• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    wonder if this could be ported to us? os4.o now has a version
  • »16.07.08 - 05:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    It is "running" on the Cygnix X-Window-Server.
    Not natively ported.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »16.07.08 - 17:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    I'm confused how it works exactly, can someone please clarify?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »16.07.08 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website
    serge
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    I'm confused how it works exactly, can someone please clarify?

Hi magnetic,

It's not so hard to understand.

Abiword is an application easy to compil for amigaOS or Morphos.
    The only thing hard to port is the UNIX GUI. To port an application like Abiword including a translation of the UNIX GUI "X-Window" to Intuition and MUI, it's a lot of borring work.
    There's a way to port easly UNIX programs to Amiga.
    The idea is to port the main program, but not the GUI because we can use a UNIX native GUI ported on a first time like the GygnX project.This Unix GUI named X-Window will be used to show all Unix ported programs instead of intuition.
    AmigaOS 4 have an X-window server ported called GygnX.
    So, now if an Unix application is compiled to run natively on OS4, this application will use GygnX to draw windows, buttons, mouse events like if it was on an Unix system.

[ Edited by serge on 2008/7/16 21:16 ]
  • »16.07.08 - 20:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    serge

thx for the explanation, i'm looking for how to get it all running with os4 emu and morphos2...

tia
  • »16.07.08 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Unix/Linux programs are best run under Unix/Linux IMHO. Everyone can run these apps in their true environment on your Peg's if you simply boot up Linux. I think its "funny" (not really) to call SDL browsers and x11 apps "Amiga Apps". Native takes work and time, but it's what justify the MorphOS development in the first place. If your idea of MorphOS is to run x11 apps and/or SDL apps (in a fundamental way, not as some gimmick) then there is no point in continuing this platform, simply run the POSIX apps where they belong instead. Just my 2 Eurocents.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.07.08 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    takemehome

uh.. no kidding i can boot into linux - can you not see my sig. The POINT is I dont want to boot into linux. I want it all on morphos.
  • »16.07.08 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I think its "funny" (not really) to call SDL browsers and x11 apps "Amiga Apps".

Who cares what you call them. If you run MorphOS, and mostly use MorphOS and Amiga apps, but occasionally want to use Abiword or The Gimp, isn't it convenient if you can run them in MorphOS without having to quit YAM/SimpleMail/Sputnik/whatever to do so? Thats not as good as a port that uses MUI or whatever, but it is still more convenient than quitting all your apps, booting into linux, doing what you wanted to do, quitting again, and rebooting again.

Quote:

Native takes work and time, but it's what justify the MorphOS development in the first place. If your idea of MorphOS is to run x11 apps and/or SDL apps (in a fundamental way, not as some gimmick) then there is no point in continuing this platform

OS4 has had Cygnix for a while, but still people create OS4 native software. Having a decent X11 server doesn't stop people developing native apps.

BTW, OWB is not a simple SDL port and hasn't been for a long time; it has a full integrated ReAction interface, ARexx port, tooltypes, and a whole bunch of os4 specific changes to the rendering code.
    Pegasos 1 April 2, MorphOS 1.4.5
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »16.07.08 - 22:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Xeron,

and what's the reason for still using partially SDL in OWB btw?
  • »16.07.08 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    confirm this if it works and how to do it
    thanks
  • »17.07.08 - 02:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    this was discussed in the "OS4emu" thread.
    OS4emu doesn't support it.
  • »17.07.08 - 06:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @Fab

Only Joerg or Andrea could give a full answer to that, but my best guess is that it is still rendering to an SDL surface, its just that that SDL surface is contained in a BOOPSI/ReAction object, but I would hardly call it an SDL recompile any more, there is significant amiga specific code throught the project now for the amiga port.

AFAIK, the amiga changes are being put back into the official OWB source tree.
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »17.07.08 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
    serge
    Hi Fab,

If I remember well, you did some tries with a X-window server.
    Was it an old 68K server like Xami or something reworked by urself?

Someone on Amigaimpact told about the fact that you are ready to give all your work to everybody who whants to continue this project.
    What is the state of your projetc? I remember you running something like Eyes program. do you think it's easy to port other things to this server like it was done for CygniX on OS4?

We have a real lake on word processing programs.
    I regret a lot the dead of the papyrus project.
    Unfortunatly, today there's not another solution than using X-11 word processors.

[ Edited by serge on 2008/7/17 18:52 ]
  • »17.07.08 - 18:52
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    Please, leave the rael stuff have rael X11, leave mos alone.
  • »17.07.08 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Serge,

i already replied you elsewhere, but anyway...

"Cygnix" is just a straight recompilation of geekgadget x11 server (that was utterly slow), xlibs and all other libs required by these unix apps. In practice, OS4 users probably all use the 68k Xami X11 server that is much faster (and it also runs on MorphOS).

I compiled xgeek and it's just too slow. Xami is a better choice. About the xlibs, glib, cairo, font*, gtk(2), and other libs, it's just most of the time ./configure && make. :)

Without too much trouble (except the fact it's *extremely* boring and uninteresting), you can run gtk2 apps. Once it's done, you can reiterate with the boring stuff and compile those so badly wanted linux apps such as abiword & co.

