amiga forever 2005
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Does anyone here have 'amiga forever 2005' ?

I would like to which company the amiga ROM files are licensed from.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »20.12.05 - 19:24
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Quote:

Does anyone here have 'amiga forever 2005' ?

I would like to which company the amiga ROM files are licensed from.

I use the Amiga Forever Package (as well as the excellent AmiKit and AmigaSys) for Amiga Emulation on my laptop when I'm travelling. According to the documentation supplied with Amiga Forever 2005:-

"The Amiga emulation and OS components implement Amiga technologies which have been licensed by the owners of the Amiga intellectual property portfolio, as well as by other parties, for use in Amiga Forever."

I presume the "owners" mentioned above are Amiga Inc?

TrevorDick

[ Edited by TrevorDick on 2005/12/21 4:17 ]
  • »20.12.05 - 21:17
    Senex
    @TrevorDick

The "owners as well as other parties" refers to (Gateway-) Amiga Inc. and some individual developers:

"When, during the development of Amiga Forever 6.0, it became aware of the fact that the legal status of certain files included in the original "Amiga OS 3.9" distribution was under challenge, Cloanto decided to additionally license certain third-party version 45 contributions not only from the publishers, but also directly from the respective developers and copyright holders (who never granted any exclusive licenses). While this may result in a best case scenario where some version 45 files are licensed not once but twice for use in Amiga Forever, in the worst case certain files would at least be covered by the licenses granted for Amiga Forever by the individual developers (plus the license which applies to the previous code of which the new version may be a derivative, e.g. Amiga code already licensed for Amiga Forever by the successors of Amiga Corporation, formerly Hi-Toro)."

http://amigaforever.com/kb/5-107.html

@Darth_X

Amiga ROM and OS files (c) 1985 - 1997 Amiga, Inc., licensed for Amiga emulation use only.

Amiga is a trademark, or a registered trademark of Amiga, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
  • »21.12.05 - 06:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Thanks for the more complete definition.

trevorDick
  • »21.12.05 - 16:14
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    I wonder if this is the same license text as found on the website as well as the product cd-rom.

It still doesn't answer whether AmigaInc itself actually owns the amiga roms or if they are licensed from Gateway's Amiga Developments LLC or another party.

[ Edited by Darth_X on 2005/12/25 0:08 ]
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »24.12.05 - 23:38