Poseidon 3 on its way !!!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    some of you may have noticed that Poseidon 3.2 is out for Amiga 68k machines on test purpose. It supports USB2. It was made available on Chris Hodge's website yesterday. http://www.platon42.de/poseidon.html

MorphOS version is supposed to come later...

wonderful news huh ?
  • »19.12.05 - 16:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Yes, that is awsome indeed. But High speed *driver* for MOS is still
    marked as part of MOS 1.5 (author: Nico?).
    Currently we benefit from the better stack, but for high speed we
    still have to wait a bit, either until MOS 1.5 sees the light
    or until that driver is published in an independent release.

Anyway, Chris deserved respect fo his work, and I am sure he will
    welome the one or other donation, may it be some money or an item from
    his Amazon wishlist.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.12.05 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Wow!! I cant wait. I've been looking forward to its release for a long time.

I notice its no longer free. Well no limitation for us MOS users, but we still will have nag requesters pop up. Looks like I will be sending him something off his wish list.

[ Edited by Acill on 2005/12/20 4:01 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.12.05 - 04:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    > Chris Hodge's

That would be Chris Hodges'.

Update is available now. And you were right about Nico's USB2.0 drivers.

http://www.platon42.de/files/usb/PoseidonV3MOS.lha
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »20.12.05 - 08:31
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Cool :-D Thank you !!!
    A happy christmas & birthday & new year to you Chris !
  • »20.12.05 - 08:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Hi Chris,
    Unfortunatelly I have to fill the first bug report. (I used also the inbuild tool, however, hope its ok to do it here again ;) )

mprefs seems not to work, at least here it crahsed immediatelly. (Meditation)

The Popups which appear after settings are changed brought the whole machine down after second time.

Have to do some tests though.

Oh and one suggestion, as the German Poseidon Guide is indeed *very* incomplete, could you perhaps let the script copy both guides when one select the german guide?
    (Have to download the Poseidon Archive again, because I forgot to copy the english guide)

Beside that, well done :)
  • »20.12.05 - 09:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Bladerunner:

I dont think this is the place for this kind of post.. :-?

@ Platon

Thank you very much. Have a great holiday and New year

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.12.05 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Magnetic:
    Why? This is a message Board, the Subject is Poseidon 3, I tested it, found two problems, posted them.
    The reason was not to piss of Chris (and I really think he didn`t get it like that) but just to report it (I am currently not registerd on the Poseidon ML). Perhaps this can lead to a fast fix, and even if not (I don`t expect anything however) others might find it usefull when they are informed, that there *might* be crashes involved.

You may remember that I did the same when MOS 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 updates arrived, and I guess that *some* people found that usefull.
  • »20.12.05 - 09:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    hey sorry Mr. HodgeS 8-)

thanks for this amazing update, donation is much deserved !!! ;-)

edit :

well well well... it doesn't look like a donation for a free software. You MUST donate to get the keyfile which is a strange and clumsy way to "force" users to donate.
    Chris, look at the bounties here, do you think you needed that ? MorphOS users seems to be generous enough. I was ready to give you a decent donation but now i feel like i have no choice which is not flattering at all for my generosity.

odd amiga world...

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2005/12/20 21:13 ]
  • »20.12.05 - 09:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Chris & Thread

Great news! :-)

BTW, since USB isn't DMA driven, any ideas what kind of performance on USB2 one can expect on a 600MHz G3? And a 1GHz G4? Is it possible to reach full USB2 speed? Sorry for the clueless question ... ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.12.05 - 18:53
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    @SoundSquare

I fully agree with you, this is not the way to ask people for donations, he is forcing them to pay.
    I think I'll keep using Poseidon v2.
  • »20.12.05 - 19:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Come on guys, whats wrong with you?!?! Sorry, but I don`t understand it. We as MorphOS Users get this Software actually for *free* , 68k Users have *to pay* for the Update but you are complaining? it is even your Decission how much you want to pay.
    And if the requester is sooooo annoying for you, there is even a way to make it dissapear, if you don`t want to register.

*sigh* and *I* had pricks of conscience, because due unemployment, I can`t donate as much as I think it is worth for me.
  • »20.12.05 - 19:52
  • Ex-Member
    > BTW, since USB isn't DMA driven, any ideas what kind of performance on USB2 one can expect on a 600MHz G3? And a 1GHz G4? Is it possible to reach full USB2 speed? Sorry for the clueless question ...

USB on PCI is usually DMA driven (except for Elbox products ;) ). I've go no idea how the EHCI driver written by Nico performs, but I guess it's way above 8 MB/s.
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »20.12.05 - 19:57
  • Ex-Member
    > well well well... it doesn't look like a donation for a free software.

No, I never said that Poseidon V3.2 was free. It's two years of work.

You have a lot of choices:
    o Don't upgrade, if Poseidon V2.2 is good enough for you.
    o Upgrade, use it at will, but don't get a keyfile. Put up with the requesters.
    o Upgrade, only use it when you need it (i.e. USB devices connected) and you will only get the requesters during that time.
    o Upgrade, get a keyfile for whatever you seem is appropriate.

