Wireless network cards on pegasos?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Hi,

I'm searching for a solution to make a network between a router , a windows machine and my PEG.

Is it possible to use Wireless network cards on pegasos?

serge
  • »16.01.04 - 12:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @serge

I don't see any problems using any kind of router, wireless or not, as they don't need drivers (at least the ethernet ones).

You just need to RTFM (Read The Funny Manual) once you buy it and follow the steps.

Most (if not all for recent models) now have a web-based configuration interface.

Once it's installed, you could then search on MorphZone to seek for information on how to correctly install samba so you can share drives, etc.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Fred
  • »18.01.04 - 01:06
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    I have a Elsa Lancom L-11 access point and several wlan-cards, but I don't have a powersupply for the access point :-(

I have no idea what kind of power supply i should get for it :/
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.01.04 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    You still need to have a driver for MOS for your wireless card, and the ability to setup the card for security (WEP, insfrastructure mode, etc).

This is "planned" for MorphOs but not yet released. So for the moment wireless networking is not possible with MorphOS.

HammerD
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »19.02.04 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Leon
    Yesterday, I have configured a Belkin Wireless DSL/Cable Router for using with my Pegasos. Of course not via a Wireless PCI card (that is plugged in my PC, but there is a DRIVER for it). I simply plugged an ethernet patch cable into the back of the router (has 4 such ports), this product also acts as a switch. All I did was configuring Miami (not even MiamiDX) and the router is being configured via a web page interface.

I am preparing a tutorial about how to share your cable/DSL connection to a Pegasos, so if you are interested, I may be quicker :))
    Proud owner of:
    Efika
    ABIT ATI 9200SE AGP 128MB
    40GB Samsung Hard Drive 5400rpm
    -----
    PowerMac 3.1 G4 350Mhz "Sawtooth" AGP
  • »19.02.04 - 18:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    antibike
    i have not tried it, but you should use something like
    this DWL-810.
    you only have to make sure that the webinterface or the
    telnet interface works with your browser or telnet client.
  • »19.02.04 - 18:31
    Spidey
    Hello Leon,

Ofcourse it works when you patch a cable from 10/100 Mbit ethernet port to the router.
    You're using the via_rhinepci.device to be able to use that Peggy-port :-)

But like HammerD said, if you want to use a wireless card you got to have a driver for it and the software to configure it to be able to connect to the network of the wireless router.

I've also got a wireless router. On this I've connected my PegII, A1200, 300 MHz pc and by wireless connection, the pc of my girlfriend.
    And with Samba I've got a nice little network going on with shares. Now to try the printer :-)

At this moment I'm waiting for a driver for the 1 Gbit port! ;-)

Looking forward for your tutorial.
    Always good to make tutorials :-)

Bye,

Spidey
  • »19.02.04 - 21:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    There are wireless bridges that can be used to hook you Peg upto a wireless network. Linksys has a few of these.

For example:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=432
    --Mithalas
  • »19.02.04 - 21:39
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Leon
    @Spidey

I have no problems with my network. I just have to setup the Samba though. I used to use Tango to browse the erm.. Network Neighborhood. Did you try it?

And, even if the Gigabit driver is ready, does your router support Gigabit ethernet? You may not be able to use its advantages that much...
    Proud owner of:
    Efika
    ABIT ATI 9200SE AGP 128MB
    40GB Samsung Hard Drive 5400rpm
    -----
    PowerMac 3.1 G4 350Mhz "Sawtooth" AGP
  • »20.02.04 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    Hi Leon,

Yes, I've got a network going on with all mentioned computers (previous post). With the pc's you can see the Peg and A1200 in Network Neighborhood. And with SMBClient I can see all shares of the pc's.
    Also installed Tango and that works, but at the moment it doesn't give me all connected computers in the network, only the Peg.
    If I manually type in the name of the computer it does show its shares, so the glitch doesn't matter for me :-)

Well, about the 1 Gbit port: I've heard from some people they get more speed from it browsing the internet. :-)
    But ofcourse you're completely right that it isn't possible to take full advantage of this speed.

Bye,

Spidey
  • »20.02.04 - 12:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Blaster
    Hi,

Cause Peg doesn't have any wireless driver ready yet, you must use an ethernet <---> wireless bridge that convert itself (that's why no driver needed) "ethernet streaming" into "wireless streaming" and reverse too.
    It's connected on the ethernet port.
    Of course, you need an access point to exchange data between.

Netgear WGE101 54Mbps Bridge

---
    Blaster
  • »20.02.04 - 16:30