UAE + EFIKA..how fast are you?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    anyone getting over 980 or so dhrystones w/sysinfo? if so, post up your .conf and/or .uaerc files... thx
  • »07.09.08 - 05:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    I have to admit that I'm really struggling with this program. What's the difference between .uaerc and .conf files? With Morph 2.1 I can now get to the kickstart/insert disk screen but it's not responding to f12 + f1 keys or any other combination for that matter. I know I'm just being a whinger but I really dislike the absence of a user interface.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »08.09.08 - 04:14
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    .uaerc is a more general config, valid for all games, whereas the .conf files considers special configurations for single games, like adjusting the framerate or including a different directory for single games.

Instead of F12 you have to use Ctrl-LAlt (e.g. Ctrl-Lalt-f1 for inserting ADF-images and so on).

While I personally like the handling via shortcuts, you may have interest in RhLaunch, it's a nice MUI-based GUI, but it doesn't handle all options in E-UAE.

http://natmeg.stamey.at/downloads/rhLaunch/rhlaunch.lha
  • »08.09.08 - 08:18
    ausPPC
    Ahhh... I think I knew that (about not using f12). I've got the WIP4 version which comes with e-uae and e-uae.sdl but no Docs folder.

I did try rhlaunch some time ago but gave up on it - guess I should try it again.

Thanks for your help!
  • »08.09.08 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Umm how do I get back to UAE after disk change?
  • »08.09.08 - 12:54
    Cego
    you can switch between screens with the button in the right of the titlebar. when you rightclick it, you can see all the opened screens in a popup menu.

or just press lwindows + m to switch screens.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »08.09.08 - 13:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Thnx for the help. Well I just managed to test out Settlers and it was unusable slow :( Is there ways to optimize or is this as fast as UAE will get with Efika?

[ Edited by Painkiller on 2008/9/8 14:39 ]
  • »08.09.08 - 13:36
    ausPPC
    994 dhrystones seems to be the best I can manage. I made a bootable adf with sysinfo and few other things on it - doesn't seem terribly fast. I tried the ppc linux version of e-uae on the Gentoo LiveImage/E17ka quite a while ago... Perhaps it's just a case of wishful memory but it seemed faster.
  • »09.09.08 - 02:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    UAE on linux would only be slower on same hardware.
    BTW, for games, you'd better avoid the SDL version and go with native one in overlay mode.

Here, slamtilt achieves about 70% speed on EFIKA, IIRC.
  • »09.09.08 - 03:07
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    Would a cpu speed test running on Picasso screen be more favourable? How much chipset emulation overhead is done away with when EUAE is setup to use Picasso?

[ Edited by ausPPC on 2008/9/10 0:15 ]
  • »09.09.08 - 15:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well, if you really really want to use Workbench stuff, then yes, picasso96 emulation will help. But i would have thought the main purpose of UAE (on MorphOS that is) is running games and not useless benchmarks.
  • »09.09.08 - 15:23
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Well I guess we will just have to wait for Mac Mini port for MOS to get reasonable speeds from UAE.

I'm guessing that ECS/OCS/AGA emulation is the resource hog with Efika, could this be done on GFX card and rest be emulated with the PPC?
  • »09.09.08 - 17:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @fab:
    the purpose of listing benchmarks was to see if somebody else had their uae setup differently and ran much faster. I guess 984 is the fastest it will get on the efika for now.
  • »09.09.08 - 21:18
    Profile Visit Website