how to mount iso image files?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Is there a way to mount image files from CDs or DVDs?

I try to use the diskimage.device (37.7 from aminet) and it works for floppy disks and even 1 gig harddisk files.
    But when I try to mount the iso files in Mounter it does not detect the filesystem, and I dont see any logical choice in the available filesystem types.
    Any idea how to do this?

And I have another question about mounting disks:
    When I mount a harddisk file, diskimage contol makes a copy in a temporary folder, and all the changes are made to that temporary file.
    I've tried copying this file after some changes, and if I mount the file later with diskimage control, I can see the files are changed. But this changed file will not work as a harddisk file.
    So is there a way to mount a harddisk file and get real write access to it, without changing the structure of the file?
    (I need to use it in Bochs afterwards)
  • »03.07.10 - 21:38
    Golem
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    Is there a way to mount image files from CDs or DVDs?

Right click the the iso image in Ambient and select Mount.

Quote:

I try to use the diskimage.device (37.7 from aminet) and it works for floppy disks and even 1 gig harddisk files.

As an alternative to that you also have FileImageCtrl/fileimage.device and Mounter included with the system.

Quote:

And I have another question about mounting disks:
    When I mount a harddisk file, diskimage contol makes a copy in a temporary folder, and all the changes are made to that temporary file.

Use the tools supplied with the system.
  • »03.07.10 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks for that information. That solved the problem about being able to transfer files to the bochs hardfiles. Also I can mount the iso files as described.
    Also fileimage works better, because diskimage creates a temp file with the same size of the disk, which can be a problem with big harddisk files. And the fileimage device automaticly gets listed in the Mounter, so I dont have to enter it manually.

The mount script works fine, but I wonder why Mounter doesnt recognize the filesystem. I still show as unknown filesystem if I use the fileimage.device. The mount button is Gray even if I select 'Filesystem: Other' and enter the dostype (as in the ambient mounter script).

Also tried to use fileimage.device in bochs. It works better than the diskimage.device, but I get a Panic message, "could not get media capasity" and the CD will not apear in the emulation at all.
  • »04.07.10 - 10:02
    Golem
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    The mount script works fine, but I wonder why Mounter doesnt recognize the filesystem.

The script doesn't use fileimage.device, I don't know if Mounter is even able to recognise filesystems on ISOs or real CD/DVDs for that matter.
  • »04.07.10 - 12:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Could it be the fileimage.device that doesnt work so well with CD/DVDs?
    That could explain why Bochs also have a problems reading iso files when using that device.
  • »04.07.10 - 15:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Could it be the fileimage.device that doesnt work so well with CD/DVDs?
    That could explain why Bochs also have a problems reading iso files when using that device.
  • »04.07.10 - 15:59