Synergy (keyboard/mouse sharing) does it exist for MorphOS?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    I'd like to setup Synergy at home ideally with a MorphOS client... does anyone know if it's been ported to MorphOS yet?

http://synergy-foss.org/

thanks.
  • »01.12.10 - 00:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That would be very useful since I'm not sure kvm switches work that well under MorphOS.
    Looks neat. The source is there. Anyone want to try this?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.12.10 - 04:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Isn't it like VNC, but without video? I think such an utility exists, perhaps even for MorphOS...
  • »01.12.10 - 08:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > does anyone know if it's been ported to MorphOS yet?

I don't think so. But OS4 has such client:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=network/misc/amisynergyc.lha

You could try using OS4Emu.
  • »01.12.10 - 08:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Did you try zvnc?

(note: it's vnc but without video ;)

[ Edited by jacadcaps on 2010/12/1 14:28 ]
  • »01.12.10 - 08:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    jim

I have had several kvms working with Morphos and pegasos.. did you actually try it or are you guessin??
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »01.12.10 - 11:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    jim

I have had several kvms working with Morphos and pegasos.. did you actually try it or are you guessin??

And from (briefly) contributing, we go back to the snide comments (thanks magnetic).
    No, I wasn't thinking of using a kvm switch between two MorphOS platforms (or MorphOs and Windows).
    I've seen a few comments on the use of a switch between a MorphOS system and an OSX system causing a few users problems (but I'm not Andreas so I'm not going to be able to instantly recall the references).

And no, my finances don't let me just try hardware to see if it will work. I usually make sure that something will work BEFORE I buy it.
    That's where this site has been so useful. I had my Powermac setup with all except 1 PCI slot filled (several with cards that don't work under OSX) and I was ready months before 2.6 was relaease.
    Thanks to everyone here, all my hardware was fully compatible and functional on the release of 2.6 (except SATA and SCSI controller which we've beem promised later).

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/12/1 14:42 ]
  • »01.12.10 - 13:58
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    You know what would make an application like this really cool?
    Drop and drag support berween systems.
    It would make the software more complicated, but I don't see why it couldn't work (with the files being transfered via the lan interconnects).
  • »01.12.10 - 14:59
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    For this kind of stuff, zvnc works fine for me.
  • »01.12.10 - 15:19
    Golem
    @Jim

I've had no problems with ATEN KVM switches and MorphOS here.
  • »01.12.10 - 15:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    I can not see why a KVM would cause any problems. As long as its not a software controlled KVM why would it not work ?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »01.12.10 - 18:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

You know what would make an application like this really cool?
    Drop and drag support berween systems.

That wouldn't be "cool". That'll be downright mind-boggling: It would be separate computers sharing the same video workspace, with a portion showing on each. Remember, not even the same operating system nor architecture.

I recall something remotely similar, in a TAO Group intent/Elate (gasp!) demo - Yes, that amazing, weird (read: british) network deployed virtual machine thing that Amiga uses for... zany cell phone games. I think they had a game loke DOOM playing on three separate computers (all running TAO system, of course), dragging the visual result from one monitor to other. Serious science fiction.

Also, I think QNX's Neutrino with Photon GUI also achieved this. Guess what? It was also planned as an AmigaOS successor...
  • »02.12.10 - 09:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    @Jim

I've had no problems with ATEN KVM switches and MorphOS here.

Thanks Golem,
    This is the kind of information I would hope to receive, what works.

To the rest of the posters,
    Yes, obviously some kvm switcfes work flawlessly.
    And not all are Mac compatible. Some stste whether they are or not and other don't.
    And some that appear to work create intermittent problems for their users (like dropping a mouse or keyboatrd).

The terse, practical reply from Golem was the most useful to me (perhaps I should have worded my posts better, but I'm impressed with his ability to analyze my posts and come by with something of utility).

OK, so were all on the same page, yes a kvm switch would work. However, the only reason I questioned the reliability on such a device is I know people who have experienced trouble on systems with USB keyboards and mice routed through a kvm. And, I know at least some of you have experienced a similar problem or know someone else who has

So, now that I have led you all completely of topic (with the kvm question), what we were talking about was the possible advantages of an alerternate solution, Synergy.

Its not that I see this (primarily) software solution as being a more reliable method for switching keyboards and mice, its just that (as a software solution) it has more potential to be expanded and to have features added to it.

I was disappointed that no one addressed my drag and drop comment (frankly I thought it was something someone would find interesting). Instead you guys focused on contending an issue that (for me anyway) seemed beyond contention. Sometimes kvms fail to work, or intermitently fail to work correctly.
    And some brands seem to work better with specific applications (again thanks Golem).

So, to get back on track. What do you guys think about the possibilities of something like Synergy? When I think of where you could go from the basic package, the possibilities intrigue me.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/12/2 17:24 ]

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/12/2 17:39 ]

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/12/2 17:53 ]
  • »02.12.10 - 17:02