DVD playback on efika
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Question for efika+linux users; is it possible to have no-glitches DVD playback under linux if efika had gfx card installed (for h/w decoding)?

Why i ask? If efika+gfx card are fast enough for dvd playback under linux, it would be also fast enough under mos, once drivers and movie s/w got support for h/w decoding.
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »16.03.07 - 10:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    well, afaik, hw decoding doesn't work under morphos, and even 600 mhz peg1/2 isn't fast enough to play dvd smoothly... even g4 peg 2 can't play it 100% smooth. (depends on dvd)...

bye, MarK.
  • »17.03.07 - 09:46
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:09 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »17.03.07 - 12:12
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Quote:

MarK wrote:
    well, afaik, hw decoding doesn't work under morphos, and even 600 mhz peg1/2 isn't fast enough to play dvd smoothly... even g4 peg 2 can't play it 100% smooth. (depends on dvd)...

bye, MarK.

Yes, but one day it might work. Who knows what MOS1.5 brings :-?

But i think h/w decoding is avaliable under linux. If efika+gfx card+linux are fast enough for dvd playback, mos would be also.
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »17.03.07 - 12:17
    MarK
    this is just a theory... it could work, if it would use some hw acceleration... but... now there is no hw acceleration (afaik), so everything must be decoded by cpu... and cpu isn't fast enough to play dvd smoothly. as i said, with several dvds, also 1ghz g4 isn't smooth.

this isn't question of cpu consumption of the morphos/linux, but lack of the hw description. and for more, it's a bit problematic to connect a dvd-rom to the efika via ide... if you want to but efike to play dvds... then don't do so... wait for efika2, or so...

bye, MarK.
  • »17.03.07 - 12:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    Quote:

even 600 mhz peg1/2 isn't fast enough to play dvd smoothly... even g4 peg 2 can't play it 100% smooth. (depends on dvd)...

peg 1 should be enough to have smooth dvd playback. The problem with dvd isn't releated to cpu power but it's a software problem - mplayer on morphos doesn't have cache (at linux it's using some fork tricks and none wanted/had time/cared enough to reimplement that code in morphos version) so unless your dvd drive has good and efficient cache playback won't be smooth, no matter how fast cpu is. So there are a 3 possible sollutions - 1. testing a lot of dvd drives and selecting the one with a good cache, 2. implementing cache to mplayer, 3. buying a standalone dvd player :-)
  • »17.03.07 - 14:52
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:06 ]
  • »17.03.07 - 15:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

3 is no good at all. 2 is the best (bounty, anyone?). 1 is okay if it works and perhaps Genesi could bundle them with the Efikas.

3 is actually the only option that makes any sense at all, and 1 is absolutely no option whatsoever for an Efika, but I thought we established this fact already, so whytf are you still chanting on this one?

- CISC
  • »17.03.07 - 18:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    That settles that. CISC is one of our mplayer / dvd experts (ok slacker) so not possible. Efika is way underpowered for this application.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »17.03.07 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:05 ]
  • »17.03.07 - 21:14
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:04 ]
  • »17.03.07 - 21:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Glad you didn't rule out 2 though.

It's ruled out per definition since there's no reasonable way to connect a DVD-ROM to an Efika...

Quote:

does CISC think Efika is sufficiently powered for any application?

Sure it is, it works fine with anything that doesn't require a decent amount of raw processing power, or reasonably fast media access (both memory/bus and ide performance is abysmal by todays standards), ie; you can use it for lots of everyday tasks like various internet apps, office-like apps, playing low-demand multimedia (audio, medium sized video etc), low-end games, etc, but then again there are far more suited devices (not to mention cheaper) for all this...

IMO the Efika is not suited as an end-user product (you might have noticed by now), but rather as a prototype board for custom embedded devices (where the customer can tailor-fit the finished product to their needs), unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the direction Genesi wants to go with it (and besides the 5200 is really too crippled to have much of a chance to compete in this market anyway).

- CISC
  • »20.03.07 - 10:16
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:03 ]
  • »21.03.07 - 10:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    I do recall reading that the Efika has trouble making use of a second IDE device on its single IDE connector, that there is some sort of difficulty when one connects the ribbon cable to a second IDE device. However I do not know whether that has been confirmed or not. Obviously that's a real downside if it can't be overcome.

The 5200's integrated IDE controller does not support longer signal ways (read: signal integrity). It may be overcome by e.g. some PATA 2 SATA adapter. The adapter is connected directly to the PATA connector, it holds some logic and you can connect some SATA devices to it.
    But while possible this is *nothing to recommend* IMO. The Efika is a really nice device, but no all purpose desktop computer and shpouldn't be treated as one. IMO the best inetrface it offers is the network jack.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.03.07 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Well, let's talk about that. I do recall reading that the Efika has trouble making use of a second IDE device on its single IDE connector, that there is some sort of difficulty when one connects the ribbon cable to a second IDE device. However I do not know whether that has been confirmed or not. Obviously that's a real downside if it can't be overcome. But why wouldn't it be possible to overcome this?

Even if you were to overcome that it still wouldn't work as confirmed by someone else (I think it either was Geit or a friend of his), connecting a DVD-ROM directly to the connector (atleast as directly as you can (ie, adapter + homemade cable with inverted lines etc)) doesn't work properly; QED.

- CISC
  • »21.03.07 - 17:39
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 20:02 ]
  • »23.03.07 - 10:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    Quote:

. But hey why not go all the way and put twin SATA connectors on the board as opposed to an old PATA IDE connector?

Because the 5200B has logic for PATA IDE integrated. To add SATA you'd need a dedicated controller.
    Would add unwanted costs.

The biggest technical drawback of the Efika is IMO still the lack of high speed usb. Especially since high speed usb does not require much more logic than usb 1.1 (both are about 20.000 gates IIRC). But that's what Freescale did. We cannot change it (now).
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »23.03.07 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    As amazing as this sounds it is true. Gerald, Raquel and I are in a taxi in the Lincoln Tunnel on the way to a meeting in NYC. We just read a few of the comments in this thread and we will post something about this later. Here is the word from Gerald: DVD works. MorphOS works. Freescale loves it.

Any questions? See EFIKA MorphOS video online at PowerDeveloper.

More later...

R&B + G :-)
  • »23.03.07 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    This is all great news. I can see it now. Car + Efika + MorphOS = Tech-My-Ride!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »23.03.07 - 18:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Great to hear Freescale love it.
    --

• »23.03.07 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website