The choice is yours. Poseidon is not Open Source or Freeware. Unlike hardware, which people seem be willing to spend half their monthly salery, you can freely download and install it, but it doesn't mean that it's /less/ worth.

> Chris, look at the bounties here, do you think you needed that ? MorphOS users seems to be generous enough. I was ready to give you a decent donation but now i feel like i have no choice which is not flattering at all for my generosity.

I don't like bounties. They're like duties, once they have been set up. And moreover, no one ever proposed (!) a bounty for USB stuff.

Again, this isn't mainly about money (otherwise I would not have given you the choice to pay whatever you like), but about appreciation in the symbolic sense. Similar to the Deli14BitGenie which was Postcard-Ware.

And it's not about generosity, but about showing that you care.

Best regards and have a nice evening...
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »20.12.05 - 20:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

BTW, since USB isn't DMA driven, any ideas what kind of performance on USB2 one can expect on a 600MHz G3? And a 1GHz G4? Is it possible to reach full USB2 speed?

In fact normal USB HC (UHCI, OHCI, EHCI) relies on DMA and they can not work without (like Ethernet controllers, I guess FireWire....).

Bye
    Nico
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »20.12.05 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Chris & Nico

Ah OK, I guess I have completely misunderstood the whole USB vs. FireWire debate then?
  • »20.12.05 - 21:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

platon42 wrote:
    > well well well... it doesn't look like a donation for a free software.

No, I never said that Poseidon V3.2 was free. It's two years of work.

You have a lot of choices:
    o Don't upgrade, if Poseidon V2.2 is good enough for you.
    o Upgrade, use it at will, but don't get a keyfile. Put up with the requesters.
    o Upgrade, only use it when you need it (i.e. USB devices connected) and you will only get the requesters during that time.
    o Upgrade, get a keyfile for whatever you seem is appropriate.

The choice is yours. Poseidon is not Open Source or Freeware. Unlike hardware, which people seem be willing to spend half their monthly salery, you can freely download and install it, but it doesn't mean that it's /less/ worth.

> Chris, look at the bounties here, do you think you needed that ? MorphOS users seems to be generous enough. I was ready to give you a decent donation but now i feel like i have no choice which is not flattering at all for my generosity.

I don't like bounties. They're like duties, once they have been set up. And moreover, no one ever proposed (!) a bounty for USB stuff.

Again, this isn't mainly about money (otherwise I would not have given you the choice to pay whatever you like), but about appreciation in the symbolic sense. Similar to the Deli14BitGenie which was Postcard-Ware.

And it's not about generosity, but about showing that you care.

Best regards and have a nice evening...

You are so right! :-)
  • »20.12.05 - 21:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Platon

I'm a little confused.. do MOS users need to reg for the full 38 eu? (which is like $50 us) I am willing to donatte and appreciate your work. But $50 us is high for me right now.. :(

magnetic

BTW: The new stack has loads of nice features and I like the popups too :) Although sometimes they keep popping up saying device was removed and then pop up saying its recognized but I never removed the printer or usb stick!

[ Edited by magnetic on 2005/12/21 2:44 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »21.12.05 - 00:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi magnetic,

please read carefully what Chris wrote. He said that it is up to you how much you pay for a key. If you want to pay the full EUR 38, ok, no problem. If you want to pay EUR 200, no problem either. If you want to pay EUR 3, this is ok, too. So, it is totally up to you how much you pay.

And even if you do not pay, the only limitation is that you get sometimes requesters which tell you that the copy you are using is not registered.

BTW: I get the same probs with Poseidon V3... sometimes when I quit Trident everything which is connected via my hub gets disconnected, even my mouse. And: mass storage devices are not as compatible anymore, so at least regarding this the old Poseidon version was better. This kinda sucks ;-)
  • »21.12.05 - 01:03
    Senex
    Quote:

*sigh* and *I* had pricks of conscience, because due unemployment, I can`t donate as much as I think it is worth for me.

Same here, especially this month (christmas presents for my fiancée and the family) - but once I'll have a job again, I'll revisit Chris' Amazon wishlist. :-)

@Chris

Thanks, the keyfile did arrive!
  • »21.12.05 - 06:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @Chris

alright, thanks for making it clear. I get your point now.
  • »21.12.05 - 08:30
    Develin
    Many thanks for the update Chris!
    Will register when the paycheck arrives for sure =)

Poseidon is the best solution since sliced bread IMO.
  • »21.12.05 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Senex wrote:
    Quote:

Same here, especially this month (christmas presents for my fiancée and the family) - but once I'll have a job again, I'll revisit Chris' Amazon wishlist. :-)

@Chris

Thanks, the keyfile did arrive!

Here is another one moving into unemployment (or rather, going back to being employed by himself, like before! ;-))!

I am sorry I can't show the support to Poseidon I would like to ATM, and I am also sorry I won't be able to donate to MZ or the bounties this month! I must prioritize the funding of a venture of my own for now! ;-)
  • »21.12.05 - 23:03