Soundblaster 128 (not live)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    I have problems getting my Soundblaster Card to work.

It is a Soundblaster 128 with CM5880 Chip.
    it is well recognized with pciscan, as the card was working before in a PC, I assume that the hardware itself is ok.

The confusion is, according to the AHI Readme Soundblaster 128 is supported, and in another thread here on MZ Acill also stated that this card is working.
    However, I did some research because I remembered that there are some older Chip revisions which won`t work.

There I learned that my Chip is indeed supported in Linux, but there are different drivers for the Soundblaster 128 and Soundblaster live, the later one uses the emu10k driver, while the Soundblaster 128 has another one.

So my Question: Is the Soundblaster 128 indeed supported by AHI`s emu10kx driver? (Perhaps it just merged all different drivers together)
    If not, where do I get the right driver? According to several Forums, Amithlon as well as AOS 4.0 supports the Soundblaster 128 but afaik they use another driver?!

Does Soundblaster 128 perhaps not working at all with MorphOS?

The Installation itself is ok (I think so at least)
    emu10kx as well as emu10kx.device are copied to the right place, openpci.library is also the latest, AHI is 6.0rc3

But no Soundmodes, and the live mixer moans no Hardware installed.
  • »20.08.05 - 05:56
    Golem
    Quote:

Is the Soundblaster 128 indeed supported by AHI`s emu10kx driver?

No.
    Quote:

where do I get the right driver?

AFAIK there is none (for MorphOS).
    Quote:

Amithlon as well as AOS 4.0 supports the Soundblaster 128 but afaik they use another driver?

Yes.

FWIW I think you'll get better results with onboard audio than an SB128, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • »20.08.05 - 06:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

FWIW I think you'll get better results with onboard audio than an SB128, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

true, the onboard soundchip has better quality than a SB128 and is fully supported by MOS and Linux so don't waste any effort on this :)
  • »20.08.05 - 13:52
  • Just looking around
    RedMelons
    @Bladerunner:

Quote:

According to several Forums, Amithlon as well as AOS 4.0 supports the Soundblaster 128 but afaik they use another driver?

I have a Soundblaster 128 (Creative Vibra 128) in my AmigaOne XE and the driver it uses is Devs:AHI/sb128.audio by Ross Vumbacca. I don't know if there is a version of this for Morphos (or if this version would work in Morphos), but you definitely need a SB128 specific driver - the emu10kx.device will not work.
  • »20.08.05 - 22:10
  • Just looking around
    RedMelons
    @SoundSquare:

Quote:

the onboard soundchip has better quality than a SB128

I have a SB128, and am pretty impressed by the sound I get from it (doesn't it all depend on the speakers?) after migrating from an A1200 with CM8833-II monitor :-)

I'm not at all musically inclined, but could you give me some sort of quantitive idea of why the SB128 is inferior to other cards (it is cheap after all)?
  • »20.08.05 - 22:16