So really, if someone is motivated to do that, it's really easy, shouldn't take more than a week to package all that crap together. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2008/7/17 18:32 ]
  • »17.07.08 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    With a simple VNC client you could even run Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office. :-P
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.07.08 - 08:57
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @takemehomegrandma

That is still not the same. I can understand not being interested in an X11 server and ports that use it (i don't use Cygnix apps on my A1, but i know people that do), but I simply don't understand the hostility towards even contemplating it. Cygnix has not stopped people doing proper ports, or writing native apps. I can't understand why people think it would have a detrimental effect.
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »18.07.08 - 09:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Just my 2 eurocent...
    As Alfie already said,
    let X on Un*x.
    Don't get MorphOS morph on another linux distro.

@ Alfie: it's really nice to have the real marrano(tm) coming back home! :-)
    Me and guruman were speaking about your disappearing just a week ago...
    Ciao!
    -------------------
  • »18.07.08 - 10:04
    serge
    Quote:

xeron wrote:
    @takemehomegrandma

That is still not the same. I can understand not being interested in an X11 server and ports that use it (i don't use Cygnix apps on my A1, but i know people that do), but I simply don't understand the hostility towards even contemplating it. Cygnix has not stopped people doing proper ports, or writing native apps. I can't understand why people think it would have a detrimental effect.

Hi xeron,

maybe this guys who dont like X solution will debug and finish the papyrus port, or maybe port a little word processor like Abiword.
    Will they do it? If not which is the solution they have to get such applications? ATM I dont understand their thinking.

[ Edited by serge on 2008/7/18 23:18 ]
  • »18.07.08 - 23:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

serge wrote:

maybe this guys who dont like X solution will debug and finish the papyrus port, or maybe port a little word processor like Abiword.
    Will they do it? If not which is the solution they have to get such applications? ATM I dont understand their thinking.

[ Edited by serge on 2008/7/18 23:18 ]

I also don't care about a possible X solution like Cygnix. It's an ugly and slow solution, it totally defeats the purpose of MorphOS (remember, the lightning OS ;-))

I really like Linux, especially Debian, it's been my main OS for years but an X solution like Cygnix for MorphOS is not the way forward, it's a temporary solution. In other words, wasted efforts.

If MorphOS want's to survive and be taken serious it's got to have native applications not a draconian solution like Cygnix. IMHO a GTK wrapper for MUI is a much better approach, this would make porting GTK apps like Abiword, Gnumeric and lot's of other needed and cool Linux applications easier (I'm no programmer so I could be wrong here).

Just my 2 eurocent ;-)

[ Edited by Toto on 2008/7/19 0:48 ]
  • »19.07.08 - 00:13
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    It should not be forgotten that the X Window System is nothing but a networked GUI protocol. Having such a thing is an advantage in many ways (allows to run apps on one computer and display the GUI on another). Also, XDMCP can be used to log in to other computers. If supported on Amiga-like OSes, it would allow to log in remotely to or from an Amiga-like system.

X is more like 'graphics.library' and 'layers.library', with some elements from 'intuition.library'. It does not really prescribe the look and feel of applications. X can be used to seamlessly integrate into the host environment. I.e. using native window decorations (window frames) and gadgets. On Windows, there's an X server called Xceed that excels in this.

Although it's possible to use a separate screen for X, it's by no means necessary. Applications could blend seamlessly into Workbench or Ambient.

GTK builds upon X, and is itself like 'intuition.library' combined with 'gadtools.library', and a bit MUI or ReAction thrown in perhaps. GTK has its own widget set (i.e. look and feel), but if it would use the default X 'gadgets', these could be passed through to the underlying UI layer (Workbench or Ambient).

A combined port of X, XDMCP and GTK would be best, I think.

[ Edited by voyager2007 on 2008/7/19 2:10 ]
  • »19.07.08 - 02:03
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Voyager,

indeed. And such a "rootless" x server would be more acceptable, integration and also probably speed-wise. But it's of course much more work than a plain recompilation. On the other hand, x11 protocol and its drawing functions are of course completely documented and it shouldn't be very hard to implement such a server (i remember the pen stuff was kinda brain dead tho :)).

In any case, this is the kind of project someone should pick, and not just a blind recompilation of x11 server & its applications.
  • »19.07.08 - 02:34
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    let's not forget cinnamon writer is currently being worked on. http://desler.be/modules/wfchannel/

Not main stream, but then it's ours. Would this work with os4emu?

Also, why stop with abiword....why not openoffice, while we're at it?
  • »19.07.08 - 05:29
    Senex
    Quote:

A combined port of X, XDMCP and GTK would be best, I think.

Well, thanks to Oliver Brunner who attended to the AROS bounty that I initiated three years ago, there already is a GTK-MUI wrapper, implementing 210 additional functions more than the 77 initial ones the bounty description required.
  • »19.07.08 - 06:50
    Profile Visit Website