Think about it!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    (this is a re-post)
    i am not sure is genesi has thought of this so here we go.
    if MorphOS gets released on a mac....i will get a mac Not a pegasos. i don't say that to be mean, but y on earth would you get a pegasos when u could get a mac? what are the advantages? i think a lot of people would think in this same way i do too. a mac can run OSX nativly.......and run linux and everyhting else. whats the advantage of a pegasos. i could have morphos on a laptop on my ibook now.......yes it will get more developers but u are not gona sell nearly as many pegasos boards.......if any at that point....at least in my opinion
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »10.03.04 - 05:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Honestly I've had pretty much the same thoughts...the only thing Pegasos may have on Mac hardware is price.

It would be a gamble to release MOS on a mac...not least because they suddenly pop up on Apple's radar (if they haven't already with MOL rumblings.)

BBRV latest musings on strategy speak of licensing...which, if successful, provides an income even if they don't manufacture the hardware themselves but *again* a risk position leaving the door wide open for some Taiwan/China OEM to rape the Pegasos on manufacturing costs (assuming anyone ever finds a volume market for PPC boards.)

Keep the disucssion going...

Steve
  • »10.03.04 - 06:38
    Golem
    My impression is that there wont be a standalone version of MorphOS for Mac hardware anytime soon.

There was some talk about a limited version for Gladiateur IIRC, but that's just to get the game running on Macs.

I wouldn't put off my purchase of a Pegasos waiting for this to happen ;-)
  • »10.03.04 - 06:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Druideck
    The more PPC's out there, the bigger the whole
    market gets for it and less x86 and Windows,YAAA!
  • »10.03.04 - 06:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    yes i agree with you completly JKD ....anyone else?
  • »10.03.04 - 06:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    Quote:

The more PPC's out there, the bigger the whole market gets for it and less x86 and Windows,YAAA!

not exactly true....see the PPC market is small....what will happen is the big fish will eat the small fish.......there is not enough demand for 2 ppc companies........if morphos/pegasos had a much bigger user base and had some senority in the market things might be diferent.....this will not make apple happy....i am sure they will also try to do somehting to keep MorphOS off there computers.....
  • »10.03.04 - 06:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
  • »10.03.04 - 07:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Druideck
    Yes, it will be sad to see Mac go,:) but
    a proprietory system never seems to really
    catch on, did Mac not fall to open architecture
    once already with Wintel? Pegasos runs
    more flavours of linux and other OS's already.
  • »10.03.04 - 07:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.03.04 - 09:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »10.03.04 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    bringing this one back
  • »10.03.04 - 20:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Personally I thought their best hope was the set-top box idea. If they can manufacture small units running some OS...maybe Linux...maybe MOS with a nice media layer/architecture, then they just might be in with a chance to find a partner to manufacture in volume and thus support further development.

The market mor HDTV media players and the like seems to be in the $200 to $299 range right now. The competition largely being Taiwanese.

The market for DVR..think next generation Tivo (with installed HDD and DVD burning capability) seems to be from $300 up to $599..depending on installed hardware. The competition here is huge..Phillips, Sony et al.

A set-top box is 'not a computer' but a manufacturing contract for 250,000 boxes would sure enable the cashflow to support development of one...
  • »10.03.04 - 20:58
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    If they can sell morphos on the mac there not worried about peg sales. AS software is 100% markup. If they can sell morph os for 150 dollars to mac customers. Trust me they coudl care less about the hardware. THere is much more money is selling the os then there ever is in the hardware. Thats why microcrap is so rich .
    Also keep in mind currently peg is selling more systems then they can produce with software you dont have that problem. Plus your getting your name out there. Once they have morph os on there desktop a year or two down the road if they love it they will want to buy a peg4 or 5 or what ever it is then. So no not only did they sell the os and make money, but from that money have the money to produce better machines and for less money that the people who bought morph for there computer will now want to buy and will be available to buy.

Also keep in mind it was mention that they are planning on selling the pegasasus hardware to servers. If that plan works it will also drive up things.

Trust me when I tell you there market plan is sound.

However I agree with the tvtop idea aswell infact in the yahoo news yesterday there is a company paying big bucks look for a good tv top idea.
  • »10.03.04 - 21:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I would prefer to see native MacOSX in Peg than MOS in Mac.
    MorphOS is free, Peg's not.Money is important for the R&D.
    So I thing bplan/genesi should focus to their hardware than to their OS for now.
    Pegs are running native Linux, so some Wintel antifans can join the LinuxPPC group.
    Now bplan/genesi needs to bring some Mac fans too!
    About the Wintel-fans forget it..we need some kicking-ass exclusive games to bring them to MOS, because as the most people know "Wintel" is for gamers.
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »10.03.04 - 21:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i am a wintell person (kinda) and i am here :-D
  • »10.03.04 - 21:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    --

• »11.03.04 - 10:58
    Profile Visit Website