Open Office, or OOo4Kids port to MorphOS2.x???
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I haven't found any info about OOo4kids being ported to MorphOS2.x, only AmigaOS4.x. Does anyone know if work to port OOo4kids, or any other office suite to MorphOS2.x has begun? Sure would be great if work on the AmigaOS4.x port could also include parallel development of a port to MorphOS2.x.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.09.10 - 08:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    OOo4kids is licensed under GPLv3. As such any port for OS4 will be automagically available in source code form.

At this point however, absolutely nothing has been ported (configure fails), and as far as I can tell the guy supposedly doing the port is a total amiga coding newbie. This doesn't bode well for the project.

If you ask me I'd rather not get involved at this stage. If the miracle does happen and something comes out of it, then it should be rather trivial task to add a MorphOS port based on the AmigaOS4 one.
  • »14.09.10 - 08:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Good to know, although unfortunate that the project looks like it may not succeed, or progress at a rapid rate.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.09.10 - 08:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    What about using google docs ? I thought it worked in OWB ? Cant test now, im at work.
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »14.09.10 - 10:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I haven't found any info about OOo4kids being ported to MorphOS2.x, only AmigaOS4.x.

You can track the OS4 port's progress (or rather lack thereof) on http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/EnvironmentSetup/AmigaOS
  • »14.09.10 - 10:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Who is actually doing the port anyhow? Eric Bachard - I assume he received a donated machine?

I mistakenly -guessed- that it was a Hyperion/Hyperion sponsored project on Amiga Roundtable.

I would have preferred a port of the Go-oo port, rather than the Edu/Kids base - but I have to assume it is the easier of the variants I guess.

" Milestone 0.9

* Add a script for the Packaging
    * Package, install and uninstall OOo4Kids on Amiga OS 4.1
    * Provide a testable version

Timeline: early July 2011"

Oofa - This time next year possibly...
  • »14.09.10 - 12:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Eric Bachard - I assume he received a donated machine?

Yes. From early May:

"Sam440ep-Flex system was supplied under my Developer Hardware Loan/Donation scheme to port "Open Office 4 Kids" to AmigaOS 4."
    http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwdickinson_en.php

> I mistakenly -guessed- that it was a Hyperion/Hyperion sponsored project
    > on Amiga Roundtable.

Yes, at a time when there was no need to guess because everything had been public knowledge for months*. Even now, one month after you had become aware of it, the misleading statement is still there.

* From October 2009, when it all started (Google translation from French):

"Professor at the university, its students are already working on this project. [...] this teacher [...] has extensive knowledge in programming (he is also one of the holders of the draft Oo4Kids, Open Office For Kids, the famous port of OpenOffice light), we feel the passion in this project and give OpenOffice AmigaOS 4.1 could be an interesting challenge for him. One hopes that this meeting leads to something concrete"
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=www.amiga-ng.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle%26artid=23

Related thread on amigaworld.net:
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29788&forum=16
  • »14.09.10 - 12:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Andreas_Wolf:

Yikes - harsh.
    Oh if I could only be the fact checker and knowledge king that you are Andreas. Far be it for me to mislead anyone - not the intention. Anyhow- thanks, I guess.
  • »14.09.10 - 13:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Far be it for me to mislead anyone - not the intention.

Then prove it by eventually correcting the false statement ("Open Office lite/kids edition development via Hyperion for OS4") in the episode content listing on amigaz.org, which you could have done a month ago already :-)
  • »14.09.10 - 13:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    All over it my friend. In fact, believe it or not...be nice.. I have a memory of a 30-year seasoned pot smoker sometimes - as can be witnessed from this exchange. It honestly slipped my mind, now a few times, and has been addressed in a comment on the show and will be officially corrected in the posted "NOTES" segment. Stay tuned for a link that you can provide somewhere in the future. :)

EDIT:
    Done

[ Edited by Debaser on 2010/9/14 9:39 ]
  • »14.09.10 - 13:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > will be officially corrected in the posted "NOTES" segment.

Edit:

> Done
    > "The port is from the work of a developer named Eric Bachard
    > and his University Students."

Just one thing to add: the "its students are already working on this project" part refers to the OOo4Kids project as such, not to its porting to OS4. Taking into account that they have really just one single OS4 capable machine it's probably Mr. Bachard only who's working on the OS4 port (with occasional help from OS4 developers I guess).

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf on 2010/9/14 15:49 ]
  • »14.09.10 - 13:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

kriz wrote:
    What about using google docs ? I thought it worked in OWB ? Cant test now, im at work.

Works, but there are a few issues:
    if you hav eteh flash plugin installed upload of files failes, because of that. And generally successful upload of files depends on correct spoofing. Sometimes the upload gets denied (e.g. spoof as Safari or chrome) or no file requester pops up (e.g. spoof as IE). My little observation (havent used google docs a lot yet) is spoof as FF2.0 orks best.
    Has someone else other observations to share?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »14.09.10 - 14:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if you hav eteh flash plugin installed upload of files failes

That's where the per-tab options in settings menu, which where introduced in OWB v1.9, come in handy I guess. This way you can leave the Flash plugin installed but can switch it off for the Google Docs tab specifically.
  • »14.09.10 - 14:12
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    As said previously, per-tab settings can help when Flash gives some trouble. But in any case, google document upload is rather flaky (and this is not specific to OWB ;)). It's often easier to send the file to a gmail account and open it in google docs from there.

Alternatively, zoho.com has several office programs too, which seem as advanced as google docs, and it works with OWB too.
  • »14.09.10 - 15:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Fab
    thanks Fabien, ZOHO works very well with OSW 1.9 with .DOC, .DOCX ..etc..., useful also for .PDF non viewable with Apdf (when an update of Apdf ? :-) ), while problems with .XLS

regards
  • »14.09.10 - 16:37
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Oofa - This time next year possibly...

Seeing milestone 2, milestone 3, and soon milestone 4 deadlines have already been missed I wouldn't hold my breathe for a release next year :)
    The port hasn't even begun, it's just configuration time...
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.09.10 - 07:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Quote:

Just one thing to add: the "its students are already working on this project" part refers to the OOo4Kids project as such, not to its porting to OS4. Taking into account that they have really just one single OS4 capable machine it's probably Mr. Bachard only who's working on the OS4 port (with occasional help from OS4 developers I guess).

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf on 2010/9/14 15:49 ]

Noted - I will get this corrected as well. :)
  • »15.09.10 - 14:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    enough with the work arounds, I mean they work and all. downloading to ram: uploading to convert-media downloading back to txt only to pic it up again in ram with FW or something.....Seriously, one last time and blunt if you must Why can't we have some working ver of Oo which i can use at work email and veiw at home without the hors and pony show?
    yea did alot of office work tonight on my favorite system :-)
  • »27.09.10 - 01:03
    Golem
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    Seriously, one last time and blunt if you must Why can't we have some working ver of Oo which i can use at work email and veiw at home without the hors and pony show?

Because it would be a huge task and developer resources are limited? But perhaps you have some idea to make it happen?
  • »27.09.10 - 11:57
    Profile Visit Website