trance troubles
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    hello there,

in last times, i have several troubles with my morphos. it's always caused by the trance task, which eats 100% of the cpu, and almost nothing is usable. this busyness lasts sometime for seconds, sometimes for tens of seconds, and sometimes for minutes or forever (or i wasn't patient enough). what could it be? i tried to upgrade to the new trance from the morphos update, but nothing changed. it happens with many 68k applications, like ibrowse, ced, etc. any help?

thanks and bye, MarK.

ps: i has mos 1.4, kickstart 50.60 (1.4.5?) and peg2
  • »11.03.07 - 20:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    It goes away if you shutdown pegasos and restart :-P

It is possibly an unidentified Trance bug (an uninitialized variable) where Trance happens to busyloop. Sometimes it helps if you quit 68k programs and type avail flush in the shell, sometimes reboot fixes it but only complete shutdown is guaranteed to fix issue (OpenFirmware fills the first 256MB when machine is powered on).

Though Trance bug is more likely to occur if you have memory problem... what is your memory setup? Two DIMMs?
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.03.07 - 21:35
    MarK
    well, yes, i have two dimms, one 512, one 256, truth is, that i don't remember, this ever happend before i attached the 256 one... will try to remove it and test it. nevertheless, few weeks ago, it happend just sometimes...

bye, MarK.
  • »12.03.07 - 12:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I have also two dimms, 512MB and 256MB and I have got the same problem.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »12.03.07 - 13:44
    MarK
    okay, and did it work, when you removed one module? i'm at work... can't test in now... hopefully tonight i will...

bye, MarK.
  • »12.03.07 - 13:50
    MarK
    hello there,

at last, i have tested this issue, removed the 256 megs module, and... everything is just fine. no more trance freezees. it's great to have it working again... but... why? perhaps, the problem is, that my 512 megs module is 333 MHz, while the second was 400 MHz? could this be the problem? will there be some workaround for this? wouldn't i be able to use more memory until i buy the same module? (and wouldn't it happen also with two same modules?)

bye, MarK.
  • »04.04.07 - 06:30
    Golem
    I've seen the same thing with two different pairs of matched modules here, so don't get your hopes up.
  • »04.04.07 - 15:22
    Profile Visit Website