TVPaint + wacon intuos USB
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hi,

I have found back my wacom pen and took the chance to plug my wacom intuos A3 to my efika.

It works like a charm but the pressure is not catched by TVPaint.

Do anyone have advice to make tvpaint have pressure working with wacom tablet ?

I have looked at poseidon settings but it looks like a bit complex and i am not really used at it.

Czk.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »26.10.08 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ Tcheko

I also use a Wacom Intuos3 Wide graphic tablet but unfortunately I wasn't able to get pressure when working with TVPaint3.6. This is really a shame because it would be VERY mach needed for graphic artists...

I know that pressure worked in the past when having a tablet via serial port connected. So TVPaint must only have pressure coming through the serial port or something like that?

Perhaps Chris Hodges could help here?

If you find a solution please let me know, I really would need this feature.

Regards

Christoph
  • »29.10.08 - 06:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Hi rms,

Indeed, pressure is a must have...

TVPaint uses serial.device to get the data coming from the tablets. We can change the device used for tablet with tooltype.

It is certainly possible to write a dummy device that take data from poseidon and route them to TVPaint.

The key is : what is the format coming from serial.device and what TVPaint expect ?

I have found that there is a device for penpartner serial tablet (dspach.free.fr). I have sent a mail to the author but no answer yet. The page is quite old (2001). Maybe he does not pop this address anymore...

I don't know if C.Hodges can be of any help & willing to do anything about this.

Anyway, it is really nice to have good wacom support :)

I keep in touch if i find a solution...

Czk.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
  • »29.10.08 - 13:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    IIRC pressure worked fine with my Volito 2 and TVPaint, no special settings required in poseidon and no need for any serial device silliness. Maybe it is a problem that only affects Intuos tablets?
  • »29.10.08 - 14:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ Golem

well, finally what we need is pressure in TVPaint together with Intuos so graphic artists can work like with none digital painting tools...

Whatever could be done to get this working, would be GREAT!
  • »29.10.08 - 16:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    IIRC pressure worked fine with my Volito 2 and TVPaint, no special settings required in poseidon and no need for any serial device silliness. Maybe it is a problem that only affects Intuos tablets?

Could you test again and confirm this that USB tablet gives pressure to TVPaint?

Taken for the original TVPaint documentation :

DEVICE= [device name]
    Defines the name of the device used by the digitizing tablet. By default, this
    tooltype is set to ?serial.device?.

TVPaint do use serial device by default to get data from tablets. TVPaint comes from dark age where tablets was only serial devices...

[ Edited by Tcheko on 2008/10/29 19:11 ]
    -------
  • »29.10.08 - 18:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    Quote:

rms wrote:
    @ Tcheko

I also use a Wacom Intuos3 Wide graphic tablet but unfortunately I wasn't able to get pressure when working with TVPaint3.6. This is really a shame because it would be VERY mach needed for graphic artists...

I know that pressure worked in the past when having a tablet via serial port connected. So TVPaint must only have pressure coming through the serial port or something like that?

Perhaps Chris Hodges could help here?

If you find a solution please let me know, I really would need this feature.

It is indeed a shame because except for ArtEffect, there's no painting package making use of the AmigaOS tablet input events that would provide all the pressure information that is supported by the hid.class for USB devices. DPaint uses a proprietary wacom.library that nobody knows about and TVPaint says to have support for serial tablets but using SnoopDOS, I can't even see it opening the serial device (though it does evaluate the DEVICE tooltype) yet, but maybe I need to change some config within the program.

To make it short: I think I could write a reverse emulation within some hours, but except for RMS, who was a fond supporter in the past, this won't be a tool for free.
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »29.10.08 - 20:07
    Tcheko
    Quote:

platon42 wrote:

To make it short: I think I could write a reverse emulation within some hours, but except for RMS, who was a fond supporter in the past, this won't be a tool for free.

What's your hourly rate for such a job ?

Anyone interested about pressure support in tvpaint ?

Bounty ?
    -------
  • »29.10.08 - 22:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ platon42

Chris, if something like that could be done, I will still support you, pay some amount because at my opinion TVPaint is the ONLY professional painting package left and it would really be needed to have "pressure" to do realistic painting.

Also, if needed, I can lend you for easier writing the driver my 2 Wacom Tablets, one is a Intuos3 Wide the other is a Intuos2 and I would even have an older Wacom A3+ Tablet with serial connector which worked fine under AOS 3.9 and TVPaint but did not anymore under MorphOS.

With best regards

Christoph
  • »30.10.08 - 07:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    platon42,
    Would your tool (software) work on other versions of wacom tablets like the Cintiq tablets/monitors?

Memering
    God Bless

Bob
  • »30.10.08 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website