Mplayer EDL EDIT DECISION LIST
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    First attempt at editing.
    Trying to follow the manual.

The edit decision list (EDL) system allows you to automatically skip or mute sections of videos during playback, based on a movie specific EDL configuration file.

This is useful for those who may want to watch a film in "family-friendly" mode. You can cut out any violence, profanity, Jar-Jar Binks .. from a movie according to your own personal preferences. Aside from this, there are other uses, like automatically skipping over commercials in video files you watch.

The EDL file format is pretty bare-bones. There is one command per line that indicates what to do (skip/mute) and when to do it (using pts in seconds). Where is this line?

3.5.1.?Using an EDL file

Include the -edl <filename> flag HOW? when you run MPlayer, with the name of the EDL file you want applied to the video.

3.5.2.?Making an EDL file

The current EDL file format is:

[begin second] [end second] [action]
    Where the seconds are floating-point numbers and the action is either 0 for skip or 1 for mute. Example:

5.3 7.1 0
    15 16.7 1
    420 422 0
    This will skip from second 5.3 to second 7.1 of the video, then mute at 15 seconds, unmute at 16.7 seconds and skip from second 420 to second 422 of the video. These actions will be performed when the playback timer reaches the times given in the file.

To create an EDL file to work from, use the -edlout <filename> flag. Where are these flags? During playback, just hit i to mark the beginning and end of a skip block. A corresponding entry will be written to the file for that time. You can then go back and fine-tune the generated EDL file as well as change the default operation which is to skip the block described by each line.

I have a TEST video in ram: named "TEST".
    Fired up Mplayer... and looking for flags lines and an edl file?
    I know I should not post this. :-D
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »27.01.10 - 02:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hmm reading this makes me wonder if Mplayer can be used to edit videos like Quick Time Pro... with actual markers as opposed to EDL
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »27.01.10 - 02:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    cool just tried this, and it works great!

and mencoder also supports the edl file, so you could use it to cut movies obtained from otr for example, great!
  • »27.01.10 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > reading this makes me wonder if Mplayer can be used to edit videos like
    > Quick Time Pro... with actual markers as opposed to EDL

For editing MEncoder is to be preferred over MPlayer.

Edit: Missed that igracki already wrote something along this line.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf on 2010/1/27 18:09 ]
  • »27.01.10 - 17:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Now, is there a comfortable way to create those "EDL" files? For example, hitting a key while viewing the vidio, and have that moment in time (seconds since the begining) added to a file.
  • »28.01.10 - 11:35
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    You could probably do it with the "run" command i added to mplayer. Bind a nice rexx script to some keys in input.conf (for instance: F1 run "rx somescript.rexx"), and in that REXX script, retrieve current movie position through MPlayer Rexx port to generate to EDL file.

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/1/28 13:36 ]
  • »28.01.10 - 13:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @jcmarcos

A more comfortable way than mentioned in the first post in this thread? Specify an out file and tap "i" while playing the video, yes, confirmed it's working here.
  • »28.01.10 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Golem wrote:

A more comfortable way than mentioned in the first post in this thread?

Ouch! Me dumb, sorry.
  • »29.01.10 - 08:58