Using Timberwolf with OS4 EMU?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hey guys
    With the bombshell news of a Firefox port for AOS 4 what are the chances that we will be able to run it with OS4 emu or something on Morphos?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »11.06.10 - 04:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I'd like to see a comparison list of the differences between the Timberwolf alpha release and the current release of OWB for MorphOS.

Do we really need Timberwolf?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.06.10 - 05:00
    Golem
    @magnetic

Seems unlikely, but you could just install OS4.1 on that Peg2.
  • »11.06.10 - 05:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    No flash and very slow html5 support? I'll take OWB instead, thank you.
  • »11.06.10 - 07:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    But this release is almost unusable. From the readme file:

Quote:

- Menus display correctly (mostly), but selecting items with the mouse isn't working.

- Some boxes on web pages do not show correctly. They might even destroy some of the UI elements.

- When launched for the fist time, the window will be taller than the screen.

- Speed is currently much lower than it could be. A conceptual problem in the rendering code and missing hardware acceleration is responsible for that.

- It crashes a lot. It might even crash when just looking at it.

Simply put, it shouldn't have been made available for public.
  • »11.06.10 - 07:41
    Golem
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:

Simply put, it shouldn't have been made available for public.

Why not?
  • »11.06.10 - 07:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    We all know the real reason it was released in this state.
  • »11.06.10 - 08:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    the moonphase..... ?
  • »11.06.10 - 08:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I think it should run out of the box but it probably uses shared objects which I cant bother to support in OS4Emu. It is way too much work because OS4Emu uses its own ELF loader and cant take an advantage of shared objects support in MorphOS.

[ Edited by itix on 2010/6/11 12:21 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.06.10 - 08:53
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @amigadave

Quote:

I'd like to see a comparison list of the differences between the Timberwolf alpha release and the current release of OWB for MorphOS.

Let's not speak about that alpha, because there's really too much that doesn't work, which makes the browser mostly useless.

But if we're talking about a fully working version of FireFox, then it has really lots of UI features around the engine (Gecko) regarding history, completion, configuration, extensions, and much more. I've also added as much as i could on top of OWB/WebKit (OWB is originally just a webpage viewer, there's no UI at all), but I can't really pretend to compete alone against the whole team of developers from mozilla who developed all these features since 6 years or so.

Now, Regarding WebKit vs. Gecko, i'd say WebKit has really nothing to envy, quite the contrary.
  • »11.06.10 - 13:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Now, Regarding WebKit vs. Gecko, i'd say WebKit has really nothing to envy, quite the contrary.

Well, Gecko is fully compatible with all the mainstream WYSIWYG content editors out there. Webkit is not. Key functionality such as selecting elements within tables or resizing images does not work.

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12250

It has been three years since the 'bug' was reported, it still is not fixed.

Here is an example website:
    http://ckeditor.com/demo

Click on the image in the top left corner and try to resize it. Works fine in Firefox (and even IE). Doesn't in Chrome, Safari or OWB...
  • »11.06.10 - 15:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Dreamcast270mhz
    Is the source code of this port available? It definitely would be easier if the Timberwolf guys had a few MOS savvy devs and they could give us a MOS native port, if only it used MUI it would look better than OWB. Don't get me wrong, OWB is cool, but it would definitely be cool if we had this, could replace that awful Sputnik abomination as OWB's main competitor. Hopefully a few MOS devs get on board w/ timberwolf.
    My Macs:
    Powerbook G4 ALU 1.5GHZ 15" 1.5GB OSX.5.8
    Powermac G4 MDD 1.5GHZ OSX.5.8 MOS2.7

Want a part for a Mac? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Amithlon is amazing, questions and help I can provide.
  • »11.06.10 - 17:15
    Golem
    @Dreamcast270mhz

It is a bounty targetted at OS4 assigned to the Friedens (not going to happen).
  • »11.06.10 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Generally you don't release software at an early alpha stage like this because too many people complain about known bugs or known missing features, people think it might be indicative of the final software despite clearly telling them it isn't, some of the bugs are embarrassingly simple and can be fixed with just a little more time to test and tweak, users post workarounds for some of the bugs despite them being temporary and this "useful" knowledge is kept confusing matters afterwards, the software isn't useful.

There are 3 exceptions I can think of: 1. it's an open source project and you want to encourage the other developers to do more work so you release your changes, 2. you have designed a unique UI for handling the application but you want some feedback to see if users understand it/like it, or 3. you want to support a wide range of platforms/configurations and the only way to check is to get people to try it.

