Real Time Clock losing time quickly
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hardware: Sam460ex 1150 MHz reported by MorhpOS as 1265 MHz.

1. Is the clock drifting due to the wrong cpu frequency reported, or is it just a bad battery? Something else?
    2. Synching clock against time server works as expected, but how often does it sync automatically (if at all)?
  • »11.05.20 - 23:26
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    2) I don't think it syncs frequently during the session at all, it just syncs when commanded. But you can add, for example, this kind of line to your S:user-network-startup file:
    Run >NIL: WaitX M=60 ALWAYS CMDLINE "C:SetClockNTP"

Replace the minute value for the M argument for what you feel is required. Or use H= for hours. Then it repeatedly syncs the clock in the background.
  • »12.05.20 - 06:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Change the battery anyway.
  • »12.05.20 - 12:59
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    2) I don't think it syncs frequently during the session at all, it just syncs when commanded. But you can add, for example, this kind of line to your S:user-network-startup file:
    Run >NIL: WaitX M=60 ALWAYS CMDLINE "C:SetClockNTP"

Replace the minute value for the M argument for what you feel is required. Or use H= for hours. Then it repeatedly syncs the clock in the background.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
  • »12.05.20 - 14:36
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    If you check the NTP server too many times per hour, they have been known to block you. Fair warning.
  • »12.05.20 - 20:54
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    If you check the NTP server too many times per hour, they have been known to block you. Fair warning.

Good point. Once per hour is hopefully okay, and it's not like I keep the machine running all around the clock.
  • »12.05.20 - 21:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    The default time servers are AFAIR pooled, so you probably get a random one at anytime. There are also three different pools build in and you can specify a server if needed.

But right there is no use to abuse their free service anyway.

If our systems are on for about 12 hours a day the time diff should only be a few seconds and only on the condition of having not a single reboot.
  • »12.05.20 - 21:24