PuhDerBear: Paula to AHI re-director for MorphOS?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    When OctaMed SoundStudio was first attempted on AOS 4.0 prereleases (before the Maestrix was written in closed-source AmigaE) they discovered that it required a CIA timer as well as Paula emulation. There was eventually a patch for that too called CIAgent but I think it was closed source as well.

edit

Since we know that the Maestrix is written in AmigaE as a commodity, it might be easier to patch the stack swapping code that this 68k binary contains. PPC needs a bigger stack than a 68k even when emulating 68k.

[ Edited by Samurai_Crow 17.08.2014 - 17:00 ]
  • »18.08.14 - 02:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:

Since we know that the Maestrix is written in AmigaE as a commodity, it might be easier to patch the stack swapping code that this 68k binary contains. PPC needs a bigger stack than a 68k even when emulating 68k.

In MorphOS PPC stack is automatically set to 32 kB which is the minimum.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »18.08.14 - 04:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    I would donate to a bounty to just have Octamed SS patched.
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »18.08.14 - 13:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Pete wrote:
    That's great news! Thank-you and I hope very much that it comes to fruition.

Unfortunatelly won't happen anytime soon. In the mean time why not to use EUAE with JIT ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.08.14 - 12:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

Pete wrote:
    That's great news! Thank-you and I hope very much that it comes to fruition.

Unfortunatelly won't happen anytime soon. In the mean time why not to use EUAE with JIT ;)

14 months later, we cooking with grease? ;-)
  • »09.10.15 - 23:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

Pete wrote:
    Hi to all,

@ MOS devs : PuhDerBear or something written to achieve the same goal for MOS is something I REALLY want more than anything else. I know that MOS is developed to be a current modern operating system but the backwards support for legacy Amiga applications is extremely important to me and no doubt most other MOS users. Can I please add my voice to the request for Paula redirection under MOS so that at least the audio applications banging the old hardware chipset can run under MOS.

I'm in talks with one of the MorphOS Team developer about bounty for that but don't hold your breath. Will keep you updated if anything comes up out of that.

Any news on this front?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.04.16 - 23:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Now ~6 months after this post I don't care anymore. Drop 100% of legacy and work on the NG solution. Time to leave legacy and PPC in the dust IMO. If we move to X86-64 we should get a more proper WinUAE port which is sufficient.
  • »01.05.16 - 15:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Now ~6 months after this post I don't care anymore. Drop 100% of legacy and work on the NG solution. Time to leave legacy and PPC in the dust IMO. If we move to X86-64 we should get a more proper WinUAE port which is sufficient.

I wonder if you remember the trouble we had just getting Ralph to support floppy, 8 bit screens, and WarpOS.

A Nallehpuh-like solution was given serious consideration but considered not worthwhile. The reasons I heard were:

- The system is not compatible without major changes (MorphOS doesn't ever support writing to memory without allocating it, whatever the reason, so there's nothing to trap)

- Most games that it would work for wouldn't run on MorphOS anyway, for other reasons

- Performance hit would be prohibitive even with hacks

- The existence of UAE, which was always the better option for running games

- It wasn't great even on Amithlon.
  • »01.05.16 - 19:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

IF the legacy software you are concerned with is 68K software.
    I honestly use very few of those packages.
    And while PPC software can be recompiled, rewrites will be necessary for anything relying on the original API.

Then again, I am really looking forward to the shift.
    Unless someone creates an e6500 based device, there isn't much to look forward to after the X5000.

And, again, my faith in our developers is unshakable.
    They are talented and make great choices when planning future developments.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.05.16 - 14:08