I launch it and I load my link file, I click on links at random but alas it is a disaster. Problem with sites using css that ibrowse cannot handle and display correctly. Only obligation and aminet are displayed correctly. Let's see this disappointing result I stop the test there. I want to delete the created directory but once again ambient indicates to me that this one or parts are still in use. After a reboot I can delete ibrowse. But then the default disk and directory icons are no longer correct. They are by default. I opted to use a backup of my system that I have on an external hard drive and find my configuration. I could also have looked for what could have been changed or replaced without my wanting or wanting it.

Here, it was the account of my essay of the last ibrowse. If in turn you want to try it because you think you can do better than me so. But then good luck in advance ...

Brumiga
  • »14.06.20 - 16:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Being unable to delete is probably due to open library filelocks or assigns. MorphOS cannot delete them because they really are still in use.

That said, why exactly would you want to use IBrowse in 2020? I used to like it in its day, but it's more or less a simple html viewer, not a browser. Lack of CSS is a killer alone, and I'm sure the javascript parser hasn't advanced much from the late 90s.
  • »14.06.20 - 21:44
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Being unable to delete is probably due to open library filelocks or assigns. MorphOS cannot delete them because they really are still in use.

That said, why exactly would you want to use IBrowse in 2020? I used to like it in its day, but it's more or less a simple html viewer, not a browser. Lack of CSS is a killer alone, and I'm sure the javascript parser hasn't advanced much from the late 90s.

Actually there was a major rewrite on it to the extent he is charging for it. (There is a discount I think for upgrading)
    As I understand it there is no MorphOS native but the Classic Amiga version should work. CSS is there but I don't know how complete it is... Personally I'm waiting on this one, even for my old A1200. Let the kinks and bugs get checked and see what we have. MUI5.0 is having issues with it seems and it requires AmiSSL 4.6.
  • »14.06.20 - 23:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Furvert wrote:
    Actually there was a major rewrite on it

The changes in actual rendering and standard support in IBrowse have been minimal at best.
    Quote:

CSS is there

No it's not. Neither is HTML5, DOM or modern JavaScript. IBrowse 2.x won't have these according to IBrowse website.

[ Edited by Piru 15.06.2020 - 04:48 ]
  • »15.06.20 - 01:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As I understand it there is no MorphOS native

MorphOS-native javascript.library was re-added with v2.5.1.
  • »15.06.20 - 07:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Piru wrote: The changes in actual rendering and standard support in IBrowse have been minimal at best.

Quote:

Furvert: CSS is there

Quote:

Piru wrote: No it's not. Neither is HTML5, DOM or modern JavaScript. IBrowse 2.x won't have these according to IBrowse website.

Piru is correct, as usual, and it is a disappointing release overall for Classic Amiga users, but it does show that the browser is being supported by its core team, led by Oliver Roberts, to continue to develop, even at a limited pace (though I hope the progress improves), and my genuine hope is that IBrowse v3 does eventually get to see the light of day, with actually useable features for the modern Internet.

It's basically of little use as it is for modern web-browsing/interacting with websites as the features it needs, that Piru mentioned, are just not in the program currently. Having said that, I have paid for the upgrade to v2.5 to show some support to Oliver Roberts and the others involved with IBrowse to see if that required progress can be realised, but it will be a big ask, to see that happen.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »16.06.20 - 00:00