1. Doesn't apply; only the Firefox code is open source via the MPL and there are only two people working on it.
    2. Doesn't apply: they are copying the Firefox UI, the web browser paradigm is not a new type of UI.
    3. I don't think this applies, there are three platforms: AmigaOne, Micro AmigaOne and Sam. Hardly exotic in my POV.

Why was this released now ?
    I can't think of a good reason. Enjoy watching it crash ???

I note:

12.10.2009 MorphOS 2.4 released
    17.10.2009 AmigaOS 4.1 Update sneak preview released [1]

04.06.2010 MorphOS 2.5 released
    09.06.2010 Timberwolf Alpha 1 released [2]

Draw your own conclusions.

[1] http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5106
    [2] http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5470
  • »12.06.10 - 00:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there are three platforms: AmigaOne, Micro AmigaOne and Sam.

I think you forgot one ;-)
  • »12.06.10 - 01:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    No flash and very slow html5 support? I'll take OWB instead, thank you.

That was my point.
  • »12.06.10 - 02:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

I think you forgot one ;-)

and Pegasos.

@Dreamcast270mhz

I don't understand why anyone would set up a bounty but accept delivery of only binaries. If I had set up the bounty I would have asked for binaries and source.
  • »12.06.10 - 09:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    Timberwolf (a.k.a Firefox) is great but the amiga version is pre-alpha!!! need a lot of changes, fixes and optimizations but i am happy to see this browser on os4 compatible machines.
    But i think morphos don?t need a pre-alpha, alpha and beta versions of timerwolf for the moment... OWB 1.8 MorphOS is the best browser in this moment (Fab do a great work with html5 & flash) and best than OWB 3.x os4 and any browser available on amiga compatible.
  • »12.06.10 - 10:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    We may see Firefox on MorphOS in the future but I don't expect it anytime soon. We are really lucky to have taleted developers like Fab. His OWB port is probably the best of any platform.
  • »12.06.10 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    TiredOfLife
    Other than to maybe draw a bit more attention/interest to Morphos from outside the community, it would seem like a lot of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

OWB is a complete browser unlike it's AOS4 counterpart.
    It's is certainly a welcome addition for me as a AO4 user but not something I would be particuarly exited about as part of my Morphos experience.
  • »12.06.10 - 19:11
    xyphoid
    well owb is my favorite browser on any system! In fact, I use chrome on my ubuntu, and firefox only if necessary. Now if timberwolf was ported with options owb doesn't have, we're saying something. The latest version of owb enhances the morphos experience while browsing, without hick-up Only one necessary fix a pop up warning of downloading before exiting :-) I tend to place the d/l window behind and forget. Whatever is missing rom the browser has nothing much to do with the browser itself, just 3rd party applications.
  • »12.06.10 - 22:49
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Mmh, that's weird, because you should really be warned with a requester if you still have downloads in progress when quitting.
  • »13.06.10 - 00:07
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Maybe if I take the trime to read huh? It does :-P
  • »13.06.10 - 01:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koan wrote:

Why was this released now ?
    I can't think of a good reason. Enjoy watching it crash ???

I note:

12.10.2009 MorphOS 2.4 released
    17.10.2009 AmigaOS 4.1 Update sneak preview released [1]

04.06.2010 MorphOS 2.5 released
    09.06.2010 Timberwolf Alpha 1 released [2]

Draw your own conclusions.

[1] http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5106
    [2] http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5470

I have come to the same conclusion that you apparently have come to about the few premature, or meaningless announcements aimed at the AmigaOS4.x audience that come out a few hours, or days after there is any public announcement regarding anything to do with MorphOS.

Personally I am not against anything to do with AmigaOS4.x in any way, but I do dislike that type of behavior from anyone or any company, or group. It immediately makes me think that the person, group or company is very insecure that is doing such premature, or meaningless announcements, just to try to take attention away from "REAL" announcements about something related to MorphOS. Either they are insecure, or they have decided to take a page from the Bill Gates book of how to promote inferior products.

I have nothing against AmigaOS4.x and might even decide to buy an AOS4.x system some day, but not at the crazy price of admission to that club today and certainly not until (if ever) AmigaOS4.x is as good or better OS than MorphOS2.5.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/6/12 20:27 ]
  • »13.06.10 - 02:48
    xyphoid
    So with all this chatter ...Using Timberwolf with OS4 EMU?... did anyone get it to work?
  • »13.06.10 - 03:42