PowerBook faulty key
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Hello.
    I have a PowerBook g4 15" a1106. I used it daily but recently the "r" key doesnt work.

Dont know how to fix it bit I think I'll buy a second PowerBook to change the keyboard.

Do you know if there are more PowerBook models compatible with this keyboard.

Damn powerbooks...this is my second one is failing..
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »08.06.20 - 20:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    Hello.
    I have a PowerBook g4 15" a1106. I used it daily but recently the "r" key doesnt work.
    Dont know how to fix it

I'd just lift the keycap and check if some cleaning does the trick.

Quote:

Do you know if there are more PowerBook models compatible with this keyboard.

I believe it's Apple part number 922-6593 (A1106 and A1107 compatible).

EDIT: Let me check my "PowerBook spare parts box" to see if I have any of those...

[ Edited by koszer 09.06.2020 - 13:28 ]
  • »08.06.20 - 21:34
    tolkien
    Quote:

koszer escribió:

I'd just lift the keycap and check if some cleaning does the trick.

That was the first thing I did without luck.

Quote:

koszer escribió:
    I believe it's Apple part number 922-6593 (A1106 and A1107 compatible).

EDIT: Let me check my "PowerBook spare parts box" to see if I have any of those...

mmmm...my last PowerBook was a g4 17". Dont know if it is an a1107 but I think I still have it somewhere.
    Would be nice if it is compatible.

Thanks so much Koszer!
  • »09.06.20 - 16:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I guess I've found the A1106 topcase in my spare parts box. The keyboard has got Swedish layout (or so) and I'm not sure if it's 100% working, but it should be OK. I can send it to you just for the shipping costs if you fail to find a proper one yourself.
  • »09.06.20 - 17:31
    tolkien
    Will try to search my old PowerBook this weekend. If It doesn't work perhaps I have to accept your offer. I'll write here.

Thanks so muchos koszer.
  • »10.06.20 - 21:49
    KennyR
    If I remember right, the PPC PB has exactly the same key structure as most laptops: two metal wire squares as springs and a little rubber pad. If you're very careful you can take the key off, clean the circuit board contact with a bit of alcohol, and carefully clip it all back on.

Last time I tried to do this with a laptop, the key just broke off permanently, so beware. I hate laptop keyboards.
  • »10.06.20 - 22:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    The PowerBook keyboard has a multi-layered contact membrane that is folded back onto itself, as in its a double width membrane, but with contacts that extend past/through/onto the folded section and under/over the 2nd layer, if I remember correctly

It is an almost impossible task to repair the membrane contacts as they are silver coated lines that are laid onto the clear keyboard membranes like painted lines. The membranes are extremely thin, and look like 1 layer, but if you are extremely careful you can peel them apart, but the danger is of the 'silvering' being damaged, possibly irrepairably as you separate the layers. Sometimes warming the membranes can allow the adhesive holding the layers together to come apart more easily, and without being too destructive to the surface layers. Additionally, over time, and liquid spills onto/between the metal layers the silver paint gets contaminated, burnt-out, deteriorates or flakes off, stopping the keypress making its contact.

You can use windscreen re-silvering paint (usually for heated rear windscreens repair) to 'paint' in the gaps/lines/on and between the keypress contacts and get some keyboards working again, which I have done a few times successfully. However, it's a time consuming and unreliable task, but if you've no other means of repair, or want to try that first then give it a go.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.06.20 - 04:16