Powerbook dead?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hello,

This morning my PB 5,8 did not turn on. It has happened to me before some times but after letting it charge for like half an hour, it then started normally. But not this time. Tried with another battery but no luck. Both batteries, an original Apple and a replacement one, where failing. MOS was unable to tell the charge remaining, but it could still be usable for an hour or so.

Tried just with the power adapter alone (no battery) but it doesn`t work either. I guess the batteries may be dead now and don`t let the PB turn on... or could it be my PB is dead?

I have a working PB 5,2 with a failing battery also. Would it be ok to use its battery with the 5,8 or could that damage the battery more, or worse, the PB 5,8 if it still is recoverable?
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.02.19 - 15:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I'd check if the internal PRAM battery is OK.
  • »28.02.19 - 15:15
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I once got sudden problems on turning on my PB 5,9, and although I don't remember details that well anymore, I think it also didn't start with or without battery anymore (these computers should run without battery just fine too).

Resetting PMU (Power Management Unit) did help in my case and the issue never came back after that, it's been running fine for years now after the incident with the same battery.

So I'd advice to google how to reset the PMU on your particular model and try that, it was an easy operation.

[ Edited by jPV 28.02.2019 - 16:33 ]
  • »28.02.19 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    If PB runs from a charged battery, but does not charge it - It might be a broken power module. I assume that you have a 65W Apple PSU, 45W ones or non Apple ones can be problematic esp. w/o the battery. If your PB5,2 boots with its battery, then PB5,8 should boot with it as well.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »28.02.19 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Unfortunately, it's probably dead. The power input circuitry of laptops is what kills most of them, whether Apple or otherwise. I have an old laptop which to all appearances looks totally dead, but will on very rare occasions switch on for no apparent reason... only to not turn on again if shut down. I can't even imagine what's gone wrong electronically there.

It tends to happen when the batteries are old and failing, so it may be something to do with damage trying to charge dead batteries. I always advise removing failing batteries ASAP.
  • »28.02.19 - 19:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @koszer
    If the internal PRAM battery is not OK, then date and time will reset after every turn off?

@jPV
    Not luck with the reset. That worked with my PB 5,2 some time ago, but not now with the 5,8.

@Korni
    Yes, I have an Apple 65W PSU. I`ll try swapping batteries.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.02.19 - 19:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I once got sudden problems on turning on my PB 5,9, and although I don't remember details that well anymore, I think it also didn't start with or without battery anymore (these computers should run without battery just fine too)...

My PB 5,2 turns on without battery but my 5,8 doesn`t.

Also, I`ve noticed that the light is always orange. Should be green for a couple of seconds while detecting the charge and then orange if not fully charged. Also, with no battery, it is always orange.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.02.19 - 20:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    ...It tends to happen when the batteries are old and failing, so it may be something to do with damage trying to charge dead batteries. I always advise removing failing batteries ASAP.

I was planning on buying a replacement battery but now... I should buyi another Powerbook.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.02.19 - 20:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    ...It tends to happen when the batteries are old and failing, so it may be something to do with damage trying to charge dead batteries. I always advise removing failing batteries ASAP.

I was planning on buying a replacement battery but now... I should buyi another Powerbook.

Update: charging the battery in the PB5,2 and then using it in the PB 5,8 works! So something is wrong with the later.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.02.19 - 20:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Update: charging the battery in the PB5,2 and then using it in the PB 5,8 works! So something is wrong with the later.

So it only runs off battery but can't run off mains or charge batteries any more?
  • »01.03.19 - 19:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    So something is wrong with the later.

It's a power module board, relatively easy to replace.
  • »01.03.19 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    So it only runs off battery but can't run off mains or charge batteries any more?

Yes, that is the case.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.03.19 - 20:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

Korni wrote:

Is that a DC-in and Soundcard board? It is mentioned in some searches I made looking about my problem. I'll see if I can get the part and maybe a PRAM battery while I'm on it.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.03.19 - 20:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Quote:

Korni wrote:

Is that a DC-in and Soundcard board? It is mentioned in some searches I made looking about my problem. I'll see if I can get the part and maybe a PRAM battery while I'm on it.

Yes.
  • »01.03.19 - 21:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

Korni wrote:

Replaced! PB5,8 now boots with the power supply and also charges the replacement battery I bought.

Thank you all for the help.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »30.07.19 - 15:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    So, did you replace the DC-In-Board and fix your faulty machine or just buy a new/replacement A1138 (PwrBk 5,8)?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »31.07.19 - 00:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    So, did you replace the DC-In-Board and fix your faulty machine or just buy a new/replacement A1138 (PwrBk 5,8)?

Replaced the DC-In. And the pcmcia bay which had the eject button broken, and the HDD with a bigger one, and the cmos battery. All parts from another working PB5,8 I found very cheap (46€ including shipping). Instead of transfering the MOS license, I opted for using it as spare parts, because it was externally very damaged compare to mine. And the screen has "spots" in it. So I still have some more spare parts :)
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »31.07.19 - 07:09