Roadshow Morphos update available
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @boot_wb
    thx :)

even if you have roadshow installed, you should try this installer and the option [s] and tune the settings, as
    roadshow default ones are set for really old days. I've gone from ~1MB/s wgetting a ubuntu iso with default roadshow settings, then after tweaking with my installer, same file is downloaded with ~4MB/s

maybe the tweak settings should be as a seperate tool..as the importance of setting these settings maybe gets lost since its mainly an installer...

[ Edited by catohagen 21.01.2013 - 23:18 ]
  • »21.01.13 - 22:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Had a few problems with the install script. Hopefully this will be constructive feeback :-)

- The reddish coloured text was very hard to read (I have a light grey background with black text), maybe better to stick to default text colours in shell.
    - When configuring internal tcp settings the 'q to continue setup' option should read 'c to continue setup'.
    - After running the configuration phase and saving settings the main menu still said that this was 'not done' (tried both 'y' and 'yes' when asked if I wanted to set and save these settings). Not sure if these saved or not.
    - When toggling between roadshow and netstack, a message flashed up 'rename failed returncode 20'. The text was no longer visible in shell when I scrolled back up... not sure why. After a reboot Netstack was disabled though.
    - Uninstallation removed wget from c: - not necessarily a Roadshow-specific file (may be others too, but this is the only one I noticed).

Using rexxsyslib.library (v36.23) as installed by Grunch, standard MorphOS 3.1 installation (plus updated Reggae, but that shouldn't affect anything) on SFS partition.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »21.01.13 - 23:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @boot_wb
    thx for the feedback :)

You should get the latest version, v1.2 that i posted in post #24
    as the 'q' to continue is already changed to 'c' and the included wget
    are renamed to wget68k before installation to c: and not overwrite
    existing morphos version already installed.

I agree about the colors, in orginal con colors with light grey background you cant see shit :) i'll should probably change that
  • »22.01.13 - 06:56
    boot_wb
    Hi Catohagen,

Ah, missed the wget renaming. Good catch! :-)

Above feedback was with the 1.2 version (just checked md5sum to be sure). The submenu for configuration still reads "q to continue setup" whilst it actually requires you to press 'c' (found through experimentation!).
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »22.01.13 - 09:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @boot_wb

ah, found the submenu typo, fixed it, also removed all the ansi coloring :)

about the other errors you got, i cant reproduce here, triggering stacks should work everytime, unless you have both stacks enabled but you would get logfile errors from either roadshow or netstack

this installer makes roadshow disabled (SYS:S/network-startup is renamed network-startup.off)

if you have done manual install and directly put the addnetinterface line into user-startup, then this installer will fail to disable roadshow, as i havent made any checks and scans to user-startup or startup-sequence, roadshow should be(best) started with the provided roadshow s:network-startup

tried putting his 'project' on github, finished installing git on the nas today, so everything should be upto date there, works pretty well

https://github.com/catohagen/morphos-roadshow-installer

should have the latest fixes, but you have to download as a zip:
    https://github.com/catohagen/morphos-roadshow-installer/archive/master.zip

[ Edited by catohagen 22.01.2013 - 11:20 ]
  • »22.01.13 - 10:18
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    Hmmn with your latest installer I just get a CON window pop-up for half a second then vanish now :/ Your earlier one worked but was unreadable due to the colors.
  • »22.01.13 - 14:28
    Jambalah
    There is an error in the Arexx script:

+++ Error 5 in line 690: Unmatched quote

Adding quotes in that line script works.

EDIT:
    Installed without problems and switched to Roadshow to test it.
    More news later ;-)

[ Edited by Jambalah 22.01.2013 - 17:15 ]
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »22.01.13 - 16:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @danwood

yes, sorry...there is an unmatched quote in line 690, i've fixed it at github so you can either redownload or just edit the script at line 690 and add a " and the end of that line.
  • »22.01.13 - 16:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A native version is possible ?

In case you're referring to the Roadshow binary: technically yes, legally no.

"contractual obligations prevent me from releasing a MorphOS version, even if I were able to make one. I can make and sell only the 68k version."
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=575959
  • »23.01.13 - 08:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Nothing prevents somebody to write a native *installer* for Roadshow.
    Whatever "native" means in this context... maybe not depending on rexxsyslib.library.
  • »23.01.13 - 09:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    @Papiosaur

native Roadshow , no thats not possible thanks to OS4 exclusive deal

native installer, i dont see any benefits from making an installer using the MorphOS c:installer (besides you get a gui) and i dont know if c:installer have functions for read/write lines external files or basic math...
  • »23.01.13 - 11:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i dont know if c:installer have functions for read/write lines external files
    > or basic math...

I'm sure it has. The Amiga (and MorphOS) Installer language is basically a minimal Lisp variant. Installer scripts adding assigns to user-startup (i.e. writing to file), checking for existing assigns within defined begin-end blocks (i.e. reading from file) or checking the target volume for sufficient free storage space (i.e. basic math) are rather common.
  • »23.01.13 - 11:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    updated some things in Roadshow installer

* added uninstall of induvidual stuff, instead of everything (made a submenu for uninstall)
    * added delay after a operation is executed, gives you visual feedback of both successful and (if any)fails
    * added warnings when you exit (q) if no stack is enabled (netstack is set as always default)
    * fixed/enhanced various logic around, mostly to detect input under uninstall menu, to prevent accidental deletions.

(want to do)
    * present or most likely set a good default value for internal tcp settings during install to give best performance for a morphos system.
    * detect existing roadshow settings and files, and halt if installation would overwrite.
    * add a backup and restore of tcp settings and/or general settings(needed?)
    * add option to fetch samba 68k and to a basic installation with shares, using the roadshow settings to setup samba settings
    * add option to fetch e-uae and install lemmings while simultanously print goatse-ascii on every lan connected printer(needed?)

[ Edited by catohagen 24.01.2013 - 12:28 ]
  • »24.01.13 - 11:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > print goatse-ascii on every lan connected printer

Like this? :-)
  • »24.01.13 - 13:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Like this? :-)

heh, yes that webcam connected matrix printer did a good job, and i laughed my ass off that night :)
  • »24.01.13 - 14:07