[CLOSED] A bounty to port OpenSCAD on MorphOS
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello everyone,

Don Bright, a contributor on the OpenSCAD project proposes to port it on MorphOS but it does not have the proper equipment.

Visit the official website of OpenSCAD.

I open a bounty so he can invest in a machine and MorphOS license.

You can send your donations to the address papiosaur2 [at] hotmail [dot] fr with the comment "OpenSCAD MorphOS".

The list of donors and the amount of the donation will be placed on this thread.

[ Edité par Papiosaur 28.05.2014 - 19:11 ]
  • »24.05.14 - 21:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    A native port would be great, but you can also do the same in OWB in coffeescad
    that is a browser/javascript version of Openscad

http://coffeescad.net/

I've used it several times when I need a quick'n simple 3D model for my 3D printer

Its slowish in OWB , but maybe the work of Bigfoot might change that...

[ Edited by catohagen 25.05.2014 - 06:22 ]
  • »25.05.14 - 08:20
    Kronos
    Even with a JS-JIT running it in OWB will only give you a fraction of native speeds (even a hypothical 68k version would probraly run several times faster).

Which brings up the question what actually is to be ported in the scope of this bounty ? Just the comand-line "compiler" or also the previewing tool ? Does that previewing tool require features that are not present in the current 3D drivers ?

Also what is need to fullfill the bounty ? Someone sending a suitable PowerMac and 79Euro for the keyfile ?

It seems he is in the US, otherwise I might have offered some G4-QuickSilver.....

[ Edited by Kronos 25.05.2014 - 10:20 ]
  • »25.05.14 - 12:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I'm also a little worried that he'll get the stuff and then development drags on forever (like Timberwolf) or he will release something not quite finished (like Timberwolf) or nothing at all (like djnick and his cancelled OS skin he got a SAM 460 for as payment). Not that I don't trust him, but I don't know the guy so ...

How about he gives us a plan of what to release which we can agree upon, he buys the hardware and once he's done with the port we will give him the bounty?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »25.05.14 - 12:25
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Yasu

A PMAC-G4 + key is about 100Euro so the risc is rather limited compared to a full SAM460 system easily going north of 1000Euro.

Also a port of the command-line part might be relativly trivial involviing nothing but minor compiler and endian issues.

So yes a quick statement of what he needs in HW, what has to be provided by the SDK and what he is planning to deliver should be the 1st step.
  • »25.05.14 - 12:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Kronos

You got a point. The idea is not to be an ass, but rather that when people get paid in advance development tends to drag out for forever.

I will chip in just for the sake of it (even though I don't use CAD:s at all) if it really helps MorphOS. But I want to be sure we get what we pay for first.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »25.05.14 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    If I was still donating equipment I would do it, but I have cannibalized my last three G4s and the last G5 I purchased locks up after 25 minutes or so.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.05.14 - 14:36
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Don Bright, a contributor on the OpenSCAD project proposes to port it on MorphOS but it does not have the proper equipment.

Visit the official website of OpenSCAD.

I open a bounty so he can invest in a machine and MorphOS license.

You can send your donations to the address papiosaur2 [at] hotmail [dot] fr with the comment "OpenSCAD MorphOS".

The list of donors and the amount of the donation will be placed on this thread.

Whilst I'd welcome 3D CAD tools, and think MorphOS could excel in such an area (responsiveness, graphics), I think this is of limited use on its own.
    There is no modelling tool. DXFs can be imported, but without other CAD tools available, that doesn't add much value for MorphOS.
    It's also seems to be unsuitable for complex models (or assemblies).

Credit to yourself and Don Bright for the initiative. It would be nice to have in the toolbox, just not much use if it's the only tool.

If you know anyone who fancies porting FreeCAD alongside however... ;-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.05.14 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    I like the idea of giving skilled people what they need to support MorphOS. Other than OpenSCAD, what else might this person produce?
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »25.05.14 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Don Bright say me there is a problem with the bounty because OpenSCAD need Qt (GUI) and there is no Gt on MorphOS...

Somebody could port Qt on MorphOS ?

Another bounty for Qt on MorphOS ?

I close this bounty ;-(

[ Edité par Papiosaur 28.05.2014 - 19:08 ]
  • »28.05.14 - 19:55
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    I don't have a university / computer science background so, despite being able to do some basic things with the MorphOS sdk and MUI, I'm still clueless about the process and software required by programmers of other platforms to achieve something equivalent... Still trying to figure out if it makes sense that people come to the same impasse from Linux to MorphOS as I have with MorphOS to Linux or if it's just depressing...
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »28.05.14 - 22:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Somebody could port Qt on MorphOS ? Another bounty for Qt on MorphOS ?

Discussion about Qt for MorphOS there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9438&forum=12
  • »29.05.14 - 04:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Don Bright say me there is a problem with the bounty because OpenSCAD need Qt (GUI) and there is no Gt on MorphOS...

OpenSCAD doesn't really have a GUI, it's basically just a window with a text editor and render preview, something which can be easily done in MUI.

However this is probably not something someone who has never done any Amiga or MorphOS work before should start with.

- CISC
  • »29.05.14 - 09:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    omg for a second i read "OpenSACD" and thought... what ? some kind of SACD/DSD decoding for morphos ? neat ! :-/
  • »03.06.14 - 15:13