2.5 update issue on Mac mini
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I am back home and wanted to update my Mac mini from 2.4 to 2.5 today. But it failed so far.
    Bienvenue shows the option "update installation" ghosted only and nothing happens if clicking it. Then I decided to back up manually and go for a fresh install. But after clicking all the options when I eventually reach the window where MorphOS 2.5 should get installed to, Bienvenue tells me that on that actual selected partition there is an installation already (right!) and I should back it up. When I click to proceed the update process anyway nothing happens.
    I think this is kind of weird. On my Efika the update just went flawlessly, but on the mini it refuses to actually copy files.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »09.06.10 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Just did the update...no issues here.

IKE
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »10.06.10 - 01:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    This failure with the installation is from the mounted .iso file. Now I wanted to write a cd with make cd to check whether it works then, but somehow I cannot convince makecd to write a dirsk. Anyone suggestions for the setting in makecd? Never used make cd on the mini before...
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »10.06.10 - 08:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Today I really feel noobish...
    Can anyone tell me how to eject a blank disk on the mini?
    --

• »10.06.10 - 09:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    kiero
    you don't have to burn the cd. you can boot using the iso image. i think it's even described somewhere (check readmes) but can't check now (at work)
  • »10.06.10 - 10:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Installing from a mounted ISO is indeed not supported, and probably leads to these kind of errors when attempting to update using iwizard. Manual installation is of course always possible, but then you must know what you're doing (not all files should be overwritten, if you don't want to lose your settings/changes).

Typing eject cd in openfirmware is another solution to eject the CD.

Like said above, booting from the ISO file is quite handy too. Let's say your ISO path is DH1:MorphOS-2.5.iso. You just extract the mac_ppc32/boot.img from the ISO and put it in the boot partition as boot25.img or so, and in OpenFirmware, you type :
    boot boot25.img bi=DH1:MorphOS-2.5.iso

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/6/10 14:01 ]
  • »10.06.10 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Zylesea

Enable the Eject screenbar - that'll make ejecting easy.
  • »10.06.10 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Anyone suggestions for the setting in makecd? Never used make cd on the mini before...

I don't think there are any differences between using MakeCD on the Mac mini or using it on Pegasos or whatever.
  • »10.06.10 - 13:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Thank you, guys.
    Installing from the booted iso indeed went flawlessly as expected. I was wondering why it doesn't work from the mounted (but not booted off) iso, since on the Efika it seemes to work. A least I did that yesterday.

Btw.:ejecting the blank CD with the eject screenbar seems not to work under 2.4. At least when I clicked the eject button in the morning with 2.4 it didn't ejected the disk. Now all works as expected, but now 2.5 is on the maschine.

Great update!
    --

• »10.06.10 - 16:32
    Profile Visit Website