MEncoder: 0.91 is unable to read a DVD which 1.0pre8 reads
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi all,

I wonder why MPlayer & Mencoder 0.91 (which I still prefer for DivX encoding because the DivX files which 1.0pre8 produced cannot be played on my stand alone dvd player) is unable to read some of my DVDs which 1.0pre8 does read without problems.

I ran Snoopdos to see whats going wrong, and I can see that opening my dvd device works on both MEncoder versions but 0.91 aborts nevertheless with the message that my dvd device cannot be opened.

So, what is the problem of 0.91? An outdated version of libdvdcss, maybe?

[ Edited by Schlonz on 2006/12/17 23:17 ]
  • »17.12.06 - 22:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

So, what is the problem of 0.91? An outdated version of libdvdcss, maybe?

Not really, nothing changed with that aspect of libdvdcss for a looong time .. however the problem is likely to be a bug in the MorphOS code which was fixed for 1.x that caused problems with certain drives...

- CISC
  • »18.12.06 - 10:00
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Well, at least there was one further release of libdvdcss (1.2.9) - Mencoder 0.91 uses 1.2.8 of libdvdcss. But I have no clue if that version of libdvdcss is any better.

As Mencoder 1.0pre8 for MorphOS still misses MP3 audio format, and as the mpeg4 files produced by this version seem not to be as standard compatible format as the files produced by Mencoder 0.91, would it be much work to fix the bug which prevents 0.91 to read certain dvds and recompile 0.91?
  • »19.12.06 - 22:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Adding mp3 support in 1.08 would make more sense.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »20.12.06 - 11:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Well, at least there was one further release of libdvdcss (1.2.9) - Mencoder 0.91 uses 1.2.8 of libdvdcss. But I have no clue if that version of libdvdcss is any better.

No, like I said, nothing really changed there...

Quote:

as the mpeg4 files produced by this version seem not to be as standard compatible format as the files produced by Mencoder 0.91

I'm not sure what you're basing this on, but I'm assuming it's the new fourcc (that changed from DIVX to FFMP), you can fix that easily with "-ffourcc DIVX", and it should play in most players again (ie, the ones that don't know about the new fourcc)...

Quote:

would it be much work to fix the bug which prevents 0.91 to read certain dvds and recompile 0.91?

No, not at all, go ahead (iirc all you need to do is update libmpdvdkit2/ioctl.c). ;)

- CISC
  • »20.12.06 - 11:32
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    CISC, you are my hero ;-)

-ffourcc DIVX did the job. Now my stand alone dvd player likes the output file produced by 1.0pre8. Thanks! (Why did the MPlayer team change the fourcc to FFMP if this leads to a silly behaviour of stand alone dvd players?)

If now Fab would compile a Mencoder 1.x version with mp3 support... that would kick pretty much ass!
  • »20.12.06 - 21:28
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well, i already tried and didn't have much luck with libmp3lame, which only produces an horrible sound. I probably did something stupid. I'll check that again when compiling a more recent version of mplayer.
  • »20.12.06 - 21:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Glad to hear that, Fab, and thanks for your efforts.

I hope that you can manage to fix the mp3 problems.
  • »20.12.06 - 22:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Why did the MPlayer team change the fourcc to FFMP if this leads to a silly behaviour of stand alone dvd players?

Because libavcodec's MPEG-4 codec doesn't actually output the b0rken mess that is called DivX (although it can be made to do so to some extent if that's what you really want), changing the fourcc is really a fix as it means the video has a chance to be recognized as what it is and decoded accordingly (it's more or less a fluke that it happens to be viewable with the old fourcc ;) ), however it is a slightly "reptile and externally born hard-shell cased embryo" situation as players need to recognize the new fourcc too, but the cycle needs to be broken at some point if you want a decent outcome...

Anyway, if you have no way of influencing what fourcc's your player handles there's the solution mentioned above, and even if you already have files with the new fourcc you can change them post-mortem with a hexeditor or a fourcc tool.

- CISC
  • »21.12.06 - 12:40
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi Fab,

I just tried out your just released port of MPlayer & Mencoder 1.0rc1, and it seems to be GREAT. Thank you very much for mp3lame encoding support. I did a quick test with mp3 encoding, and it worked. Fantastic!
  • »07.01.07 - 21:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    I have just tried the latest version of MPlayer too. Some initial problems with wmv3 playing are now being resolved and it looks good, but there are a few things still missing from this player:
    Support for several AVI codecs like IV40 and CRAM (or something)
    There is no sound in 3gp videos.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »08.01.07 - 04:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    I have a number of old AVI files that need IV50 codec. Currently I can play them only on my Amiga4000 by means of AMP. I would like to be able to convert these movies into a more modern and universally viewable format.

MPlayer plays the sound of these AVI files but complains since the video codec is missing. This codec, as well as IV40 and others, is available here at the MPlayer homepage in Linux-PPC format. :idea:

I hope that Fab will be able to insert all these codecs into MPlayer and MEncoder when he will compile the next versions... :roll:
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »08.01.07 - 23:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Currently I can play them only on my Amiga4000 by means of AMP.

AMP works on Pegasos too doesn't it? Besides, Frogger (hmmm, maybe not 2.07) supports these as well...

Quote:

I hope that Fab will be able to insert all these codecs into MPlayer and MEncoder when he will compile the next versions...

It's not that simple (completely new code to load them must be written), and thus not likely to happen, especially since these codecs no longer are used.

- CISC
  • »09.01.07 - 04:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ CISC

> AMP works on Pegasos too doesn't it? Besides, Frogger
    > (hmmm, maybe not 2.07) supports these as well...

Argh!

Frogger060 (with xanim Indeo decoders) freezes the system when I try to play those old AVIs.
    FroggerNG plays the soundtrack of the movies, but displays nothing.
    AMP2-BETA (030331), that I tried successfully on the Amiga4000, does not recognize BGRA video modes on the Pegasos and quits.

After your comment I searched for more recent versions of AMP and found them on AmiDog's website [AMP2-BETA (040716)] and on Aminet [AMP2-MOS].

AMP2-BETA (040716) shows the first frame of the movies and then stops and complains: "Failed to create audio decoder task".
    AMP2-MOS gives the same result.

Anyway both play perfectly my Indeo-coded AVI movies with the NOAUDIO option...

In conclusion, either I see silent movies, or I hear soundtracks only! I'm a bit disappointed...

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2007/1/10 0:14 ]