Wazp3D and 3D graphic cards
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello everyone,

looking at the video cards supported by MorphOS 3.11, I realize that some do not support Warp3D (Wazp3D) as the particular Radeon 9800XT that interests me for my PowerMac G5.

Where does it come from?

Has Wazp3D become obsolete?

The MorphOS 3.11 3D drivers do not handle these cards and so Warp3D does not work?

It will be ok with MorphOS 3.12 with new 3D drivers ?

Thank you for your lanterns ;-)

[ Edité par Papiosaur 25.05.2019 - 16:04 ]
  • »25.05.19 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Warp3D and Wazp3D aren't the same.

Warp3D is a driver/API for hardware accelerated 3D graphics and it originated from classic Amiga, and it requires that the used 3D graphics hardware is supported by it. It's obsolete on MorphOS and all new software is using TinyGL instead. Warp3D compatibility has been for old Amiga software and it seems that MorphOS team hasn't seen it worth updating for newer cards anymore.

Wazp3D, on the other hand, is a software implementation of Warp3D and it does not require 3D hardware support. So, Wazp3D should work on any card, even if cards don't have real 3D acceleration. To my understanding, Wazp3D should work on all possible cards on MorphOS, and it kind of emulates the hardware acceleration provided by Warp3D. It's probably slower and might not look as pretty as real 3D acceleration, but with it you'd be able to run Warp3D software on systems/cards without the real Warp3D support.
  • »25.05.19 - 17:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where does it come from?

It comes from the fact that before MorphOS 3.0, on Radeon R200 both Warp3D/Goa3D API and TinyGL API were going through Rave3D, which was never implemented for Radeon R300 and newer. TinyGL instead got implemented directly in MorphOS 3.0 for R200 and in MorphOS 3.2 for R300, without going through Rave3D. So the discontinuation of Warp3D/Goa3D support was really only an unfortunate side effect of the Rave3D deprecation. You can read up on the details in that thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9256&forum=49

> Has Wazp3D become obsolete?

It's Rave3D that became obsolete with MorphOS 3.0 (except for running Warp3D software on R200 and older), which unfortunately meant no Warp3D/Goa3D compatibility for R300 in MorphOS 3.2.

> The MorphOS 3.11 3D drivers do not handle these cards and so Warp3D does not work?

The MorphOS 3.11 TinyGL 3D drivers do handle these cards and in fact MorphOS has done so starting with MorphOS 3.2, but there was never Rave3D for these cards, and thus no Warp3D/Goa3D.

> It will be ok with MorphOS 3.12 with new 3D drivers ?

I doubt that Rave3D will ever be implemented for anything beyond R200.
  • »25.05.19 - 22:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Warp3D [...] requires that the used 3D graphics hardware is supported by it. [...]
    > seems that MorphOS team hasn't seen it worth updating for newer cards anymore.

True for "it" == Rave3D :-)

> Wazp3D [...] is a software implementation of Warp3D [...]. [...] Wazp3D [...]
    > kind of emulates the hardware acceleration provided by Warp3D. It's probably
    > slower and might not look as pretty as real 3D acceleration

Wazp3D got a TinyGL renderer some years ago :-)
  • »25.05.19 - 23:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I try [...] to launch Cow3D [...] with Radeon 9600 and doesn't work...

Install Wazp3D and use it with TinyGL renderer.
  • »25.05.19 - 23:22